1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by pauloffroad, May 1, 2012.

1. blacklab

blacklab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Prius V fuel mileage

I've only driven our V for 500 miles but we're getting an average of 43 miles per gallon so far. Thrilled with these numbers given the space this car provides.

2. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I just had my 4th fillup and got 47 mpg on this last tank. temps here in Utah now avg. 75 degrees. In the winter averaging 42 mpg as expected.

3. Priuswagon

Priuswagon I love my Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Just went over 10,000 miles and I am averaging around 48 mpg. My average over the whole 10,000 miles is 46.4 mpg. It is in the sixties in Seattle hope this helps. :)

4. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife only gets 39.4, and when I drive I get 46. It's all technique.

5. tesser

tesser 1st time Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

My mileage stunk throughout winter here in MN, about 36 MPG. Late in winter, I learned to drive in Eco mode almost always, except when excelerating from a stop onto highways. I am now averaging about 45 MPH, much higher since it warmed up. I did average almost 47 MPG on one tank. I am no hypermiler, but Eco mode did wonders. I now have an average of 40.8 on 6300 total miles since mid-November.

6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Short trips combined with cold weather will kill fuel economy. Gas engines just aren't nearly as efficient when they are trying to get up to ideal operating temps.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Touring

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring

I am always puzzled by mpg user reports. Neither my 2009 Gen II, nor our new Prius V, keeps up with these random reports. Never average 50's on the 2009 (combination 70/30 highway/city), and rarely getting 40+ on the 2012 (combination 60/40 highway/city). Still very impressed over all, but really doubt some of the anecdotal reports I see here on Priuschat.

8. HaveNoCents

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I wouldn't doubt the mpg reports. There are some very skillful drivers on this board that can really stretch a gallon of gas.

I never got into the 50's until I upped my tire pressure on the 2011. I haven't been able to get into the 50's with the v, but I know I could if I upped the tire pressure. For me, tire pressure had the greatest impact on mpg.

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is possible because I have done it. When I drove the v like I would have any average car I got 40. When I changed driving techniques after
    watching this video:

(max mpg driving techniques Prius)

Now on our 2 (pair) v we average in the mid to upper 40s.
    W

2 people like this.
  10. HaveNoCents

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That's the video that helped me too.

11. joeruo

joeruo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

At 1750 miles on my V, My average is 47.5

12. CurlingCanuck

CurlingCanuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

Approaching 1900 miles on our Prius V... have thoroughly enjoyed it with one little exception -- depending on the situation, when on cruise control and driving at highway speeds, the vehicle delivers a sudden jerk (albeit mild) when switching from full EV to gas/EV. It takes a little getting used to. I can put up with it as long as it does not become more severe. On a recent trip (combined highway/city driving) over a total distance of 35 miles, we averaged 56 mpg. Overall thus far, averaging 50 mpg.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Miles per Imperial gallon or Miles per US gallon?

14. HaveNoCents

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Thursday we are taking our first v road trip. Going to NJ from Texas, then to Greece for two weeks(hope the car can float :) ), and when we return we will be driving around Boston to visit my daughter-inlaw, and then back to Texas. I am really curious to see how much our mpg will increase on this trip. We will not go below 65 on the interstate at least on the way up there, but maybe a little slower on the way back. Time away from home approximately 29 days.

I am really hoping we can hit the mid-50's on this trip.

Ya gotta just love retirement!!

15. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I'm confused. When you say "highway speeds", are you doing over 46 mph? Over 46 mph, the ICE is running the whole time so you should not be seeing a full EV mode above 46 mph.

16. PriusTom61

PriusTom61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I am driving mixed highway and stop and go. I have averaged 44.4 mpg in 1200 miles. learning how to utilize the peddle allows for better mileage. I have been using the power mode on the v and taking my foot off once reading my desired speed this gives me better fuel mileage. Using the cruise control tends to decrease the mpg somewhat. My former vehicle was getting only 18.5 mpg, this has been a worth while purchase. We also own a 2011 Prius third gen which is getting 52 mpg. There is no modification on how we drive that one, like da-baron above says we drive it like we stole it.

17. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I am really hoping we can hit the mid-50's on this trip.

Took a 2250 mile trip in April...90% expressway...some severe hills..barely averaged(calculated) 40 mpg. We average over 44 mpg in mostly city (Cincinnati/somewhat hilly) driving......Do not be surprised to find out your expressway mileage is not as high as you expect....

18. dland007

dland007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

I've had my 2012 Prius V for about 2 months now. It has just over 2400 miles and it's a pleasure to drive!

I may have found an easy way to consistently attain greater than 50mpg at highway speeds (...but <70mph!). I have been using the DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) that is included as part of the Advanced Technology package. I set the limit at 69mph...then pull in behind a semi-truck. The combination of the truck providing a wind break and the fact that I'm staying under 70mph (which seems to be where the car's ECU acts differently), seems to provide the right conditions for this incredible mileage!

I drive in Indiana - relatively flat and travel approximately 80 miles per day going to and from work. Sure staying under 70 adds about 5 minutes to my commute...but this mileage...I'll live with it!!

Attached Files:

19. HaveNoCents

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Very nice. How far does the DRCC keep you from the truck?

20. dland007

dland007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

The DRCC has 3 distance modes. I use the one that keeps you closest to the vehicle ahead. It varies slightly depending on how consistently the truck is running, however most of the time I'm about 3 car lengths back....very comfortable distance.