1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v mutes iPhone Google maps

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by qrx7zcv8, Jun 29, 2016.

1. qrx7zcv8

qrx7zcv8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Google Maps on my wife's iPhone recently started getting muted whenever the iPhone is plugged into the USB port on the Prius v. My Nexus 5X works fine, and other apps on the iPhone also work fine.

We used to be able to do the following:
    1. Plug iPhone into USB. This causes the car to mute the car iPhone.
    2. Turn audio on the car on.
    3. Select "Sources".
    4. Play a podcast or song from the iPhone. This causes the iPhone to start playing through the car speakers.

If we do that now, the podcast plays through the car speakers, but Google Maps is completely silenced.
    Google Maps displays an icon saying "iPhone volume low", but the in-app volume for Google Maps is set to high, the volume adjustment hardware buttons on the iPhone have no effect, and the ringer switch is set to allow ringing.

If we unplug the iPhone, the voice plays successfully over the iPhone speakers, so we are confident that all volume settings in the iPhone and Google Maps are correct. When we plug the iPhone back into USB, the "iPhone volume low" icon immediately appears in Google maps.

Anybody else have this issue / know of a workaround?

2. Pat Prius

Pat Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am having the same issue.
    2017 Prius v (Prius v not V. It is a lowercase v for the Prius v wagon

Actually considering using the aux cable.

3. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried pairing the phone using Bluetooth? Just curious. It might be worth a try. Please note I don't use either Google Maps or Apple Maps on my iPhone 5s for in car navigation. I only use the built in car navigation while on road trips.

#3 Sooner Al, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can't speak for iPhone behavior, but similar apparently conflicting in-app versus playback audio levels occur with the use of the data aspect of a charge/data cable with WinPhones (OS 7, 8.1, 10).

By contrast, pairing with Bluetooth works without issue or drama, with output levels controlled as expected by phone and car audio level settings.

5. WaterDragon

WaterDragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use a cigarette lighter adapter when I plug in my iPhone for exactly this reason and pair via Bluetooth instead. The car behaves poorly with respect to an iPhone connected via USB in several different ways that I don't like, including auto-playing, interrupting playback, and this one you highlight. I have never had a problem with Bluetooth connectivity.