1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Schne056, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Schne056

Schne056 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius V and the battery seems like it soon needs replacement.
    I have some spare battery Modules from when I repaired my 2005 Prius.
    Will they 2005 battery modules fit the 2012 Prius V?

Thanks

2. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have heard folks put third gen battery modules in to second gen, but I'm not sure if it's compatible the other way. When they swap over the cells, though, they swap all the cells just as they were to avoid imbalance of the pack. If you just swap in individual cells, the pack will be imbalanced and then you will end up with more bad cells because the load is not evenly placed along the pack. Refurbished or remanufactured battery packs are the same way, It's what we all call a whack-a-mole battery. You will hear that term quite often. I would just get a brand new hybrid battery from the dealer. For a Prius v it's about $2,600. But at least you know it's high quality and will last a long time. The dealer charges WAY too much to install it. That's why I'm putting it in myself. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Pretty straightforward as long as you take the precautionary steps just like you would if you are working with anything electrical.

3. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, welcome to PriusChat! FYI: You are moderated until you have 5 or more posts.

4. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got finished replacing the hybrid battery in my father's Prius v with the OEM battery from the dealership. Pretty straightforward process. Took me about two hours with just regular hand tools.

icyrius likes this.