1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Prius v ends US run, Rav4 hybrid took its sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 18, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was he able to do so?
    I know some Prius v owners reported being able to nearly match or match standard Prius numbers despite EPA estimates.

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he gets pretty close to his Gen 2 numbers, but a little lower than desired. He travels long distances a few times a year to dog shows. (Virginia to Texas, for instance)

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Rav4 is a huge thing to drive compared to the v. I did a RAv4 and CRV driving comparison about a month ago. Different sight lines. 20% less MPG. I regularly have cargo in my v that in no way fits in my son's 3rd gen Prius. His wife owns a v, BTW. She bought one after reading my list of things people like and don't like about the v.

It isn't perfect. Every car is a trade off between cost, style, function, reliability, environmental impact, etc. But I haven't seen anyone around me that bought a v in the '12/'13 era not still driving it. Of course from a manufacturer's perspective, maybe that is bad.

I'd buy an updated one next year.

4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW, the offset crash test issue was fixed in 2015.

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The next gen Rav4 is in the pipeline. I'm guessing a big improvement in mpg. Here is a link to spyshots:

Toyota RAV4 spy photos show rugged new styling - Autoblog

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it's correct to say the Rav4h took some of the Prius v's sales, and I agree with the premise that those looking for fuel efficiency would pick the Prius, and those looking for cargo space would pick a SUV or crossover. The over lap of those two groups may have been enough to support the v in the US; it was worth 28k to 40k sales annually. But those sales dropped to under 15k when the Rav4h arrived, which was nearly half of the previous year sales.
    Toyota Prius V Sales Figures | GCBC
    Lower gas prices and aging design played a part, but I think the v could have trundled on until the new one, based on the gen4, arrived if the Rav4h hadn't come along.

The third row seat option might have helped the Prius v differentiate it more from the Prius and other the similar sized SUVs, but it was obviously a wagon version of the Prius, and wagons just aren't popular here. The Mazda5 was seen as a small minivan, another unpopular car segment, and the third row didn't save it for the US.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be wrong if I did not at least accept the reality of "some" of the Prius v sales.
    But I think the fatal flaw of the Prius v, was within itself, and it's ultimate failure came from that reality.

Of course this is all personal opinion.
    But I think the dynamic is pretty akin to what we've seen for decades. That is the popularity of SUV's over anything called or more akin to a Wagon or Mini-Van.
    I'm convinced a LOT of people buy anything called a SUV, in great part to NOT be driving a mini-van or wagon. Even if their utility and the demands made of each vehicle would be nearly duplicate.

The Toyota Rav4 Hybrid, In comparison to the Prius v, does offer similar size, and similar cargo carrying capacity, while in comparison to Prius v, only offering 34 city, 30 highway.
    This is in comparison to it's own ICE only siblings that offer 23 city, 30 highway.

A lot of research, development go into the start and introduction of a new vehicle, It is probably correct to say the end of model line is most often a combination of factors. But for me? The Prius v, was always on shaky ground.
    That however doesn't mean, it wasn't a good product.

IMO...today, which would I rather operate? I'd rather go with the more efficient Prius v, than the IMO rather underwhelming hybrid benefit of the Toyota Rav4 hybrid. But if you go one level further? I'd rather drive a standard Prius over either.
    But there evidently were not enough customers, that came to the same conclusion.

8. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    As I said before in the thread, it's not about the amount of customers. They have sold the heck out of the V and are moving in another direction, albeit the wrong one. This isn't the first time a large company has made a mistake, just look at Disney.

RCO and telmo744 like this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm in agreement. I'm just saying the v was doing well enough for Toyota to introduce the new one, if they didn't have the Rav4h. It was selling enough to sustain itself. Like all hybrids, the drop in gas prices lowered sales, but the v suffered a major loss the year the Rav4h was introduced.

Has Toyota cancelled v in other markets?

Americans don't like wagons. The only companies still openly calling a wagon a wagon here are the Europeans. Nearly all the wagons that went by different names; Venza, Freestyle, etc., have been cancelled. The Outback is selling, but people view that as a crossover, and the Legacy wagon is gone.

