1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v four fog lamps

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by zylona, Feb 1, 2012.

1. zylona

zylona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone installed fog lights on the Prius v? Dealership says they can't/won't due to the highly technical nature of the electrical system but the five comes with them so I don't see how it can be such an ordeal. Just wondering...... Love the v - would be so much better with fog/driving lights.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Highly technical for them perhaps... not so much for the DIYer. :)

I suspect there will be kits out soon...

3. antech5

antech5 Member

I just installed aftermarket fog lights for my 2012 prius v wagon. I did a little research on fog lights for the v. turns out that the 2011 and 2012 sienna uses the same identical fog lights. I found a set of brand new aftermarket sienna fog lights along with harness, relay and fog light switch on ebay for $110 shipped. there are two sellers from florida that sells the same kit . I found that the wiring is straight forward , similar to the 2010-2012 regular prius wiring. same brown wire under the kick panel and you have to locate a ground under the dash, there are numerous locations. I just drilled a hole and ran a tap directly into the car's metal frame for the ground nearby of the emergency brake. To run the positive red wire inside the ecu box. You use one of the two bare metal prongs (both are positive terminals) located right in the middle of the ecu box. The fog lights are easy to install into factory locations in the bumper, requiring only one screw each as the other side of the fog two tabs slides into the slots in the bumper. All you have to do is remove the lower middle splash shield to gain access, there are about 12 bolts to remove in all . removal of the bumper is absolutely not required. Removal of the fog light covers requires that you use a screwdriver to push the tabs from the back of the bumper, there are 4-5 tabs in all . Of course you would have to purchase the two fog light bezzels from the dealer, these cost me about $65 shipped from camelback toyota in az. So for $175 I got myself a nice set of working fog lights that looks identical to the factory set up. Took me about 2 hours for the whole install, hardest part was getting inside the foot well to punch a hole through the rubber wiring boot with the screwdriver and run a fish line to pull the single wire from the engine bay to inside the car. It is no secret, or top secret that this kit is is not available . It is available to anyone out there, you just have to do a little research on your own and go for it.

cdrom, TPriusV and anewhouse like this.
  4. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Wow - Thanks, Antech! That's some great info. Please share some pictures if you get a chance.

To the OP - if you're interested in a cheaper and slightly easier option, check out my writeup in this thread. The way I installed the lights, it admittedly looks pretty cheesy, like the cheap DIY solution it is. BUT - it could look very professional if you ordered some better-quality LEDs (or other lights, like the Sienna ones mentioned above), and carefully drilled/cut out a nice slot in the (currently empty) fog light bezels. You could then wire it using my method (easy work-around, for always-on lights) or antech5's (more OEM-like way, for switched lights).

In case it helps - here are some pictures of the fog light bezels, including all 7(!) tabs you need to release.

Good luck,
    Andy

5. cdrom

cdrom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Antech5, your solution for fog lights for a v/2 or 3 still seems to be best one around. As I'm still highly interested in putting them on my v/3 I started looking around and found a set of Sienna 2012 fog lights for $95.00. I also checked with dealer got car from but they want 127.00, vice your Cameback dealers reasonable 65.00 for thel fog light bezels, wonder why the huge difference in price, my dealer is in Alexandria, VA. Also found a sight called JZS international, in Japan selling a complete kit but they want $1,748.00 before shipping - out rageous. Anyway thanks for your information makes my choice easy, especially since the fabled kit has materialized,mfrom that super secret location.

6. antech5

antech5 Member

I have come to the conclusion that when the dealer says that something is not available, it just basically means hey don't bother us with your request. If our parts catalog says it is not available it is not available. As a DIY person myself, you have to do the research yourself and figure it out and share the information. I know there are a lot of guys out there who are skeptical because they take the word of the dealer parts guy who typically are clueless and are trained to tell you what you do not want to hear, but remember they are just doing their job and are just paid by the hour and have nothing to gain or loose by telling you something that you do not want to hear.

7. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    check out the OEM fog light thread... there is a kit out there... a bunch of us have installed already. Also - I found a solution to give us v2 and v3 owners the auto-on headlights. the circuit is there... the headlight switch just doesn't have the position for it - in the fog light kit i used .. you have to tap a wire in the steering column harness for the hi-beam override... well, another wire on that connector - if grounded - if the auto-on circuit. i'm going to add a toggle - to disable for say - the drive-in - but otherwise i will be enjoying the auto-on headlights real soon.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I still want to know more about a Prius v Four, I only see Two, Three, and Five.
    My ideal Four would have 3 door SKS