1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon...) Wagon (only) MPG - Please Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 30, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys (and gals) are doing a great job reporting fuel economy! I've been popping off a lot about the HSI gage in my 3rd gen as I suspect it may be helping maintain economy during the harsher conditions (short trips). On your car, it's that bar graph left of the speedo. I think it's best to keep it out of the PWR zone much as possible. Check it out if you haven't yet, see if it helps. :)

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. tesser

tesser 1st time Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've been getting only about 38 MPG in Twin Cities, MN. I have been taking far too many short drives where the car isn't even heated up yet. When I drive on the highway for awhile, I'm getting about 42. It's been a mild winter for MN. No sub-zero temps yet. I'm driving a Prius V Three, hit lots of lights on my daily 12 mile RT commute. I use Costco regular unleaded gas.

4. russcarver

russcarver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 3rd tank:

Year of vehicle: 2011 v5 hatchback w/ ATP
    Date: 1/9/12
    Miles driven: 440.1
    Gallons Pumped: 10.835
    Hand-Calculated MPG: 40.62
    Displayed MPG: 43.5
    Average Speed: Not sure - probably around 40
    Tire Size / Wheel size: 17"
    Tire Brand / Model: OEM
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): 40/38
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable): Winter 20F-50F, very little use of heater, but I use the butt warmer all the time.
    Commute Length: 26-30 miles round trip 4 times/week (one moderate hill). 2 trips of 45 & 90 miles at 65-70 mph (mostly flat). No more than 60-65 on hwy (6 miles one way).
    Hypermiling Techniques: Used cruise for 1/2 the tank w/ dynamic radar CC. Eco mode. No aggressive acceleration unless it's a short merge. Try to keep the bar at or above 50mpg where possible. Get up to speed relatively quickly (without flooring it), then kinda coast/feather it.
    Other: It's been a high in the mid 50's to 60F for 7-10 days.

--Russ

5. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just curious why dustmonkeys mpg calculated and computer read out are so far apart. Everything I've seen in priuschat so far has only been 1 to 3 mpg apart. Is there something wrong with their car? Hope someone can answer this one. I have a Prius V 5 on order and hope not to run into this problem.

6. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Why did you write "Gallons Pumped: not sure"? Doesn't that make it hard to hand calculate MPG?

7. RaysProf

RaysProf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After discovering this forum, I used a trip from the Los Angeles area to Death Valley National Park where we hiked (and drove) over a 5 day period. Nearly half the driving occurred at 70 to 75 mph. In addition, each day required a climb and descent of 4000 to 6000 ft.

Vehicle: 2012, Prius v, model 5 with ATP
    Date: Jan 11
    Miles driven: 1173
    Fuel used: 32.1
    MPG: 36.5
    Computer reported MPG: 38.9
    Conditions: temperature: 40-70 F. Nearly no use of AC,
    Driving habits: 70-75 MPH on both flat roads and climbs and descents of 5000 ft.
    Weight carried: 400-500 lb.

Opinion: while I am not distressed by the less than optimal mileage, I am concerned that the reported mileage by the car is nearly 10% in error. I would have expected the engineers and attorneys to error on the low side.

P.S. I wish I had discovered this forum earlier. We would have saved quite a bit on the warranty.

8. natch77

natch77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am finding that the computer is 2 to 3 mpg higher than what I am calculating at the pump after fillup. This has been true for the past several fill ups. I also find, as noted in other posts, that there is much more fuel remaining in the tank than the gauge shows. Once I filled up when there was only "20" miles left, one bar of fuel. And I was only able to fit about 10.5 gallons in the tank, which means there should have been 60 or so miles left.

here is data from the last fillup. Bought the car on the last day of November 2011. Currently has about 2,500 miles. Yes, we're getting our money's worth! In all of these miles, 70 to 80% are highway miles, and our avg mpg for the life of the car is between 41 and 42mpg. I'm pretty satisfied with that, especially given that the MDX we got rid of was doing 16mpg!

