1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Prius v ends US run, Rav4 hybrid took its sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Prius V hybrid wagon ends U.S. run; RAV4 Hybrid took its sales

Well, many of us suspected this was going to happen sooner or later. I wonder what would happen if Toyota made the v a plug-in?

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A Prius v PHV/Prime would lose as much cargo space as the Prius Prime at this point, is my bet.
    And people would still opt for the Rav4h for the AWD.

3. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    When I was shopping for a 2017 car (it had to be a Toyota for reliability reasons), I looked at all options. I test drove the Prius Prime 2017. It was nice, but it only fits 4 people and sacrificed trunk space. Sometimes I buy furniture and Home Depot stuff and need some cargo space. The Rav4 is nice but the MPG was not what I was looking for. Prius is nice but again, not much cargo space compared to v. So yea, the v was the best option for cargo space and MPG. I am really loving it. I drive it in PWR mode now. It gives me a nice zip in traffic with no loss of MPG that I can see. I am noticing a gain in MPG but have yet to confirm that until next week on my next gas fill up. I have done and plan to do a lot of road tripping. It has done well. So it being discontinued sucks. But the spy photo shows something that looks like a Prius SUV of some kind, so I guess it doesn't really matter what you call it. As long as it does what it's suppose to. So yea I am surprised that the car that I like and chose is unpopular enough for Toyota to discontinue. But that's OK. I like to keep a car that is rare compared to other models. Might hold it's value better.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The RAV4 Hybrid does not OFFER 4WD. It is unavailable without it, IIRC.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

My guess is that when rav4 is redesigned, which should be soon, it will get even more car like. That and the upcoming escape phev would squash the prius v and c-max sales even further. Lets face it, when the honda cr-v crushes the rav-4 hybrid on the highway, and that should be easy to fix with both aerodynamics and engine efficiency in the next generation. The jump to some of the 2018 camry le hybrids drive train (more efficient higher powered engine, lithium battery, the new platform architecture) which was good for a whopping 12 mpg increase should also help the rav4 a great deal.

Compare Side-by-Side

The prius branding doesn't look like its supported by toyota anymore in this low gas price environment.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Canadian site at least shows all the hybrid rav's with "AWD-i (All Wheel Drive with Intelligence)". That's one of those system that switches between 2WD and 4WD on-the-fly, depending on traction detecting by the car's sensors? probably has rear differential fluid to change then.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know there was some early Gen 4 discussion about how 4WD would decrease fuel economy.The EPA rating of RAV4 Hybrid is much lower than the Prius v.

pilotgrrl and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you look at the tesla model S and X you will find that electronic awd actually improves fuel economy. In toyota land its about the same (lexus rx hybrid awd and fwd get same combined fwd gets slightly better on individual tests), but if there was a larger battery and better choices for mg2 and mg3 electronic awd might get better fuel economy.
    Compare Side-by-Side

A mechanical 4wd system will increase fuel consumption and add to weight and maintenance, the trade offs of an electrical one are mainly cost and weight. The slightly increased weight of the electric system can be offset by extra regen braking and choosing different inefficiencies of motors to have one more efficient on the highway while the other is more efficient during low speeds and acceleration.

Robert Holt and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 2018 RAV4 HV Warranty and Maintenance Booklet (US) says to periodically "inspect" the rear differential oil. Then at 60K miles (or 72 months) it says, for Special Operating Conditions only, to replace the oil. The special conditions being: towing, use of car-top carrier or heavy vehicle loading. That special service repeats at 120K o(r 144 months), so there's the pattern.

Considering Toyota's stance on Prius transaxle fluid change, I'd be inclined to change rear differential oil at the interval, regardless of conditions.

10. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Low gas price environment? Uhm, have you driven in California lately? That is a HUGE Prius market and gas prices are $3.25 average right now.

11. ahaslam

ahaslam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How disappointing... The Prius v was that nice sweet spot for me. The normal Prius is too small and the RAV4 hybrid doesn't have the mileage or interior features I want. I sure hope those 2019 spy shots recently shown are some sort of new Prius model that takes the v's place.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The rear wheels are driven by an electric motor only. With many SUV buyers getting AWD, the Rav4h not offering FWD isn't hurting sales.

Toyota's electric AWD reduces the fuel economy by only a tiny bit. The Prius v gets better numbers by having better aerodynamics, and using the 1.8L from the gen3 Prius instead of the larger ICE from the previous generation Camry hybrid. It is much lower than the Prius it is based on though.

That is still cheap compared to Japan and Europe.

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The (US) 2018 RAV4 HV Warranty and Maintenance Booklet (downloaded in pdf format) has repeated mentions of checking the rear differential for leaks, and at 60K interval, for "Additional Maintenance for Special Operating Conditions", includes instruction to "replace rear differential oil".

Access to the Repair Manual would help, clarify what's driving that rear differential. Maybe a single electric motor, driving a shaft going into the rear differential?

Or typos, carry over from the regular non-hybrid booklet? Not sure.

16. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    We're not comparing those countries, just the USA. And it's not but a dollar less than Japan or Switzerland, but they don't drive the distances we have to in the West, making our $3.25+ per gallon even more expensive over miles driven.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's the same system as in the RX and Highlander. It doesn't use the same differential as the ICE model, which would have the longitudual driveshaft coming into it, but a transverse set up, which is more efficient.

Servicable fluid would most likely be used in either if you already have regular maintenance on the transmission fluid.

Complain to CARB, their policies help to drive up your gas prices. Or switch to diesel, it tends to be the same as regular or cheaper, and has more energy per gallon than gasoline.

As for this discussion, hybrid sales follow gas prices. The wider selection of hybrid models is the only reason sales have stayed up. Prius sales have gone down the last two years. Prius v sales have struggled for most of the time it was available. I can find Ford hybrids listed for $10k off MSRP around me. So, yes, for a car company trying to sell cars on their fuel efficiency, gas prices are too cheap.

18. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Actually it's our "democratically elected, idiots in Sacramento" who levied the gas taxes on us, not so much CARB. Again, not in California. Your stats are completely not true. There's more Prii on the road here than anywhere in the world, our gas prices are extremely high (highest in the Nation), and Prius is the best selling.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prius v is a nice taxi.

Bob Wilson

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe it is CARB that dictates your state unique gasoline blends, and prevents federal blends from being used when those refineries are running low. Your high prices aren't just all taxes.

There could be more Prii in Japan, and your high fuel prices does make it popular, but California is just one state in the US. The Prius v was simply not compelling enough even there for Toyota to continue offering it to the country.

Prii were extremely popular when US gas was over $4 a gallon, and that is the norm for much of the world.

pilotgrrl likes this.