1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V normal car MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by clayton4115, Feb 25, 2012.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see more and more and more Prii on the road around here (Washington, DC area), so I don't think these articles have the audience they once did. I think a lot of Prius owners are just talking up the benefits, and other people are listening to them. No need to be polemic.

I told my neighbor about my mileage and driving experience, and he traded in his BMW 3 series on a Lexus CT200h when they hit the market.

Also, the "extra" cost of a hybrid only bears some examination when there is a non-hybrid version, if you are only looking at costs over time - on a per user basis. I paid for the extra cost of my 2007 Camry Hybrid in 18 months since I drive about 30K miles in a year. However, there is no extra cost for the Prius - it only comes in hybrid. So why not compare it to a $25-30K non-hybrid mid-size sedan instead? It is not a sub-compact like the Feeeeesta.

(Is there an emoticon for "preaching to the choir?")

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dilemma is this ....

Any given day, a new Camry L/LE can be had for about 2 to 3k less than a Prius Two. A base Corolla, about $6.5k less than Prius.

Prius size is somewhere between Corolla and Camry. I'd put 5 six footers in a Camry, but ah uh, I'm not putting 5 six footers in my Prius. Too small and not enough load capacity. Prius v, 5 six ft. , yes.

Prius is still $4.5k more than some car named Coramry. Prius doesn't make best financial sense, but it's a full hybrid Prius and we like, so there.