1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V & Lexus CT200h= Same vehicle?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by coach81, Jan 12, 2011.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So as I have all but given up on my beloved PHV for now.. I've started doing research on the Lexus CT200h.. while I'm looking at it, I come back here and glance at the V..while checking it out I notice something..

It looks like the exact same vehicle!!!

So.. they also have the same MPG estimate.. and similar features with the Lexus being more "luxurious" obviously...

Go ahead, take a look at the pics for yourself..

My wife has no problem with me looking at the CT200h because even though it is a hybrid- in her words "It's a LEXUS!"

So with the Lexus starting price of about $30K.. will the V come in at the same price? If so.. why not go for the Lexus???

If it comes in thousands less- $25k or so... that is not that much more than the normal Prius.. hmmmm

Just making observations....

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lex is smaller than the prius and has according to toyota improved handling as well as more luxury. The Prius v is larger, with inherant worse handling and slower acceleration. Both use the same drive train as the gen III prius.

3. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about premium fuel? Most Lexi use premium fuel which adds 15-20% to gas cost.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h uses regular 87 Octane gas.

CT200h suspension is superior (fully independent in the back). Driver sit lower on the ground also. It also has horizontal shock absorbers to reduce vibration noise from very stiff frame. Very interesting stuffs.

CT200h has Sports mode. It is not the same as Power mode. Sports mode keeps the gas engine RPM higher and changes steering ratio along with the dash color. Prius Power mode simply remaps the throttle pedal sensitivity.

Cld likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Besides the points already mentioned, they don't have the same EPA estimate. http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/lexus/document/Lexus_MY11_Vehicle_Summary.pdf?ncid=20088 says it's rated 43/40, 42 combined whereas the 3rd gen Prius is rated 51/48, 50 combined.

Personally, I think the exterior styling of the CT200h is much worse than the Prius. I haven't personally checked seen the interior (only photos), but I'm sure the interior quality is much better. For my money, if I were in the market, I doubt I'd buy the Lexus.

From looking at Showroom | Lexus: Darker Side of Green, for a higher starting MSRP, you wouldn't get a bunch of features found on standard on the V w/o paying extra (in some cases, a lot) such as leather seats, auto-dimming mirror, HomeLink transmitter, LED headlights + cleaner, and heated seats. If you want to add nav to the CT200h, it requires you to get a bunch of other packages, making it $5325 extra just to get nav vs. $2480 extra.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not even close to each other - CT is a little sport hatch hottie, v will be a family type miniwagon.

CT is a low slung vehicle with roof height of only 56". v roof height will be over 60".

The CT will not have the linear sweep from the hood through the windshield, it will have a crease at base of windshield which has a steeper angle up.

Look at the pics more closely. CT is only 170" long, v will be about 180". CT looks sporty.

Basically, the Prius v will be very much like a Mazda5. If you go see the Mazda5, you've seen the v.

The CT200h will look much more like an Audi A3 or very similar to a Mazda3 five door hatchback (I came close to buying one of those, a 2011 Grand Touring, it is a great, fun little car, but went with Accord Coupe instead).

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus had a CT200h at the SF auto show. Granted it was dolled up with F sport rims and probably some body trim, but people were hovering and hanging like little groupies. It was hot.

CT is a different vehicle for the sport, more fun to drive, look at me crowd. It is smaller than the Prius, 7" shorter and few " shorter roof height.

Regular Prius, even in five trim is more of a family type sedan car, although the new PLUS additions will hot it up a notch.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe he is talking about Prius V (FIVE). I know, confusion has already began. :p

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Crap. You might be right. :/

coach81: Please clarify, are you talking about the CT 200h vs.3rd gen Prius model V (five) or the recently introduced Prius v (for versatility)?

FWIW, the CT 200h is 56.7 inches high and 170.1 inches long. The Prius v is 62.0 inches and 181.7 inches, respectively.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause the stuff on the V would be optional on the CT200h. In Canada, the CT200h starts right smack in the middle of the Prius' price range (Cdn$30k) but it has cloth seats and 16" alloys. Add the Touring package for moonroof and 17" alloys (to bring it back to US specs) and then another Premium package to add leather, driver memory, Homelink, backup camera and auto-dimming wing mirrors. Though prices haven't been released for the packages in Canada, my guesstimate puts that CT200h Premium Package around Cdn$34-35k. A Tech Pack adds HDD Nav and LED headlights w/ headlight washers. I expect that to be $3k more than the Premium package which puts it near the Tech Pack Prius in Canada ($37k). It's still lacking DRCC, APGS, PCS and Solar Moonroof w/ Remote A/C.

If you're ok giving up the AT Package on the Prius Five for the badge, a much more luxurious vehicle, a better handling vehicle and a cozier vehicle, then the CT is for you.

The Prius and the CT are aimed at two different buyers (But no doubt there will be some who will cross-shop the two like you are doing right now).

11. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure I understand your post.. are you saying the v gets 51 mpg like the regular gen III?

I do not think this is true, based on my research, both the v and the Lexus get about 41 or 42 MPG estimated... which is about the same.

12. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good info, thank you! I agree that the CT is prob going to be "hotter", but you have to admit it does strongly resemble the v.

OK WAIT.. you meant to tell me.. there is a Prius V and a Prius v, as in two different vehicles???

I was referring to the v that was hyped up the other day... I am not familiar with the Prius V.. what is it??? Don't see any reference to a "V" anywhere on Toyota's site???

What is the "badge"? the HOV lane???

13. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    He meant the Lexus "L" emblem instead of the Toyota "Cowboy Hat" emblem. This make you a luxury car owner.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Job Toyota...already the confusion has begun. See if you are expanding a family? You don't usually want to name all the kids Darryl, as in this is Darryl and my other brother Darryl....

Prius V and Prius v with less than a model year between them? Not a good idea. As you move forward? Let's name new models with more distinction than just Capital V vs. Lower Case v.....

This confusion is going to happen a lot...

1 person likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both Darryl models come with identical plaid flannel upholstery.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius V is the top trim (II, III, IV or V) of the current Prius. It is now renamed to Prius Five.

Prius v is the wagon one that just announced. It is a lot bigger than CT200h. It will also have the new Entune head unit with internet apps. CT200h does not have something like that.

1 person likes this.
  17. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    O I C ok.. yeah.. I knew about the V.. the gen III.. not the v that's brand new does it come I - V or 1 - v...

oh man... gonna need a study guide..

18. Crazytwoknobs

Crazytwoknobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easy, We'll retain the Gen III trim levels current scheme, and use another set of characters for the upcoming Prius.

I propose the following: " Prius \/ "

The shape is made with a forward and back slash, usually the questionmark key and the key above "enter".

It's larger (like the car), but doesn't change the name, while making the three symbols distinct:

v V \/

Easy enough? This doesn't settle the pronunciation problem, so it's not perfect. How do we distinguish them in speech? If someone comes up with a good standard, I'd love to hear it.

3 people like this.
  19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, that's a great one.

20. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius