1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V engine won’t start

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John Ryou, Jan 30, 2022.

1. John Ryou

John Ryou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2014 V. The other day on my way home the high engine temp light came on. I didn’t notice that the electric motor had taken over. Well, I pulled into the nearest parking lot, and turned off the car thinking the engine needed to cool down(which it did) However, when I went to start the car and place it into gear it wouldn’t shift into anything but neutral. I have been looking around for answers to why my car motor won’t start. I’ve already tried charging the 12v battery via a float charger and the engine still won’t start, even if I hold down the acceleration pedal which normally works. Any ideas on what could be going on, and or any possible fixes.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can you extract any codes? Was the inverter motor generator software recall accomplished? What is the level of the inverter cooler fluid reservoir?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I assume you have the check engine light up. It would be useful to know if the hybrid failure light is also on.

Really need a good code reader that can access many systems to have a starting point on a very complex car like this. You also need to report things like the two coolant reservoir levels.

Then, if guessing is all we have to go by, the electric water pumps could be a problem. Normally you can see fluid movement in the engine reservoir after its warmed up and can see movement in the inverter reservoir.

Possible complications could be a failed inverter, a blown head gasket, low hv battery from too many start attempts, the possibilities are many. So reading the codes is essential.

runnyeggs likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to know the miles too.