1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon...) Wagon (only) MPG - Please Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Filled up today, got 47.3 calculated, 48.5 computer.

2. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Filled up today after finishing the fuel up from the last part of my trip to Asheville for the 4th. 422.7 miles, 10.163 gallons = 41.6 mpg, estimated 75% highway. Interesting that due to occasional $1 off per gallon I get at Kroeger's, my per mile gas cost is 6.2 cents, about 1 to 3 cents less per mile than some others on Fuelly.

4. Aran

Aran New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

The following tank actual MPG was around 3 less than the computer's. The third tank, today, filled somewhat early during a driver switch on 95 repeated tank #1's oddity: 49.6 (calculated), 47.8 computer.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You're just not getting the tank full each time. The less total you put in, the greater this affects your calculation. Also be aware that each pump has different sensitivity on when it clicks off. Anyhow, mileage should be figured over many tanks, not just one.

6. Aran

Aran New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So in essence time should average this out, and I should note which gas stations might require going past the first click and that's that?

Given that I've read in places on these boards that you shouldn't top off your tank, it would seem to me that what I'm seeing should be at least somewhat more commonplace (that I can't be the only one to stop filling at the first click), but either it isn't or those people just don't mention it

7. Danf51

Danf51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have around 4K miles on mine by now. I to the mileage longhand with every fill-up. I bounce between 44 and 48, maybe depending on how I round decimals up or down. My mileage on long freeway drives is a lot higher than around town, for some reason. I would stay at 48 if I only had the car on long trips.

I seem to fill up as much as I filled up my 2001 Saturn LW300, but the tank is so much smaller that this is where the savings come.

8. Priuswagon

Priuswagon I love my Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am averaging 49 with warmer weather here. :cool:

9. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I drive it pretty hard, don't do anything to get better mileage and still 44.5mpg

10. Priuswagon

Priuswagon I love my Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drive my Prius a lot I have almost 36k miles. Putting snow tires on my Prius brought the overall mileage down. This summer I am averaging between 47 and 49 mpg.

11. SalukiPrius

SalukiPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just bought my new 2013 Barcelona Red Prius v 5 (without the tech package) during the 4th of July holiday. We took the new larger car (we had a 2007 Prius 2) on our summer vacation to Orlando, 1507 miles tracked- 37.9 mpg for the trip. I loved the cargo space and the movable back seats, not a big fan of the pump up drivers seat and having to change back and forth between the instant mpg and the average for the tank. For us the Entune and navigation worked just fine, I always have Google Maps as backup. This was almost all highway miles with three adults, luggage and an average of 75 mph. We live in the Memphis suburbs and I commute to work 7 miles each way, up and down Poplar Avenue which has a stoplight just about every block. I was getting 48 avg. with my '07 Prius pretty much year round and am hoping to get at least 44 avg. with the v. I go back to work Monday so I will have a more accurate view of the city mpg then. Just a note, the 2007 Prius 2 has 98000 miles and still gets between 45-48 city mpg, our college age daughter inherited it and we expect her to have it for a few more years.

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same car, same color, 3 months old yesterday! Even though you only got 37.9 on your long trip, still excellent with passengers and luggage and not driving in the slow lane! I have nearly 6000 miles and everything so far has been flawless.

SalukiPrius likes this.
  13. moparjer

moparjer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Year of vehicle: 2012
    Date: 7-26-13
    Miles driven: 489
    Gallons Pumped: 9.2XXX
    Hand-Calculated MPG: did not hand calculate
    Displayed MPG: 52.4
    Average Speed: 57
    Tire Size / Wheel size:215-50R-17
    Tire Brand / Model: Not sure think OEM Toyo
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): Recommended
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable) A/C set at 75 degrees 100-102 degrees outside
    Commute Length: combined freeway trip Columbia River Gorge Oregon from Pendleton to Salem and back with side trips to Portland and Woodburn.
    Hypermiling Techniques; None, used cruise most of the time, had in power mode.
    Other: (this could explain why a tank was bad or good or other unusual conditions like a rain storm, new tires, lots of short trips, etc.) Mostly freeway driving and the results surprised me. I have had the car since new and it has 14.XXX mile on it. Usually get 47-49 mpg on freeway and 50+ in town.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-v-wagon-only-mpg-please-post-your-results.99490/#ixzz2aMc2bcM1
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

14. Danf51

Danf51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, on road trips I get around 48 or 49 mpg. If I go through an entire tankful without leaving town or getting out on the freeway, I can do no better then 38. And this is even when I try to run EV as much as possible.

(My calcs are the result of doing the math at fill-ups.)

My car is approaching 5K and I wonder if I should mention this to the dealer when I take it in for maintenance. . .

15. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dan,

Maybe you can update your profile so we know where you hail from. That way, we can tailor the advice.

