1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v dashboard display disappeared

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rosana, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Rosana

Rosana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a Prius v. When I am driving the Prius v on highway, the dashboard display disappear without speed and all the dashboard indicators. It was pretty scary. Brought it to Toyota dealer and they said they cannot replicate the problem. The dashboard display come on and off. Sometimes when I drove through a tunnel, it seems to trigger it. It also happen on bright daylight driving too. Any idea ???

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know the v dims the dash at dusk, are you sure the dial for the instrument panel is turned up?

[​IMG]

cwerdna likes this.
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What option level do you have?

Does the left hand stalk that controls the lights have an "auto" indication...4 options instead of 3. You might be on "auto" and a sensor detected it was dark and turned your headlights on and your rotating dial in the above picture is turned down. It only works when the lights are on and if they came on because the auto-sense only available in the higher end models (five?) was on...

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with the above. The dash is brightest in the daytime. Sometimes driving into the shade or through an underpass will dim it.

5. Rosana

Rosana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much for the info. My Prius V only has 3 positions on the left hand stalk. No auto feature. I turned the dimmer switch all the way down. I still can see the dashboard with no problem. Not the same as before where the whole dashboard display disappeared.

6. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you happen to have anything on top of your dash that may have obscured the light sensor??

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a v wagon, but on my Gen 2, turning the dimmer wheel has no effect when the headlights are off. It only has an effect when in parking light or headlight on mode.

This behavior is pretty standard across other Japanese cars I've driven.