Losing money to just offer a fuel efficient car isn't going to improve the efficiency of the fleet on the road. The Rav4h might have done more to improve that than the Prius v.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got the 2018 model in Canada. It adds TSS-P (not full speed DRCC though) and Salsa Red replaces Barcelona Red. JBL and 7" MFD no longer available as options.

Weirdly enough, the US is getting the Buick Regal TourX (née Vauxhall/Opel Insigna Estate) but Canada isn't.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So it's likely you'll get the redesign in 2019. It looks more crossoverish in spy shots than the current model. With Li-ion now in the Prius and Camry, North America might get the third seat row if it is still offered. That might give it another chance in the US. That, or an increase in the federal gas tax.

That is odd. Production limits?
    GM might be hoping to make Buick appear more European by having a wagon.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt the third row seat would make it to the US, IIRC, the legroom was cramped when the third row seat was added.
    I think @Tideland Prius had more information on that.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe. If it keeps its size, we could. We prefer small cars. (Ok the F-150 is the best selling vehicle but the best selling non-truck is the Civic)

I do not ;)

I doubt there will be a 3-row version since people who want the 3rd row also want a large vehicle (unlike Europeans who apparently are ok with a 3rd row for just passengers or a 2-row with cargo. North Americans prefer cargo capacity WITH their 3rd row.... I guess the European members can chime in on my view).

So the question becomes, what will they target? or what niche are they filling?

Midsize SUV: HiHy
    Compact SUV: R4h
    Sub-compact SUV: CH-R (if they bring it over)

Full-size sedan: TAH (and Crown in Japan)
    Mid-size sedan: TCH
    Compact sedan: N/A (well the Corolla/Levin in China)
    Sub-compact sedan: N/A

Midsize Hatchback: Prius
    Compact Hatchback: N/A (Auris Hybrid elsewhere)
    Sub-compact Hatchback: Prius c
    Full-size wagon: N/A
    Mid-size wagon: N/A
    Compact wagon: N/A (Auris Touring Sports elsewhere)

I'm still hesitant to call that spyshot from a while ago the Prius v. It could just be the R4h in disguise. They're testing the underpinnings and not necessarily the design. (although it's pretty impressive that the body can fit a Prius' front bumper and the NX' taillight). Alternatively, it could be a Lexus sub-compact SUV hybrid that they're testing.

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But the Civic ain't small no more. The hatch is larger than the Prius.
    Compare Side-by-Side

I don't think Toyota will end the Prius v at the end of this generation. As you mention, the MPV format with three rows is popular in Europe, which has had a surge of growth in the hybrid segment. They are likely popular in areas where larger minivans aren't. But I state this not being familiar with Toyota's international model line up. Hybridizing some another ICE MPV may take the Prius v's place. That may happen with the Prius c with the Yaris hybrid replacing it.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has not said they will end the Prius v. What we saw was they were going to end it for US & Puerto Rico.
    I believe Canada already has the 2018, according to @Tideland Prius

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not ending it elsewhere does not mean they will be releasing a redesigned model to replace it.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US the Camry is the best selling car, but yes the civic and corolla are not far behind. Midsize cars still outsell compacts in north america. The station wagon though, and the v really is a prius wagon, is not very popular in the US, and toyota doesn't have pricing power here.

Five Reasons to Get a Small Crossover over a Wagon and Five Reasons Not To - Motor Trend
    Station wagons are back as an antidote to boring crossovers - Chicago Tribune

The key things to think about when it comes to the wagon market are these. Toyota can have a higher profit margin for a rav4 hybrid than a prius v hybrid, because people expect to pay less for a wagon than a suv. The niche wagons seem to be filling in the US seems to be the more expensive euro wagons. A prius engine in that heavier v just doesn't make sense.

My guess is they could base a wagon type vehicle crossover off the camry hybrid, increase the ground clearance a little, put in a bigger lithium battery and a decent sized mg3 for four wheel drive good enough to work in light snow and heavy rain. I definitely don't think you want the sheet metal to resemble the mirai or prius from the front if you want high sales in north america.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No the 2018 alpha in japan is the same as the 2017. I'm sure this is the same as prius v in canada.

There were spy shots posted last October of a 2019 prius v redesign, that had dimentions like the kia niro. We should know soon whether this will ever be built and whether if it is it is called a prius.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A