Year of vehicle: 2011
    Date: Jan 11, 2012
    Miles driven: 387
    Gallons Pumped: 9.3
    Hand-Calculated MPG: 41.6
    Displayed MPG: 44.2
    Average Speed: ? didn't write this down.
    Tire Size / Wheel size: normal. not the 17"
    Tire Brand / Model: standard?
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): standard? car has nitrogen in tires
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable): not much AC usage as it is winter in Texas. Coldest the car is operating in is 30's in the morning. Warmest it has operated in is low 80's maybe.
    Commute Length: 25 miles one way
    Hypermiling Techniques: None really, the wife drives it mostly during the week. I drive it for transporting our little family on the weekend. I always get better mpg than she does. The only technique I use is trying to keep the HSI bars to a minimum. This means gradual starts and going the speed limit or a bit under. Usually avoiding highways of 70mph posted speed limits, choosing the backroads instead.
    City/hwy ratio: 70% hwy. We live in the outskirts of Dallas - not much city traffic.

9. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just filled up last night. 44.1 MPG. Looks like I am filling up slightly more than 2.5X per month. Drive 35 miles/weekday to work. Traded in Honda Pilot for Prius v Model 5. ABout 6 fillips on Pilot per month v. about 2.5. Liking the gas savings.

10. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    F8L – Keep fighting the good fight against the Big “C.”

Year Of Vehicle: Shiny New “Stealthy” Magnetic Gray 2012 v Five w/ ATP
    Date: 20120115
    Miles Driven: 425
    Gallons Pumped: 7.855
    Hand-Calculated MPG: 54.106
    Displayed MPG: 55.4
    Average Speed: 40± MPH
    Tire Size / Wheel size: P215/50R17 on 17-inch Alloys.
    Tire Brand / Model: OEM Toyo “Proxes” A20 P215/50R17 90W (51 PSI MAX “Cold” PSI).
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): 51F/50R
    Seasonal Conditions: “Hybrid Friendly” Florida Winter Weather w/ Daytime Outside Ambient Temperatures (OATs) ranging between 50°F to 85°F (Intermittent A/C use, per “Honey, I am getting hot” Estrogen Edict from Her Nibs, w/ HVAC Temp Setting @ 75°F)
    Commute Length: Various, From 4-Miles To 12-Miles In An “Around Town,” Mixed City/Highway Driving Speed Envelope.
    Hypermiling Techniques & Pre-Operative Set Ups: Up-Pressured Tires, Burning 90:10 E10 "10% Ethanol Added" Gasohol Mandated By Feds & State of Florida, Running In “ECO Mode” w/ Intelligent Use Of The Prius “vee’s” OEM Hybrid System Indicator (HSI), Driving With Load (DWL), Traffic Flow/Traffic Light Change Timing-Anticipation, Non-Obtrusive In-Traffic “Hypermiling In Plain Sight” Pulse & Glide (P&G), Opportunistic No-Line “Freewheeling” Coasting, Regenerative Coasting & Regenerative Braking, iMPG = ½iMPH Acceleration “Off-The-Line,” Rough Super Atkinson Highway Mode (SAHM/SHM) Using HSI & iMPG Displayed On MID, “In The Milling Herd” Freeway/Interstate Driving @ 71 MPH “Sweet Spot” ECC Set Speed.
    Other Notables: New “Unbroken In” Car, New OEM Tires, OEM Full-Synthetic Motor Oil, Lots Of Short Trips, Some Minimal A/C Use.

HAPPY HY'v'ERMILING!!!

