1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v = Chip/ding magnet?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by shawnph1970, Jan 4, 2014.

1. shawnph1970

shawnph1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius v is <60 days old and has <700 miles on it. The driver side window already has a chip in it. Happened while I was driving on a 4 mile stretch of interstate today. I went to Toyota immediately since they were at the end of the bridge I was on at the time. They sent me to a glass company. $205.13 to replace + cost of tinted film, which I think I'd not put back on in the front for a number of reasons.

Looking at the car, there sure is a lot of glass. The side glass seems to stick out more than my last vehicle. But I may be imaging it since I'm analyzing how a tempered glass side window on a car even gets a chip.

I'm debating if I go ahead and get the window replaced since it's a brand new car or live with it.

Has anyone else had dings in side windows? In 30 years of driving, I have never had a single side window chip until today. Just lucky or is this common for Prius?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Haven't noticed any issues in 2 years, 19k miles, local and interstate.

Prius v has a lot of glass area, but less than a Dodge Grand Caravan, albeit that is a larger platform.

3. Richard Hanson

Richard Hanson New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my prior car (a Subaru) I successfully used a cheap windshield repair kit to repair a small chip and associated cracks in my windshield. I bought it at one of the big-box stores. If the chip isn't too big, you might want to try that before buying a new window.