1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Gas Mileage in Winter

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by ghettomaximaz, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ghettomaximaz

ghettomaximaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All,

Ive had my Prius v since the summer. At that time I was getting easily 46-47MPG both city/highway. I noticed as we headed into winter that I am now closer to what the EPA has as 41MPG. Nothing has changed with my driving habits. Furthermore I would think that in the winter, the cold air would actually help the combustion engine out and would potentially eek out an even higher MPG but I am getting the exact opposite. I am getting gas from the same gas station and am using regular gas (87 octane).

Anyone else exhibit this? Have any suggestions?

2. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seems natural, given all of the parameters I have read about winter driving. But, in my mind, I keep thinking "why" because most folks use their AIR CONDITIONING during the summer which should really put a drag on a hybrid vehicle. As I stated earlier, my current mph is 36.2 because of defrosting during the morning (idling) to clear up the moisture and ice in order to safely depart my residence. Hopefully, the Spring will bring an increase in mph and then I can look forward to a reduction again during the hot Summer days (air conditioning is a big drag on hybrid vehicles). But, we'll see. I live near Sacramento California. Not a frigid zone at all, but we've had very cold mornings recently for January.

Jack

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Imagine if you had bought a 2001 Prius in September 2001 and every month the mileage plummeted, John1701A did, and kept the faith until spring. Now a days we all know that winter is bad for mileage. Here are John1701A's graphs for his 2001 and 2004, by month.

[​IMG]

John lives in a northern state, my mileage has more of a double hump in the South, as I need A/C in Summer.

5. ghettomaximaz

ghettomaximaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    that graphical representation really drives it home. That coupled with skwcrj post of the link with a ton of info. Makes sense, albeit not happy with it - who would be :)

Thanks all

6. dr.geophysics

dr.geophysics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed this also and was wondering if the battery characteristics changed on very cold days. During warmer weather I drive much more in EV.