11. dhandds

dhandds New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1. 2012 Prius v V in black with no additional option
    2. Now 1,500 miles on my v.
    3. Displayed as around 45.2 MPG
    4. Actual calculated as around 42.2 MPG
    5. 60 to 70 MPH on HWY
    6. 35 to 45 MPH in City
    7. 17 in. tires as factory equipped
    8. Recently changed to 41 psi in front and 40 psi in rear
    9. Driving with the flow of traffic in the city 40 to 45 MPH
    10. Driving at 65 MPH on HWY;however, 65 MPH is considered slow in CA
    Overall, very happy with my v!

12. star2

star2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    first 400 miles I get 44.5 MPG. Not bad! But I'm not going fast.

13. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I just got my Prius v and I am finding these results interesting, and encouraging. Thanks for posting and I will submit my data as I build miles. Right now I only have 83 miles on it so not enough data to comment.

A few of you have mentioned weather, but not specifically headwinds - In the "for what its worth department" I noticed that while driving my 2010 Prius it was very clear that headwinds (really nice mileage) /tailwinds (mileage suffers) as well as tire pressure and speed played a significant role in my MPG. Living in Florida temperature didn't seem to be as much of a factor, but then again I don't record or watch every bit of data.

That fact is I love the Prius family and look forward to driving this very nice, quiet fuel efficient driving machine. And again thank all of you for posting your data.

14. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At 4327 miles on my vee model 3, I am averaging 47.8 mpg displayed and 45.21 calculated ( 95.716 gals). 99.99% eco mode. Temp. average upper 40s to mid 70s, on flat terrain. Not hypermileing, but non aggressive driving.

15. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Year of vehicle: 2012
    Date: 1-21-12
    Miles driven: 400
    Gallons Pumped: 10
    Hand-Calculated MPG: 40
    Displayed MPG: 43.5
    Average Speed: Estimated (WAG) ~50 mph
    Tire Size / Wheel size: 16 inch
    Tire Brand / Model: Bridgestone Turanza EL400
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): 35/33
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable)
    OA temps range from 70 -78 degrees F
    Commute Length: N/A - I'm all over the place.
    Hypermiling Techniques: None
    Other: (this could explain why a tank was bad or good or other unusual conditions like a rain storm, new tires, lots of short trips, etc.)
    At 400 miles, my driving with the new Prius v is much like my 2010 IV. I'm on the highway often with cruise control, the A/C is set to 70 degrees F, and I don't make any effort to increase mileage. I drive like I normally drive (power mode goes on immediately). For comparison my 2010 overall average MPG after 43,000 miles was 44.8

16. whtmtn

whtmtn Whtmtn

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Have driven approximately 1100 miles and getting about 35mpg with mostly city driving. Improves with highway mileage which is the opposite from the posted mpg rating. Somewhat disappointed that I am well below the 44mpg that is advertised for city driving. Trying to drive as conservatively as possible. I do get about 40 - 41 mpg on the highway with an average speed of 65mph.

17. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would't it be interesting to know what the UK V is doing with the Lithium battery that they have but the US doesn't get at this time. Perhaps our friends in the UK would let us know the mpg imperial gallon or metric so it can be converted to miles per US gallon. Also range on battery. This would give us an idea about all the other Prius models when they go lithium batteries.

18. kennethfuller@juno.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    2012 Prius V III. Yokohama P205/60 R16 with 40 psi. Regular gasoline with up to 10 percent ethanol. First 300 miles is 41.1 mpg. City driving with two highway trips of 14 miles one way. Average temperature between 40 and 70 degrees. 20 miles into second tank of gas and mileage remains at 41.1. Very acceptable mileage for city driving.

19. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd hand info, my dad has a V and I have a gen ii. He just informed me he got his best tank ever at 48mpg, it was very warm here this week, about 4-12 c most of the week. He drives mostly city but still some highway, stock 16s at stock pressure with energy saver a/s.

20. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Curious what type of mileage a V could get using 15" wheels instead of 16" and 17' that come on them now. Looking at past threads, seems that people running 15" on the std prius are getting high 40's to low 50's regarding mileage. Thanks to anyone who can add to this.