1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v) Touch Screen

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Harveyl, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Harveyl

Harveyl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My new, 2015 Prius v is one week old today.
    Right after I got it, I noticed that the touch screen would intermittently become unresponsive.
    Restarting, or rebooting the system would return the touch screen to normal.
    I drove it to the dealership service department because they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem -
    The screen was unresponsive at the time. The foreman said he didn't see it, even though the service
    manager did. Anyone else notice this?

LaMesaGuy likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so they won't fix it?

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Document, document.

Mine has never been unresponsive in the sense that it didn't respond.

Not to say that, like any touch screen I've ever had (I have 6), it very infrequently seems to not like the angle or pressure and it takes a press or two. Or maybe it was just busy. Or I was pressing too hard.

LaMesaGuy likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. i have a certain spot, on the 'am' button i have to press 2 or 3 times. maybe they don't want them overly sensitive because it's hard to steady your finger while driving.

LaMesaGuy likes this.
  5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2015 has a completely new display and software. Bugs are not unexpected, but the dealer needs to be on this for you.

Harveyl likes this.
  6. Harveyl

Harveyl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The screen becomes completely unresponsive to any touch of any kind. It is now doing it more often - if the radio is on, it jumps channels just before it happens. Dealer says he is contacting Toyota (Japan?) Haven't heard, yet. Documenting.

LaMesaGuy likes this.
  7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Always a bummer to get a new car with a defect. Tell the dealer to stop screwing around and order a new head unit.

Harveyl likes this.
  8. Martin LaBarre

Martin LaBarre New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Same for me... Unresponsive 3-4 times a week.

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Do you have a channel changing button on the steering wheel ?
    If so it may be this that is sticky or a loose contact in it overriding the touch screen.

10. NikiJuice

NikiJuice New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I just received my 2015 Prius v and my screen become unresponsive all the time. I have taken a few videos with my phone and showed my sales person. They want to change out the display unit but not sure if a firmware/software will be available if it is a common issue. I am going to hold off a few more weeks and hope that more Prius v are sold as they were just released not too long ago in Canada. If enough people are experiencing the same issue, it might force Toyota to come up with a better fix other than replacing the whole touch system.

Other than the touch screen becoming unresponsive, it is a great car and I am lovin it. My wife drives a 2012 Prius v base model and I now have the 2015 Prius v luxury model. I must say the extras that you get for this years model is well worth the $2,000 extra.

LaMesaGuy likes this.
  11. Harveyl

Harveyl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the update - three visits to the dealer - I finally came in with the screen unresponsive - the service manager saw it and the car disappeared into the "service abyss" with orders not to shut it off. However, the "foreman" apparently rebooted and was not able to "try any codes."
    After some discussion with the service manager, he said that he had been in contact with Toyota, and they believed that this was due to my iPhone, as the new radio/Nav systems were having problems with iPhones. I was instructed to remove all my data and disconnect my iPhone over the weekend. I did this, and the problem was worse - the screen would get anesthesia several times a day.
    The dealer asked me to bring the vehicle in, and they would keep it for at least four days. I picked up a rental car. Ten minutes later, the dealership called. The screen developed neuropathy within five minutes.
    So, now, I am waiting for a replacement radio/nav head unit.

LaMesaGuy and Chazz8 like this.
  12. GMbP

GMbP New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am having exactly the same problems with my brand new Prius v. I started a new thread on it because I did not see this one. I have a service appt next week, and I am going to bring print outs of all this chat.

13. Rye

Rye New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Me too. Exactly the same symptoms with less than 300 miles on the v (lowercase v for the Prius v) 5. The dealer has car and can't reproduce problem. I'm driving a loaner until Monday. Not sure what to do.....

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have several touch screen devices (phone and pad) and they all seem to lose synch infrequently and a press seems to have no effect. Sometimes it takes not pressing and just hovering. Other times press somewhere else on the screen and they take off and run and the original target then accepts a press.

I often wonder if it is some soap or lotion I use on my hands that causes my finger to be less quickly recognized.

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I believe most touchscreens these days are capacitive, which means that they detect the touch by the tiny electrical changes that the presence of your fingertip introduces:
    Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Especially in the winter, if you have cold fingers with low blood flow they're not going to be very conductive, and the screen may have difficulty recognizing them.

Obviously this is also why gloved fingers don't work, unless you have the ones with special fingertips:
    The Best Touchscreen Winter Gloves | The Wirecutter

16. Rye

Rye New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the cold fingers, blood flow, argument is true in this case, why does the problem usually go away by turning off the car and turning it back on again. My other Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v) (2012) does exhibit some occasional screen sluggishness on cold, dry, days but not the whole screen going dead as being seen with the new design in my 2015 v (lowercase v for the Prius v). Two different problems.

17. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Questions for those having problems with their 2015 v Wagon w/ATP:
    1. Do you use an iPhone?
    2. Is it paired to the car via Bluetooth
    3. Is it connected via USB when you have the problem?
    There is reference in the manual to Apple iPhones having problems when connected to both BT and USB simultaneously. I was using the USB port to power my iPhone while in the car. I've changed it to using a USB adapter in the lighter outlet instead... and now 100% of the data communication between the vehicle and the iPhone is via bluetooth. I have not seen any problems since, but I do not know if that is just a coincidence, or if there is actual causality.

/Jim

18. FLbill

FLbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am having many problems with the audio/gps/display - see my comments on the other 2015 v audio thread. I am not using any connections and the system sometimes has a mind of it's own.

19. FLbill

FLbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Please advise if the new head unit fixes the problem. So far I have not heard of anyone who does have these problems w/15v. Nor have I head of anyone who has had the problem fixed.... Does Toyota have a fix for this????

Correction: I have not heard of anyone who does NOT have these problems. Sorry for confusion.

20. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yesterday, I was driving and the system started beeping irregularly. I looked and the [-] (zoom out) was blinking with every beep, and my GPS map was zooming out on each beep. After a bunch of such beeps, it stopped, and the screen was unresponsive.

I pulled off the road and took a video of the problem, showing how the entire head unit was unresponsive. Then while the video was running, I rebooted the head unit (pressed power button for 3+ seconds), and then the video shows how the radio came back to life just fine.

Mine is a Prius v Five w/Advanced Technology Package (ATP). From what I can see via posts above, this is not restricted to the ATP... is that correct? It also seems that the problem is only with the 2015 Prius v Wagon. Correct?

/Jim