1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V maintenance cost Pre Buyer question

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jaya Love, Jun 16, 2018.

1. lostinheadguy

lostinheadguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just so you know, the traction battery replacement is anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 depending on where you go and which model of Prius you have.

Again, I don't think you should anticipate having to replace it until the car is ten years old or so, but you'll want to start putting some money away into a maintenance fund on a regular basis so you aren't wrung dry if it happens earlier. That may be the only major repair (aside from regular maintenance such as oil changes, occasional 12 V battery replacement, etc) you have over the time you own the vehicle, though. But it's a big one.

#21 lostinheadguy, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Jaya Love likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever I wash our (3rd gen) and it subsequently sits for a day or two, the brake discs rust up some. When I next drive, for the first few stop the brakes are very noisy, but within a block or two the sound is gone. My conclusion from this:

The Prius brakes are not that different, and there is a decent amount of conventional braking going on at all times, sufficient to clear off minor surface rust.

Jaya Love likes this.
  3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Jimbo mentioned, make sure the Prius is a California car. A dealer could have purchased their cars from an auction. And the auction could have gotten their cars from anywhere.

Jaya Love likes this.
  4. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Do you mean tha the car should have been originally sold in CA for the warranty? Or is it ok for it to be sold elsewhere then reregistered in CA?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    originally registered in a carb state (see wiki) and you will register in cali. (original carb state)
    carb = california air resource board.
    i vote for the matrix/fit/yaris, all the best!(y)

Jaya Love likes this.
  6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before you buy, it's important to know the history, even if you have to pay for it. Dealers usually provide a car fax for free.

Toyota's national customer service can also confirm if you'll receive the longer CARB warranty. And it's free to call them.

Jaya Love likes this.
  7. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I usually buy from private sellers with history/repair receipts.

8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also prefer to buy from private party sellers. My personal example is that I purchased a Prius from California under the CARB warranty. I have now registered it in Las Vegas, where it no longer has a CARB warranty. If I were to move to LA next year and register the car there, I don't think it would have the extended warranty.

That's why when you're ready to buy, it would be worth it to call Toyota's customer service and verify the warranty.

Jaya Love likes this.