1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon...) Wagon (only) MPG - Please Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Robert V. Adger-Barton

Robert V. Adger-Barton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought my 2012 Prius v three. Only around 250 miles driven, but I've seen the auto MPG as high as 56. Right now I'm at 49.x. I drive 80 miles round trip to work, so I'm interested in keeping track. Was driving a Kia Rondo before and spending around 80 bucks a week on gas. I'm excited.

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @RobertV; I love keeping track of MPG on fuelly.com and recommend that you register there to track and share your MPG score too. MPGs will go down when it gets colder. Where are you from? Enjoy the MPG game!

3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Averaging 41.30mpg, min of 39.74, max of 43.20. I drive lots of interstate between 70 and 73mph. The rest is 55mph country roads. I could do a lot better if I did pulse and glide, but I really just get in and drive.

4. st-bob

st-bob Hi-miler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had a used 2004 Prius level 5. It got killed by a deer in September of 2012 with 226,000 nearly trouble-free miles on it.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  5. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    2 month old v Base owner here. My average was in the 37's-38's... Then reading the manual I decided to verify the tire pressure, it was 32 pounds in all four. Guess the dealer didn't read the manual... ;) Inflated them to 38/36 and the average is slowly rising... :)

6. Willum

Willum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius v has 10900, averaging about 40 mpg. Summer driving with a/c and short in town drives are at 35. It's paying for itself as our other car, that tank called a 750 il, gets about 14. In my garage are other German vehicles, Porsches, which get a little better. The v is my favorite. We bought it in April 2012.

7. Thomas Young

Thomas Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Have had our Prius V for a few months now and have about 8500 miles on it. We traveled from Utah to Washington state for a vacation and were averaging about 51 MPG while driving about 70 MPH. Very smooth and stable ride on the open road. Plenty of power, even on the hills. Over the past month since we have been back doing mostly city driving we have been averaging about 48 MPG. We owned a 2004 Prius years ago and really enjoyed that car as well. Only complaint is the dreaded cold start knock has occurred a few times, once while we were in Washington (was the 1st time I ever experienced that, never had that on the 2004 version). Scared me to death!

8. the t

the t New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2012 prius v 5 everything original. last summer went to sandusky, ohio from buffalo, ny. about 325 miles one way. average speed was 65 to75 mph. temp outside 91 degrees. a/c on, set at 72. averaged 46.5 mpg on this trip.

9. the t

the t New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i had 4500 miles on it at the time. e10 gas, only kind available around here.

10. Tom_consulting

Tom_consulting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2013 v -model 5 Everything stock from the factory - first 230 miles we show 40.3. This is Winter in Maine. Hilly terrain, use cruise control a lot. I love the cruise on this vehicle as it seems to hold steady when on hills up or down.
    And since it's the time of year the the sun goes down around 4:00, I'm using the lights, and heater almost all the time. (love the LED headlights too) Happy new owner so far! (y)

Thought I would update this post as I have about 6000 on the car now, and have learned a lot!
    First I learned how to monitor the mileage for the "current" tank of gas by resetting the trip odometer and monitoring that odometer (there are 3!) for the mileage of this tank. Once I figured that out I realized 47 MPG on a regular basis, in cold weather. As things warmed up here I started to see 50 now and then. I also tried a tank of 91 octane just for the heck of it. That tank happened to coincide with some hot weather and the mileage was up at 53MPG for that tank. Switched back to 87 octane and observed 50 to 53mpg depending on the weather. Driving in rain drops it some, driving at 70 mph drops it some, cold weather has an effect even if the heater is not used much. I very happy with the car, we now go for "drives" again! The average for the first 6000 miles is sitting at 45MPG and it's still going up! :)

ps... I can get better mileage without cruise since I can keep it out of the "power band" longer when I hit hills. I'm sure if I wanted to do some hypermiling I could beat my record of 54MPG. ;)

11. RD_CDN_newbie

RD_CDN_newbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2012 Prius V.

My best fuel economy has been 45-47 MPG month of August). This is in the summer with constant stable flow of traffic. The worst has been 30 MPG during -20C weather and traffic stop and start where a normal 20-25 minute trip takes 60-76 minutes. My overall rated economy has been 40.84 mpg (total distance and total amount of fuel used based on 5 months of data from July-Dec) December fuel economy has range from 30 MPG to 38 MPG. (cold weather and traffic issues slowing traffic flow etc.)