Your highway mileage looks great! The vee wagon thrives on the freeway as long as you keep your speed at 65 mph or less (whenever possible). Looks like you've been driving right.

Here are some big things that kill your short trip mpg:

1) Don't overdo EV. Eventually, the car has to recharge the traction battery and that will wipe out any mpg gains and more.
    2) Traffic lights. Every time you stop and have to restart from zero speed, your fuel economy suffers. Since sometimes you can't avoid traffic lights, you can minimize stoping by slowing down before you get to it.
    3) Don't let the car warm up while stationary. As in, don't hit start until you are ready to start moving. It's better to use gas while you are moving than stationary. If you are waiting for someone at a parking lot, turn off the car unless you obviously need A/C.

16. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me like you could use some practice at maximizing mileage in town. Since installing Michelin ES tires, my new v is averaging 50MPG on the computer in town, up from about 45 on the OEM tires.

Leave the car in ECO mode, and practice keeping the throttle in the ECO zone. Below 45MPH, practice letting off the throttle to engage EV mode and coasting as much as possible. When in EV mode, practice keeping the power meter at 3-4 bars on the gauge. Pulse and glide.

17. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    1st full tank on new Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires at 38/37 PSI. 75% city driving.

47.8 MPG!!! Looks like around a 4-5 MPG gain with these tires.

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  18. harold

harold Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So far filled up twice, 47.3 and 40.6. I'm happy!

19. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered Fuel Economy Obsessed Prius v(vee)’erz FWIW FYI: My current lifetime running MPG-FE average is 53.7. Here are my Florida Summertime Operation Fuel Economy Numbers at this mid-summer point: I am Hybrid Humping Hard, and fighting to just hang above continuing to log 50+ MPG Per Tank-Full Fuel Economy numbers (Last Tank-Full MPG 50.3).

HYBRID OPS INFO: I am running with my OEM Toyo A20 Proxes, P215/50R17 90W, Low-Profile tires Up-Pressured to 51-Front/50-Rear PSI. I courteously drive "Hybrid $mart" (99.9% of the time in the ECO Mode) using stealth, pseudo-hypermiling techniques. In the summertime, my Prius Borg Queen, Bride-For-Life Wife, requires the HVAC Air Conditioning running full-time at a temperature setting of 70°F w/ Fan set at Two-Bars off Max Speed.

Keeping my hot, “Hotty” wife cool, causes me to have to work at "Gaming The Hybrid Synergy Drive System" to maintain these 50-ish numbers by opting to drive without the A/C engaged when my wife is not being chauffeured by me. I have no problem or real discomfort doing this, because I love warm-moderately hot weather. Most of my travel is at speeds of 45 MPH or less, with occasional passing sprints to 50-55. This permits me to use what I call the “Natural” Air Conditioning. An extract from my personal blog describing this “NATURAL” AIR CONDITIONING technique I use is provided below:

“NATURAL” AIR CONDITIONING: Use "natural" ventilation through the air ventilation system of your vehicle, with windows closed or just barely “cracked,” and you will increase Per-Tank-Full MPG fuel economy. The most fuel efficient Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) ventilation mode is "Natural Air Conditioning" --- i.e. Fresh Outside Air Ventilation Only With The Air Conditioning Compressor Not Operating. The fuel efficiency "pecking order" preference when using "Natural Air Conditioning" ventilation is as follows:

1. Outside Air Ventilation On - All Windows Up.

2. Outside Air Ventilation On - Driver's Side Window slightly lowered ("cracked"), and the diagonal opposing Right Rear Back Seat Passenger Window slightly lowered ("cracked") or, alternately, Front Passenger Window slightly lowered ("cracked"), and opposing Left Rear Back Seat Passenger Window slightly lowered ("cracked").

3. Outside Air Ventilation On - Windows Down in any amount or combination.

Driving with your windows all the way down at speeds above 40 MPH negatively affects the aerodynamics, and Coefficient of Drag, "Cd," of your vehicle. However, the "Hit" to fuel economy is negligible when driving with the windows down below 40 MPH. Above this "magic" 40 MPH transition point, the negative contribution to vehicle aerodynamics of the windows being down causes the total Drag Resistance, "R," to increase to the point where the Delta Increase in Drag Resistance, "R,"begins to cancel out any Delta Increase In MPG Gain, which using “Natural” Air Conditioning may deliver.

When the Air Conditioner (A/C) Compressor is on, and running, your MPG incrementally decreases over every mile you drive with it engaged. Therefore, when climate and weather permit it, turning off, and not using, your A/C system, and operating in the Outside Air Vent Only Mode will help increase your overall MPG.

Depending on the vehicle, operating in the A/C ON Mode full-time can reduce your miles per gallon fuel economy by some 10%-20%.

Chazz8 likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I cool the cabin the same way as Catgic, but I avoid prolonged cabin temperatures much over 80F as much for my comfort as the traction battery. I want the battery to last a long time.