1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v horn (is it really that weak?)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Boston Jim, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had my beautiful Prius v for almost a month now and have almost been hit twice by the jacka.s in front of me while waiting for the light to turn green.

The first time I had plenty of room (several feet) and this car in front starts rolling back (seemed like a stick) but instead of the normal several inches rolling back it was the 3 feet of room I had left. While he was rolling back I was laying on the horn but to no avail...he just kept coming. I was looking behind me to see if I could back up to get out of this guys way but I had cars behind me. Luckily he finally stopped (had to be just inches from my bumper). I was very close to having a heart attack with my 2 week old car.

The second was this morning, again waiting at a light, the SUV in front decided he went a little to far across the crosswalk (not actually blocking the intersection) and then pedestrians started to cross, so he puts it in reverse and starts backing up towards me. Again after the first foot of him backing up I lay on the horn and again he keeps coming. I finally put it in reverse and backed up (luckly no cars behind me thank God), while still laying on the horn. He finally acknowledge me with a sorry wave .... But still !!! Just stay put the people will walk around you !

Sorry for my rant, I thought the horn on the Prius v sounded pretty decent (better than the meep meep type horns) while I was outside the car but obviously no one can hear it (or is it just mine they can't hear?). In my old Escape I never had this problem, let alone twice in one month!

I just placed an order for a set of Piaa 400/500hz horns tonight, I just hope it's louder and people will stop backing up towards me...maybe I should just leave one or two car lengths between me and the car in front of me while waiting at lights from now on. Or maybe look for a train horn, that should be loud enough.

I've read several forums hear about the Piaa horns vs. the standard Prius horn but not much mentioned vs. the Prius v's horn. If anyone has knowledge of a comparison to the v's horn I would love to hear if it's worth it to switch the horns or look for something stronger (possible some type of air horn). Thanks.

Ok, ok really end of rant now.

2. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well at first after I read that several members switched to the PIAA horns but I said to myself how often do I use the horn. Then I tried my V's horn in my garage and it's okay but the next day I was on the highway and did try it again and was not that impressed. I ordered a PIAA set and replaced the stock ones. A couple weeks later while I was stopping at the red light just behind the dump truck, suddenly the truck started to backup so I honked my PIAA but the truck kept coming. I put in the reverse and kept on honking but it was too late! I opened the door to see the damages but then the truck took off. Back into my V and followed the truck, took a few pictures to get the plate number, then I saw him run a stop sign!. I turned my camera to the video mode and started filming. He then sped up and run a red light, so I called 911. He ran another stop sign and one more red light and I had to wait for green. The 911 operator told me not to follow and wait for the police but I told her I want to see the driver's face! I kept on taking the video clip and as soon as I passed him, I pulled over and waited for the police at the gas station. I gave all the information I had at the time, then I went home and looked at the clip almost frame by frame and found the company sign on the truck's passenger door. I googled the company and called to report to the owner who promised to talk to the driver. later the owner called and said the driver had no knowledge of the accident! I even mentioned that I upgraded my horn to the PIAA but he said perhaps the driver had the AC on and did NOT hear the horn.
    That was several weeks ago and I didn't hear back from my insurance company. The damages was appraised at $375 and my deductible is $500. It seems like my insurance company may not want to pursue a case when the damages is under $500 even though I sent them the pictures and the clips I took as well as the company information.
    Now who is ranting!

3. TPriusV

TPriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, I feel your pain and frustration! As a motorcyclist being seen and heard are vital. I have always upgraded horns to Highway Blasters, PIAA air horns or Fiamms The Fiamm el Grande below was a cheap upgrade and a simply swap out/in. No need for relay although that'd make 'em louder. Pretty much anything will be louder than the anemic v horns. Good luck!

4. TPriusV

TPriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that's a tale that could've gone scary! Not sure it's worth $373 bucks to be right - not a criticism either! I have certainly felt the anger and frustration of such a thing. But please be careful. A dump truck has a lot of mass and a kook who runs lights might not think twice about running you especially if he's impaired somehow. Insurance companies don't really care about small (to them, not us!) amounts like that. I'd talk to the owner and have him pay your deductible. Be nice but be firm. You can always post the video online and even small companies would not want a crazy guy representing their company. It may be worth pursuing. Good luck and be safe!

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would take the company to small claims court along with a lawyer they get to pay when they lose. The driver was obviously running for his job after being too distracted.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most small claims courts don't allow lawyers, just you and the defendant.

7. Kimberlee Bovee

Kimberlee Bovee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    from Prius C driver.
    Thanks for this info. Recently I was following my husband towing a large boat (he was towing, not me!) and my cell phone was failing me.. I tried pulling up next to him and honking to get his attention to pull into the next rest stop and I never did get his attention. I'd call that a big FAIL on the horn. Luckily I was able to make it to an area with cell phone reception to make the rest stop. :)

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a thread with great pics of the installation process and references to FIAMM freeway blaster low/high dual tone horns:

Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

9. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. egeorge1

egeorge1 Eric

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the PIAA 500/600 recently and it is definitely louder and more assertive sounding. Unfortunately no horn will help when dealing with an idiot.

The horn replacement is very easy, and there are instructions in this forum on all the specifics. I think it is well worth doing.

11. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One of my first mods was replacing the meep meep cartoon horns, Fiamm Freeway Blasters, one low pitch and one high, available at virtually any chain auto parts store, or online to save a few bucks if your not in a big hurry...15 minute super easy install, their big boy horns.

12. TPriusV

TPriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    T
    That sure can scare the daylights out of you when you can't signal with a horn or call on the cell. FWIW, here's a thought, if you are in a situation like this or expect to be in a bad signal area more than once, maybe a CB radio might be good as a back up to contact your husband? I am not sure how a C reacts to a CB radio e.g. electrical interference but there are many filters etc out there. Cobra and Midland make all in one systems in a microphone for a smaller cockpit fit. There are probably threads on this topic somewhere. Good luck! T

13. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just received my PIAA 400/500 horns today and installed them- sound great, much fuller and in my opinion much better than the stock. In my non-scientific testing using an iPad app and the same approx position by the drivers door (so not in front of the horn), the original horn was at 87 dB, while the new one was at 89 dB.

This probably took me about 30min or so to install, most of that was just trying to release the wires from their attachment in front of the radiator for more slack, and then a bit of time simply just trying to start the bolt on the drivers side. I then used a zip strip to secure the wires. Overall pretty easy and fast, and I only dinged one knuckle.

Now hopefully those other lovely drivers on the road will be able to hear me, only time will tell ...

15. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update- in the two months since installing the new horn, people seem to be able to hear me now an no one has tried to back into me, so the new horns seem to be working :)

GerryL likes this.
  16. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why not show the business owner the photos and video of his drivers erratic behavior. I'm sure he will side with his driver but at the least this guy will get repramended for violating stop signs.

18. pakhong111

pakhong111 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Installed HELLA 003399803 Supertone 12V High Tone/Low Tone Twin Horn Kit - 118db when I purchased my new 2004 Prius and with both horns installed, everyone can hear you loud and clear. Avoided several close calls in the past 9 years and worth every penny.

19. Minishark

Minishark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you change out the horns, does it change the small beep that occurs when you lock your car? What about backing up?

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, those aren't made by the horns.