1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v extended warranty

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Wanderer, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For those of you with Prius experience, did you find the extended warranty worthwhile? We have always bought them on our Hondas and they did pay for themselves over the life of the car. Did you buy and regret it or wish you had? W

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To be honest, I bought an extended warranty before I came here. A few of the members say it is not worth the cost. So it is up to you if you want to, but according to the guys here, the warranty isn't really necessary.

3. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is that because of a good vehicle with few or no problems or it doesn't cover as much? I have leather like upholstery coming and have read a few comments that it doesn't hold up as well as the cloth. Would this warranty cover that sort of thing, say the driver seat, if it doesn't or would they say no that is just wear? Honda would fix the seat but it's been 10 years since my last Toyota so I have no idea. Its been tough breaking away from a great Honda dealer but they lack in product what I'm looking for. W

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's because extended warranties are priced to make money for the seller, not for the buyer. You are more likely to make a profit by buying lottery tickets.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I honestly don't know. I am assuming you went Prius v 5, as the Leather Softex should be standard. I've only had mine for only 3 weeks at the moment. The dealer I had said the softex would be better for spills as you can wipe it off compared to cloth.

I would admit, I am a cloth seat type myself, but I am sure when you get some decent seat covers, it isn't noticeable.

Whether or not that is covered by warranty, I don't believe it is. I would question the dealer or maybe someone here who might know more, unfortunately, I'm fail new myself.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Keichii. We picked up the cars last night. For this round we erred on the side of caution. If things go well I may rethink the next one.

I'm one of those people that if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none at all. Thanks for your thoughts! W

7. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not get the extended warranty on my 2005 Prius and have had zero problems so far. The car has nearly 130k miles. On the other hand, I did get the warranty on my 2010 and had to use it last week to cover a $2400 repair to replace the brake actuator. I could not have done that without the warranty, so I'm very glad I had it. The warranty covered the entire cost.From this I would recommend getting the extended warranty. Repairs are extremely expensive if you are unlucky enough to need them.
    Don't forget to shop around for the best price on the warranty and you do not need to buy it until just before the car reaches 36k miles.
    Final point - be very assertive about getting any necessary repairs done before the 36k warranty expires. The dealer will try to avoid this - you may have to scream.

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Eoin. In every car I purchased the warranty with it has paid for itself. On my Honda Odyssey I had a major issue at 41k and it ran twice the cost of the warranty, the same happened with the Civic. I kept the Odyssey for towing and we traded the civic on a pair of v wagons. The dealer was quite willing to bend in this situation. The only other coverage I chose was the key coverage on suggestion from a friend who destroyed theirs falling in the water around their boat. I think he said the key set him back over $500.

I will heed your advice. Being assertive isn't an issue for me. I interviewed all areas of he dealer I bought from and politely but bluntly stated my expectations which are completely reasonable. So far they have done very well and thanked me for sharing my needs and expectations. I wanted to know how to jump my V having never driven a hybrid and I had the service manager and a service adviser appear to show me both options. They had trouble finding the under the hood choice so we went through the manual together and all learned something. I do think it's clear by my mannerisms that I can flip the switch to nasty if they won't respond to polite. That is rare though thankfully. My southern roots cringe when it happens. W