12. V-Dave

V-Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my v model 2 since August, and I've kept pretty close tabs on the fuel economy. My actual calculations show 42.3 mpg, and the displayed average (which I have never reset) is showing 44.4. This is in what I'll call suburban driving, which is not a lot of highway, but not exactly "stop and go" city, either.

My best tankful was 44.75, and worst was 39.98. I am laoving this car!

13. Jay jay jay

Jay jay jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just got my Prius v 5 about a month ago and love it. I'm averaging about 47-48 mpg in mostly residential/slow speed driving. Highways I can get 44-46 going about 65mph.

A buddy of mine said the Mpg's will improve after the break in period. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it true?

14. Snoopytoo

Snoopytoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting 47 MPG on average (5.0 L/100 km for Canada). It has dropped a fair bit since summer but I think that's primarily due to the cold weather here. Last week temperatures dropped to -10 to -15 C. Warm-up time was significantly longer and the engine came on more frequently. I'm not surprised by this, and yet the fuel economy is still outstanding.
    Loving my Prius V!

15. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

16. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi there:

I got my Prius v (five) on November 3, 2012 (it's a 2012 vehicle). After filling my first tank to "full up," I drove until I had "one" little, white blip showing a low tank, so I filled up. Checked the miles run at 376.5 and the pump showed 10.4 gallons received. Do the math and it turns out to be 36.5 mpg. That sucks as far as I'm concerned.

I am a very cautious, light-footed driver and usually get 2-5 mpg more than others with like vehicles. Yes, it is winter and a little gas was used for defrosting and heat, but I didn't think that would affect the overall mpg. I've read other reviews where people have driven around 3500 miles and still haven't gotten over 36.0 mpg. Kind of makes me a little sad I purchased the wagon. I really didn't need a gas saver, but when a vehicle is rated 42/40 city and highway respectively, it really sucks when the actual mileage turns out to be 36.5.

75% of my driving was below 60 mph with only two highway trips that averaged 30 miles round trip. I have the 17" rims with Toyo tires. Don't know if it's the rubber or the wide rims, but my Prius v (five) has the bumpiest ride I could ever imagine. Thinking of changing to 15" rims and Goodyear tires. I drove a Prius v (three) that had those specs and it was delightful.

Jack

17. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Jack,

The V doesn't come with anything less than 16" wheels.

As far as getting 36 mpg, it will improve as you learn how to drive the car.

18. mcmoyer

mcmoyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Jack, I'd be kind of surprised if I could fit 10.4 gallons in my tank and still have 1 pip remaining. I've driven 20 miles past disappearance of the last pip and then only fit 10.6 gal in my V3.

Compared to my 2008 Prius, the V is definitely harder to achieve the best mileage with. Wind & cold seem to affect the mileage much more than it did my older Prius. High speed, over 63 mph, seems to affect them both equally -- negatively ;)

Don't know what area of the country you're in, but I would expect that you'll be getting a lot better mileage come summer time. I live in North Texas and even though it's not horribly cold here most of the time, my mileage has dropped from an average around 53 to around 48.

19. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Cold weather has a huge effect from my experience. EPA eatimate is achievable in summer easily. You think that's bad try achieving Canadian fuel economy rating for the v: 52mpg :)
    In the summer when I got my v I was getting 47mpg on average 1/4 city, 3/4 hwy driving.

Since September it's more like 35mpg.(6 months of winter in Edmonton)

Just finished a 2 day trip from Edmonton to vancouver. Using my v as a moving van I had around 800 pounds of stuff on board including driver(this included a hitch mounted bike rack with 2 bikes).
    Temperatures ranged from -20c when I left edmonton +10c at my destination.
    I drove the speed limit or slightly over. Worst tank I saw, 30mpg, average was around 36. Best mpg, after unloading the car at my destination I'm getting around 40mpg. Normal mode at all times, oem tire pressures.
    My v has 23000km on it so possibly is "broken in" already and running the 16 inch wheels.

20. bluesman2007

bluesman2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just filled up my new 2012 v and had only about 285 miles on it. Put in 6.9 gallons so for the first fill up I got 41.3. Mostly stop and go stuff with short highway trips and lots of traffic lights to most of my destinations. Running the Yokohama tires at whatever PSI the dealer put in. Been well above freezing most of the time.