1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Plug-In?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by hill, Nov 22, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Would you buy one? How many EV miles would you want it to have? Ok I've already been told - It aint gona happen. The Mitsubishi SUV Outlander has a plug in version with 20+ miles EV range (not yet released in the U.S.). It's so popular, that they can't ship 'em out fast enough (to europe / asia). Is Toyota becoming 2nd rate when it comes to being inovative? or, will the competition build a fire under their plug-in department. I'd LOVE to get the v in a Plugin.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    100+ EV miles, either v or hatchback.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The v already has a weight problem, so there's that. The electric Rav4 is already available as well. I'd have to believe that Toyota has a small army of bean counters at work gauging the demand and profit margins, and that this is an idea they have looked at. Obviously it would be a cool car, but it has to sell enough units to make it profitable.

There's also the question of weight vs torque, and whether the existing PI system could even push a v around.

4. DWVolt

DWVolt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try a Volt. I get 42-43 miles per charge. Most Volt owners get 200+ mpg. It has 273 lbs of torque to hit 60 mph in 8.7 seconds. It drives quiet and smooth, but handles like a sports car. Highest safety rating, and with all the rebates and tax breaks, I got mine for less than $23,000. Two years in a row it won the highest customer satisfaction.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would have bought a Prius v PHV, with 5 miles of EV range, then my current mileage. I bet the top speed in EV mode would be about 52 MPH. (the v has a 3.7 differential ratio)

The NiMH v uses a space in the back, the LiION alpha and + use the seat divider cubby, if you used both plus the spare tire area you could do a PHV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danny3xd likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ever witnes a 6'-5" person trying to cram into a Volt's front seats? - much less their rear seats? There's no point in comparing a v to any compact, especially if size / roominess is half way important.
    Bean counters are NOT preventing a plugin v. Nor is cost, nor is weight, nor is the heartyness of the synergy drive. The RX Lexus & the HyHi SUV's are larger, & have towing capacity, so obviously it's something else. It's obviously not demand because mitsubishi can't keep their compact plugin in SUV stock.

I think I just figured out why no plugin v. It's gotta be because Toyota is banking on their hydrogen hoax vehicle. Toyota is hoping to get their hydrogen monster cost under six figures - so obviously Toyota wouldn't fear the cost of a plug in v. Toyota doesn't even want to support a nationwide plugin Prius release. So yea! I get it, what was I thinking. The hydrogen Lobby has seen to it that they will get three times the CARB credits compared to a plugin. Now I'm kinda disgusted.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a Prius v thread in a Prius v forum, so you have to know these are folks for which the extra room is worth 8 MPG less mileage.

Can you link to the station wagon Volt, I missed the announcement.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, all that range anxiety -- and for only $23k... Go figure.

9. Cody6003

Cody6003 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I considered waiting to buy a 2015 model when they were talking about adding a plug in model to the Prius v family. But the 8,500 dollar figure for the batteries was the deal killer. Would add a lot more money to cost of car and then add in the eventual replacement cost. I settled with buying a 2014 Prius v three with Moon roof.
    I know! The moon roof will never pay for itself either, but I just wanted it!

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have loved a plug on our v, but practically it would have had to have been within $2-3k delta. I'd have been more than happy with the current 10-12 mile range on the PIP. Even happier if it also had a third row ;)

11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Volt is nice, but probably not an option for most folks considering a v.