1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Potential Purchase CarFax Body electrical system checked

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by hellonearth, Sep 21, 2015.

1. hellonearth

hellonearth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I am seriously considering buying a 2012 Prius v from out of state. The Prius has about 85K miles and appears in good shape based on the pictures listed by the dealer. The carfax is also showing regular service intervals primarily done at the dealership. My only concern is that the last service captured by carfax lists the following and then 1500 miles later the car is being offered for sale.

Maintenance inspection completed
    Oil and filter changed
    Tires rotated
    Wheels checked
    Body electrical system checked

I'm also hesitant since i am buying it out of state and am weary of putting money down sight unseen as i will be getting on a flight and will then be driving it back.

Are there any known electrical issues that i need to be concerned about? Should I be worried about the Body electrical system checked service item. Is 85K too high? Will there be lots of maintenance down the road? I drive 66 miles total for work every day. This will be my first hybrid so i want to cover my bases.

Lastly any tips for buying a vehicle out of state. Is it a good idea or should i just wait for a local one to pop up?

Thanks!

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it were me, I would look locally. It would be different if the car was new.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to Prius Chat.

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HellOnEarth - Trust the hesitancy from your gut feeling --- pass on it. Keep looking for a local v wagon with less miles on the odometer. 85,000 miles over four model years cranks out to ~20,000+ miles per year. It was driven High-Miles-Per-Year hard, and is just 15,000 miles away from the 100,000 miles warranty on the Traction Battery running out.

4. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. I was able to get the sales guy to send a video of the car in motion. The speedometer seems to be flickering but he assured me that it is the phone camera and not the actual speedometer. Just wanted to share it with you incase some one wants to try it with their vehicle

Sadly i cannot share the video link as i do not have four posts and have not been a member for over 24 hours. I will post some additional posts below and try to post the link below

Also got some service records since it was pretty regularly serviced at the dealership. Uploading them for your comments. The second page has the electrical system error description. Has any one experienced that on their car. Still confused about getting it or not :)

IMG_4862.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4862.JPG

5. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Posting to up my minimum post count so i can link the video of the speedometer

6. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Again posting to up my minimum post count so i can link the video of the speedometer

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    strange, not sure what that code is about. could it just be low fob battery? what if it's an issue down the road?

8. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok trying to be sneaky now

ww.sendvid.cm/0ttkuulp

add another w at the start and replace cm with com and you can see the video

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got it. maybe it is the phone, but i've never seen that before. looks like filming a television.

10. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    yeh its pretty weird. Like a ghosting effect

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Watched it too here, about five times. Interesting that at the beginning of the video, it doesn't seem to flicker for a couple of seconds.

12. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is the Toyota error code from dealer write up;
    U0142

Lost communication with body control module “B.”

U0155

Lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module.

Reference link; Hybrid vehicle air conditioning service - Automotive Service Professional

I could not reproduce your flicker on my nice compact digital camera, nor on my camera phone. I still need to test taking video in daylight with camera pulled back.

13. hellonearth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Chazz thank you very much for all your help and trouble. The U0155 Lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module sounds scary and reason to pass on this one

14. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I did manage to reproduce the dashboard video flicker on my smartphone camera, only in sunlight with camera more than 2 feet from speedometer.