1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v owners: what is it replacing?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by fotomoto, Nov 2, 2011.

?
  1. Another Prius

51 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. SUV

79 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Truck

16 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Crossover

16 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Midsize car other than Prius

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. Large car

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Stationwagon

26 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. Compact car

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Subcompact car

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Minivan

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  12. It's not replacing a vehicle

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. atgep

atgep New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My V is replacing a 1984 Mercedes 300 Diesel. We were looking hard at the Odyssey but I couldnt get past the 20 or so MPg in the city. We have 3 kids and they fit in the V. 90% of the time we commute around town with less than 3 people in the car due to different schedules and a big van was a waste. I can always rent a van for a long road trip. I am very happy with the MPG so far and comfort of the V.

I am now lucky to say the family gas guzzler is an accord that averages 25mpg in the city!

2. danbob

danbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Ours replaced my 2009 Suzuki SX4 with Technology Package and 5speed manual trans. I loved my car but the family is growing and I got to take over my wife's 2010 Kizashi AWD which I am in love with. She will be driving the V most of the time except when I go on big mountain/road biking trips. I will miss driving a stick, but it's for the greater good lol.

3. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Horse and buggy.

4. TPBC

TPBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2011 MINI Countryman S. I miss the way it handled... Its a bit of an adjustment overall. But, love the gas savings of the Prius and very happy I made the switch.

5. cici

cici New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking for something that got better gas mileage, comfortable ride.

6. KomaiaKai

KomaiaKai New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I also replaced my 1984 Mercedes Benz Turbo diesel with 240,000 miles on it with the v. I still have the Benz, but have driven it just once since I got the v last week. I can only hope that the V will get as many miles as my Turbo Benzo.

7. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We replaced our 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L. Overall we loved the Pilot, but weren't in love with the gas mileage--16.5mpg. Additionally, we're "empty-nesters" now that our sons are grown and moved out, so we didn't need all the excessive space. Most importantly though, we are concerned about the environment, tired of adding to the exorbitant profits of big oil companies and I really feel it's time for the U.S. to take decisive steps to reduce/eliminate our dependance on foreign crude.

8. CalgaryPriusv

CalgaryPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    2002 Ford Focus wagon.
    Nice to see how many here are replacing suv's.

9. mpb

mpb ção

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I also have a 2001 Ford Focus wagon. For now, I will keep both.

10. CalgaryPriusv

CalgaryPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved the Focus! Lots of room in the back and at the time I didn't think it was too bad on gas. Sadly someone rear ended me and the insurance company wrote it off:( I took the money and ran to the nearest toyota dealer. Found one in Blue Ribbon and absolutely love almost everything about it.

11. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Replacing a 2008 AWD Sienna XLE. There is some concern about the loss of AWD and the only complaints about the Sienna are the run-flat tires (third set in under 60K miles due to tire failure not flats) and the poor mileage. Otherwise, no issues. We were just looking for a smaller vehicle now that all the kids are driving. Rarely are there more than 2 occupants these days.

12. Xjaddiction

Xjaddiction New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually replacing my 13 MPG 2003 four-wheel-drive, Ford Expedition. That truck is now weekend warrior for boat, and trailer towing. I originally bought a Prius 3rd Gen. 2011 new ( actually bought two of them, one for the wife that she still drives). I had it for four months, then took a test drive in the Prius V. I should have waited for the V to come out, but... didn't. The 3G was awesome, but my job requires me to drive and carry a lot of stuff. The Prius V was the way to go, even though I lost a bit in the deal, I traded the 3G prius with 11,000 miles on the clock for the Prius V. I don't regret it one bit. I'm getting right at 45 MPG with the V. I also found with the reclining, and sliding rear seats, my girls 13 and 9, love the back seat ride, as they did in the Expedition's captan's seats. So, now the Expedition gets even less use. :)

13. edawg

edawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced a 2006 Honda Pilot AWD SUV... Went from 16 MPG average to 45 so far with our v "Two" model. YES!!!!

14. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here we replaced a Honda Civic and garaged the 05 Odyssey and kept it for light towing or large loads. Only complaint on the Civic was a strut/drive axle noise (clunk) at slow speed (under 20mph) sharp turns. The van is a nice car but thirsty. It averaged 21-22mpg when not towing. The run flat tires were a pain too at $300 a pop when damaged and are fairly low mileage. The service advisor was impressed the van achieved over 40k miles out of my first set.

Picked up a v5 for me and v3 for my spouse. We are both averaging over 40 right now and have a friendly competition for a year out for best average mpg. W

15. Harry Pottar

Harry Pottar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just replaced a 2009 Venza, I had an AWD 4-cyl. I liked the car very much but it was a little too big for the wife to drive. The Prius v5 is a little smaller but as a lot more all around visibility. The v5 as nice interior don't get me wrong but the Venza is a lot nicer. Not sure why they don't do a v with some nice looking fake wood trim like the Venza. The Venza had electric seat settings which are nice when your constantly change seat position, I'm a lot taller than my wife. But the biggest thing I will miss is the powered tail gate that was so convenient.

Overall I'm very happy with my v5, I used get 22.6mpg from the venza so this should be a big improvement. I got the blizzard white no AEP they didn't have one and it seem excessive price option. Paid sticker price.

16. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  17. lovemyredv

lovemyredv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    BINGO! My husband is over six feet as well. What IS that console? I'm only 5'8, but I still found that thing to be in the way ...and, by the by, the bar across the back window - really?

Very good choice to turn in the Forester at 45,000.

I'm replacing a 2003 (105,000 miles) Forester which was a maintenance nightmare. It was our second Forester; but for other reasons than the car itself, we had to trade in the first one after two years. We thought we liked them! Under normal circumstances we like to keep cars 10 years.

18. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Uhm... There is the Prius V (the sedan/hatchback) and then there is the Prius 'v', which is the Wagon. This is the wagon forums. :) So we have a 'console' inbetween the front seats. No bar in the back of the Prius 'v' except the cover drape. :)

19. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the console is the one that connects like the hatchback. I found it hard on tall folks too being over 6'. W

20. lovemyredv

lovemyredv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The person I was quoting replaced the Prius 2010 with a Prius v. The comments were relating to the problems with the car they replaced, as mine were, and were from this thread.

I believe these were posts before the V v distinction was made.