1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v painted mud flaps

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by schmuly, Jul 16, 2012.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $90 for the mudflaps, correct? Or was it $90 for the cost to paint the mudflaps?

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    davekro, $90 was paid for painting by local dealer to match color. You can buy OEM mudflaps for $60-70 a set on Ebay.

3. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks IMG,
    I asked my dealer and they do not have a body shop, they sub to a local shop. Rather than call that shop, I just mounted them and figured I'd decide later if I wanted to go 'painted'. So far we are liking the black with the Blizz. Pearl.
    Also I just added the Rav4 door side moldings as well as the lower door moldings. :)

4. Cape Codder

Cape Codder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just installed all 4 yesterday. 2 coast of Fusion flat white, 2 coats of Blizzard Pearl, 2 coats of clear coat. All spray of course. The final coat of clear was allowed to dry for 4 days before installation.
    They look good, and installation feels solid. Takes about 1 hour for installation.
    The "blizzard pearl" spray can is a very close, if not exact match.

5. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So what brands of paints/ clear coats did you use? Where did you get them and what did they run you, if you do not mind my asking. I had only found one source mentioned up thread that was very pricy for the primer, Bl Pearl and clear coat spray cans.

6. Cape Codder

Cape Codder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought the "Toyota Blizzard Pearl" from Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch.com (nearly exact match)
    It came with 3 cans. Base coat, mid coat, and clear coat. About $65-70 (expensive!)
    I did NOT use the base coat, but substituted "Fusion for Plastic" flat white. I have always has very good results using it on plastics, even in harsh marine environments.
    Top coated with 2-3 coats of the "pearl", and then 2 coats of clear.

The mud flaps were $79 plus shipping, there was probably shipping on the paint too.
    By the time you're done, we're talking $200. Not all bad on a $30K vehicle.

Here in New England, the roads are filthy, salty, crappy this time of year. I've already seen these provide a real improvement in keeping the crap off the doors, and more importantly, has cut down markedly on the crud that accumulates INDIDE the front doors on the rocker panel.

And......they kinda look cool when painted to match. Looks very "finished".

7. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks nice…. I have a Gen III & a C1; one of my friends liked mine so much he went out and got a V. He is thinking about putting some on his, the painted flaps/guards seem to look better on colored cars, they seem as they stick out too much on the Blizzard Pearl…. and I'm still trying to find something that fits my C lol

Great job! Look great.

8. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's all personal taste. I happen to agree with "...the painted flaps...they seem as they stick out too much on the Blizzard Pearl". At least enough for my mind to adjust to the black with saving $100 to paint them. ;)

9. uraso

uraso New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    that looks beautiful... i want to do the same for my mud guards. can you tell me how much does it cost for the dealer to paint it. thanks!

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Uh, it was in post #22, $90.