1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V hubcap - touch up paint?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JJWax, Dec 11, 2009.

1. JJWax

JJWax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Do they make such a thing as touch up paint for the silver factory-issued Prius V hubcaps? I screwed up and scraped it against a curb while parking last night.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably not but there have been a few people on here selling theirs (get a few extra). Someone else painted theirs black and that looked pretty good.

3. JJWax

JJWax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What about just using a silver touch up paint pen - like the silver pens they make for the main body?

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note: The Prius V has a painted 17" alloy wheel. There's no Prius V "hubcap" or wheel cover.

But OP's question is still a good one.

I would love it if car manufacturers came out with paint codes and touch-up paint to match the paint on their alloy wheels. (But I would love it even more if they never painted alloy wheels ... I prefer the burnished, brushed, polished alloy look.)

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good catch. Curb rash is really tough on the alloy, not much you can do to fix that up.

6. JJWax

JJWax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Ah, good point. To the naked eye, the alloy wheel color does look pretty similar to the silver body paint on a silver Gen III Prius (I have Winter Grey body). You don't think it's worth a shot with the silver touch up pen?

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Every German car I've owned had wheels painted the same color as the basic silver offered for the car bodies, and I suspect it's the same for Toyota. The wheels on my Prius V appear to match the silver body color of the car, so I'd suggest getting a bottle of touch up classic silver touch up paint from the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The "rim protector" on the 215/45-17 tires didn't protect?

9. JJWax

JJWax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The angle at which I hit the curb must have been just right - no scraping on the tires themselves, just on the alloy. :(

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its not going to be the same silver as the car.

Bodyshops can repair minor curb rash with their airbrush, some detail shops too. You might want to ask around, in the very least you might be able to get your hands on some paint...

11. mechanic

mechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you know, i'd rather use the paint brush applicator than a pen simply for the ease of use. esp on alloy. i def think its something you can fix yourself though with a little bit of elbow grease! try shopping around, find some HQ paint on the cheap: Toyota Prius Touch Up Paint

12. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone find something better than the silver paint for the 17" wheels? I hit a curb today and have a little rash I'd like to make less noticeable.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried the Toyota classic silver touch up paint, and found it to be unacceptable?

As I said in my post above, every German car I've owned had wheels painted the same color as the basic silver offered for the car bodies, and I suspect it's the same for Toyota.

Look at the pic below of my car--the wheels match the body color perfectly.

Attached Files:

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got the silver 2010, the Canadian Touring package, which includes the 17" aluminum alloy, and a Toyota touch-up pen (metallic paint at one end, clear coat at the other). I used that pen to touch up a slight chip at the edge of one of the lug nut wells, and I'd call it a perfect match. Very easy and controlled application with that pen too, btw.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The rim protector on the tire didn't prevent it?

16. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mendel and stream: Thanks! In looking through the older posts, it seemed the jury was out on whether the silver was a good match. Thanks for letting me know that it is. I'll get some and try to undo some of yesterday's glitch.

17. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope. I turned too sharply making a right turn and hit the curb with the right rear wheel. The impact was too much for the rim protector to absorb. There's not major damage to the rim, only about 8" of rash confined to the outer edge of the rim. It's not terribly noticeable, but it's the first scratch on the car since I bought it in October 2009, so I'm really irritated. I looked online and in the yellow pages to see if there is someone who does rim repair for this sort of thing in the Richmond, VA, area, but I didn't find anyone. I'll try the silver touch-up to see if that reduces my grief to an acceptable level. Actually, I'm surprised I haven't clipped one of the rims before now. The low profile tires on the V don't allow much room for error.

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's actually easier not to scrap the rims on the V than the II-IV because of the rim protector on the V's tires, assuming everything is factory.