1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v - Inverter Converter Radiatior - Warning

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shane Burleigh, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Shane Burleigh

Shane Burleigh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say I am so disappointed in Toyota's Customer Service teams response to the issue I am having with my 2012 Toyota Prius v, and apparently there is no one else at Toyota that wants to hear my issue or concern... No escalation once one person decides it's "not" Toyota's problem.

Recently while travelling on a 80 km/hr paved highway a rock passed through my "grill" and damaged my inverter converter radiator that is completely unprotected and exposed behind this opening, rendering the car undriveable. $900+ repair bill NOT under warranty and NO help from Toyota to fix my car.

I wouldn't reccomend this car for those that don't potential unexpected costs. Once my radiator was hit the hybrid system does not work. Definte risk having to be out of pocket almost 1K after doing nothing but driving down a highway. We all know Canadian roads have rocks on them (take a look at your bumper... or why my dealer sold me on 3M for my hood) but this car offers no protection for key internal parts.

For those with this car I would suggest checking your "grill" and looking at installing some sort of protection in front of where this part is.

Anyone else having this issue or have any success fighting Toyota on this issue?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've noted that unprotected cooler while approaching the car and your cautionary note reminds me to look into a "rabbit wire" or nylon mesh protector. Approximately what diameter was the rock, if I may ask?

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Ask your insurance company as it is not normal wear and tear but rather the result of an accident, like a rock smashing a window.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that insurance is the best bet, but no way is it Toyota's responsibility. Stuff happens, and radiators get damaged every day. Around here you can puncture one by hitting a tumbleweed.

5. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a product defect and it's not Toyota's fault, but your insurance should cover it under your comprehensive insurance coverage.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it man, that's gotta be a first timer. why does canadia have so many rocks?

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with insurance. It is an accident caused by a road hazard.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Most cars offer no protection in front of their radiators in order to maximize airflow through them, which is a good thing.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Most radiators are sized for stationary cooling, with electric or engine-driven fan assistance on thermostatic command. They are significantly oversized for cooling while the vehicle is in motion, create excessive drag at higher speeds, and could be choked dramatically, thereby reducing drag, and still cool adequately.

A layer of wire or nylon mesh an inch or so ahead of the cooler face does almost nothing to airflow through the radiator core, whether due to free stream dynamic pressure ahead of the face or fan-driven scavenging behind the face, but will stop damage from random attacks by foreign object debris.

This weekend's project.

10. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wonder if the OP could share a few more details. 80kph works out to 50mph, and maybe I've led a protected life, but I have never heard of anyone getting a holed radiator element from a rock on a paved road at that speed. It's almost like someone shot it at him (other vehicle spinning its wheels in gravel on the shoulder?).

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good grief - how the OP came to the conclusion it's Toyota's fault for the rock in the road is beyond me. What if it hit the windshield and cracked it, or worse. I guess that would be Toyota's fault too?:rolleyes:

Drdiesel likes this.
  12. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    :ROFLMAO:
    Now you get an idea of what customers say to the service departments when they're clueless :eek:

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Easily done at 50 mph, even easier done if hitting a piece of crushed stone falling from a truck moving at 50mph in the opposite direction.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It's a somewhat exposed cooler location by design, but I take your point. The windshield complaints usually have more to do with cowl/body flex which tweaks the transparency to failure.

15. 2011priusMIke

2011priusMIke Usually tinkering w/something.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry all but I also agree its a design fault.

Most other cars have a grill or screen if you will, that catches any sizable stones that could damage a radiator.

Since the inverter is sensitive to heat, the inverter radiator could use some protection.

I had a stone put a hole in the inverter radiator, let the cooling fluid drain and kill the inverter.

It was covered as a road hazard on my insurance but was a $4100 charge for radiator and inverter.

I'm installing inside grill work this weekend as the car was down for a week.

When it happens to you, you'll understand.

16. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My v has both a lower and upper grill. It may not stop all stones but they'll stop the larger ones, probably damaging the grill in the process. Some car don't have anything protecting the lower part under the bumper - just an open hole straight to the radiator.