1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (in 10 weeks) Outsells Chevy Volt for 2011

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by car compulsive, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, how about those sales figures? Wait, what?

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I refuse to believe that electricity generated from renewable (12.7%) and nuclear (18.9%) sources are 100% efficient. For example, the best solar panel is less than 38% efficient. Wind capacity factor is 20-40% and requires additional backup resources with additional efficiency loss. Nuclear is 98% efficient.

The figure Toyota use is 39% for well-to-tank. It is unclear if it is for Japan or US.

[​IMG]

5.4 gallons of premium + 16.77 gallons equivalent is 22.2 gallons equivalent. Over 1,693 miles, that comes out to 76.3 MPGe.

How did you calculate and get 84 MPGe?

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As I said, lots of people have chosen to measure efficiency in terms of "possible" energy captured, in which case I agree the renewables and nukes are not. I argue we should be measuring it in terms of fossil fuel used. Maybe next week I'll do a post on the full math for that computation (and I'll put in in new thread under EV discussions).

My bad on the numbers, the 1693 was the wrong line of spread sheet (that is my "reported EV" miles, though since I play Mountain Mode games on longer trips its over the actual pure EV miles by 34miles).

The total miles was 1855.25.

Corrected sig. (thanks for pointing out the error).

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did some total energy efficiency calculation using the Well-to-tank (Fuel production efficiency) numbers Toyota provided. The EPA numbers for Volt and Prius v are just Tank-to-well (vehicle efficiency)

Volt EV: 94 MPGe x 0.39 = 36.66 MPGe
    Volt HV: 37 MPG x 0.84 = 31.08 MPGe
    Volt Composite (2/3 EV, 1/3 HV): (36.66 x 0.67) + (31.08 x 0.33) = 34.82 MPGe

Prius v: 42 MPG x 0.84 = 35.28 MPGe

Prius v will use less energy than the Volt. Volt may use less gasoline but it'll also use other fuel sources from the electricity. Keep in mind those are average electricity and gasoline. YMMV.

Prius v is more affordable and roomier inside yet more energy efficient than the Volt. No wonder it is selling more.

6. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The efficacy numbers being compared are NOT MPGe, they are MPGu (for USB).. MPGe has a formal definition and that's not what you are using.

Can you explain how the factors .39 and .84 are obtained and what they mean? Are they efficiency with respect to optimal generation? What is included in them? (Saying they are from toyota does make them meaningful.)

I would say the Prius v is cheaper and bigger and for some people will be more efficient. But it is far more likely that it is selling better because it is bigger and cheaper than because anyone has done a MPGu computation and concluded its more efficient.

And Prius may get better brand loyalty. Anyone know that is being traded for a Prius v?

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not sure the source of those figure but I got it from this site. Perhaps, it is for US.

I found well-to-wheel analysis done by Toyota for Japan in 2004. It has average electricity efficiency of 34.8% (table 2.6.4). You can look at it to get an idea of how WTW analysis is done.

See this thread to see what people replaced Prius v with.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CR is sure giving Volt a boost in 2012 buyer's guide - excellent predicted reliability, recommended. One negative was seating for 4, and didn't even comment on scant rear seating room. CR often misses things in their brief reviews. In 2008, they said Prius excellent interior room yet didn't even list it as not good for taller drivers. Whitewash job IMO, can't give CR props for that.

back to topic.