1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) audio issues

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Kaaihn, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Kaaihn

Kaaihn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had the car detailed. Since then, I've had problems with the electronics. At first the touchscreen wasn't working. I took a business card and jammed it between the screen and bezel to clear things out a bit and that got the screen working.

What is still not working though is audio over Bluetooth or USB. I can make calls and the other person can hear me, but I can't hear them. I can stream music from a Bluetooth phone and the head unit says it is playing, but you can't hear anything. Plug an iPod into the slot, radio takes control and says music is playing, but you can't hear it now. At first you could hear it from the right side speaker, but it was low volume and distorted. Now a few days later, nothing. I tried a regular USB stick with mp3's on it. It recognizes the USB stick is plugged in, but you don't hear the music.

Switch to AM/FM/Sat/Aux jack and you can hear music just fine. Anyone ever heard of this combination? It's not just incoming Bluetooth, it's incoming from USB as well not working. Is the BT module hardware connected to the USB module in this car?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did the detailers use so much screen cleaner that it leaked into the head unit?

3. Kaaihn

Kaaihn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's my guess, yes. At a minimum they used enough that whatever gunk was on the dash in the screen area ran down and accumulated in the bezel enough to cause the problem that needed me to clean it out with a card. What I'm puzzled about is why the USB input, which is in a very different location has stopped working, and why bluetooth wont play over the speakers either.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would certainly check all the settings, especially the bluetooth settings and pairings. I would then delete the pairings and pair again. IF that didn't work, I would then do a head unit system reset (which will erase your contacts and favorites).

I am sure the dealer would offer a solution, but it's likely to be replace the head unit. Somebody with lots of time might pull the unit and disassemble to the board level and clean. Hopefully you have complained to the detailers as they may have insurance for this kind of thing.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The USB input has nothing to do with the BT, other than they both feed the same head unit. USB is direct file playback, much the same as playing a CD. Have you tried a CD?
    Give it some time to dry out, but its sounding like a new head unit might be in your future.