1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v) 2015 - fog lamps (halogen?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by ricomtl, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi!

I just ordered a new Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 2015 (with technology package) and given the 2015 inventory is running short, the one I picked is coming from a town halfway through the country. It should be here in the next 2 weeks.

Are the fog lights standard halogen or LED like the headlights? I'm just wondering if the "light color" will be the same for both fog + headlights are one will be yellowish and one white/blueish. I hate when you light up both and their color don't match (that's my OCD speaking!)... if so, I will start shopping for LED's or HID kit.

Thanks! Can't wait to start driving this car! :)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The foglights use standard H11 55w halogen bulbs.

You can replace the oem foglights easily with something like this:

Toyota Lexus XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source

These are LED and have a sharp cutoff, unlike the oem reflector based foglights that lack cutoffs. Therefore, you shouldn't put HIDs in the oem foglights as they would be pretty blinding to others.

You can also replace your oem foglights with projectors like this:

For Sale - 2010-2015 Prius HID Projector Fog Lights (BOLT ON FINALLY!) $120 | PriusChat

Then HIDs, or high power plug and play LED bulbs can be mounted because they have a proper cutoff shield to prevent glare. These projectors are high quality, and designed to withstand the heat of HIDs.

Alternatively, you can put yellow (2500 - 3000K) bulbs in the foglights and don't worry about them not matching the LED lowbeams. ;)

Yellow foglights are actually better in foggy, rainy conditions, especially when the roads are wet, or covered with snow.

#2 xliderider, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
    ricomtl likes this.
  3. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks xliderider - I will save these links and look them up!

You are right, HID's aren't a great idea for fog lights in the OEM reflective housing...

Are you sure they are H11? I just pulled up the the Sylvania bulb guide and the Prius v 2015 shows H16? However previous years were all H11. I can't post the link here because I'm new on the forum....

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, they are definitely H11.

5. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    darn... I just ordered H16. I looked up the Philips bulb guide + Sylvania + Osram and the Prius v user manual, they all indicate it's H16 bulbs (type 2 socket).

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks again. I see where the confusion comes from - but this means the Prius v user manual is also incorrect?

I see 2011-2014 models listed as H11 and only the 2015 displays H16, I wonder if they did change anything.

The ones I purchased are these one on Amazon and JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets H16 5202 TYPE 2 (with 90 degree angle) LED Bulbs with Projector for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ones with the 90 degree bend will fit.

9. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So the ones I pasted above ( JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets H16 5202 TYPE 2 (with 90 degree angle) LED Bulbs with Projector for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White) listed on Amazon will fit right?

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes

These are for sale:

For Sale - ESUSE LED Fog light for 2010+ or other Toyota | PriusChat

Color will probably match your LED headlights, but they throw a lot of glare/stray light up in people's eyes.

The foglights are the inner lights in the second picture. The outer lights are the LED DRLs. So you can see they color match the LED DRLs pretty good.

ricomtl likes this.