1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v purchase in Chicago or California?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by rwitten, Oct 16, 2012.

1. rwitten

rwitten New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I am currently waiting for the best incentive to buy a Prius v, hoping the 0% financing opens up to my region eventually, but I am moving to California within a couple months.

Ideally, I was going to drive there in my new Prius v and have a moving cube delivered out there, but I'm wondering if I should wait to purchase the v in California and just fly out. From what I hear, there are more incentives to purchase out there. Not sure if that's true.

Any ideas? I'm eager to get this wagon!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    all I can tell you is that our sales taxes are pretty high circa 9%. If you are moving to California, don't know what kind of tax they charge you when you register your car. MIght be easier to just buy it out here when you get here.

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would purchase it in California. It depends on where you are moving to, but the tax rate here in San Diego is 7.25% opposed to the 9.XX% in Chicago. It just makes sense, you will also save on the wear and tear of the drive out to. Unless you have a trade in, here in Cali you do not get tax savings when you trade in a car. You pay tax on the full amount of the new car and then subtract the trade. If you have a trade that is worth some money, I would just buy it in IL and drive it out here.