1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v rated poor on new IIHS small overlap frontal crash test

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by walter Lee, Dec 20, 2012.

1. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  2. El Cuajinais

El Cuajinais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Saw this earlier today and was let down. So far the Prius v has wildly exceeded my expectations and now this news put my feet back on the ground. Those videos are scary to watch. The dummy's head even misses the airbag and hits the dash! I wonder what speed is the car doing because it doesn't even look very fast! Makes me want to pray every time I go into my new car now.

The sad part is, my 2013 Prius v will never be "updated" to improve on that type of crash. All improvements will occur on future models.

3. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has similar testing been done on 2011 Prius?

4. swg

swg 12 Prius / 13 Volt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    40mph

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a brand new and very scary test o_O - it's never been done before until now... quite a few much more expensive vehicles have also failed this test. :whistle: In some cases, this type of collision test rips the entire left front tire/wheel assembly off the vehicle. :oops: ISTM that this test tries to determine if whether the wheel assembly will cave into the passenger compartment where the driver is sitting and crush the driver. :coffee: Vehicles that normally protect the driver in a head on collision may not protect the driver in this freakish side-swipping offset collision scenario. It is very strange. My guess is that since all 3rd gen Prius share the same construction in the front - that all 3rd gen Prii have the same Achille's heel wrt to this type of high speed collision. Hence, this collision test warns the driver of a potentially dangerous collision scenario. :cautious:

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Unless a car is a recent redesign, you can expect almost all cars to fail. It is very evident in the result.

So next gen Prius should pass it after it has done full redesign.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Neighbor kid had this type of crash in a Pontiac Fiero. Survived. But when we visited the car in the wrecking yard, it was scary to see that the left front wheel had dented the seat, driven right back and through the footwell.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am of two minds here. Somehow we think that we can design cars to be absolutely safe. Its never going to happen. Humans are driving. This test seems to try to save people that are driving at 40+ mph into a tree or pole.
    IIHS: Family cars safer than luxury cars in new crash test

i wonder how many of those 2500/year would die anyway even if all new cars go to the new standards. My guess is this test won't save many of them. The average vehicle age is over 10 years. We don't know if someone driving a new accord sedan (rated good) would have survived even if it passed the test. Still most manufacturers seem to be able to at least get marginal -

Unless you are planning to run high speed into an obstacle though I would not worry about driving a camry or prius v. The driver is the number one safety device. Many of us ride motorcycles and bicycle. 9000 people die each year falling in the bathroom. If your worried about this new stat you should really worry about the bathrooms in your house.

AllenZ likes this.
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. They made it sound as if these were the cars killing people. Then you look at the chart and most had no injuries except lower legs and feet. The two exceptions the A4 and Lexus ES injured hips and thighs, the ES sustaining both injuries on the crash test dummies.

New IIHS Crash Test to Prompt Modification, Hurt MPG | AutoGuide.com News

Honda Accord sedan is the only non-luxury car sold in the US to get a "good" on the test.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

IIHS-HLDI
    shows the almost dead Suzuki Kizashi getting "good" on that test. Problem is, American Suzuki filed for bankruptcy.

13. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me like this is a test which, in retrospect, should have been developed years ago.
    It suggests to me that the further offset you get,the weirder looking in terms of odd directions the force gets.
    It's time for the safety engineers to go to it again.

14. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is an almost unrealistic test but it still could be brutal for sales.

Strange how the V's side curtain airbag deployed late.

The Ford Fusion's frontal design seemed to slide off during impact making it a glancing blow. I would think this would be preferred for this test. However, the front left wheel seemed to detach more easily and so it didn't crush the cabin. Otherwise the Fusion would have been just as bad any other failed crash test. The Fusion also had a crappy small side curtain air bag.

15. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is all rubbish because Toyota has surged again in top automobile sells they have to find some way to notch them down again. Make no mistake accidents do happen but the severity of injuries suffered in a frontal crash test varies widely for each incident regardless of location to the front of the vehicle. This is another independent supposedly nonprofit organization with too much influence to control which auto companies have a potential to come out ahead in future sells.

16. AdamA

AdamA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thing that bothers me the most, in the Toyota's, and the malibu (and 1 more, but I don't recall which, maybe Hyundai) was the steering column moved to the right as the vehicle was crumpling around the barrier.

On the Prius V, or the Camry, don't remember, but I'm leaning on the Camry, the door was nearly ripped open.... Sure makes me wonder, how accurate was the IIHS testing from earlier, though it wasn't quite this drastic of a hit from 20% of the front end.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like Toyota's response to this, "This new test raises the bar again and we will rise to meet the challenge!"

Continuing to make safer cars can only be a good thing.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern cars are extremely safe for normal conditions. The main factor in accidents is human factors, including the decission to drive in bad weather. Roads to reduce acidents with these human factors, and driver training, including retesting drivers, are the only way to really reduce these fatalities.

Last year there were 32,367 fatalities according to NHTSA. IIHS seemed to go through the stats for many years and found that approximately 2500 of these were from small offset frontal crashes and devised a test. So far so good. Let's look at the stats and help car makers and consumers understand.

Then we get the articles, and Toyota and Lexus seem to do the worst of new cars tested, but when we drill down into the Lexus ES crash test data we don't really see fatal injuries on the crash test dummies. I assume the camry and prius v will give similar results. I think instead of the splashy headline, an analysis of which cars and what speeds are causing the deaths. That is kind of dull, and it wouldn't cause so much interest. It also begs the question, if all these cars do well, why are there 7500/year deaths according to IIHS from non small offset frontal crashes. The answer quite simply is the previous tests didn't save those 7500 people, nor do the 9 air bags etc. We can not expect that this new test is going to save the 2500.

We can continue to make our cars like tanks, but that won't really help solve the main causes of accidents, distracted and/or impared driving. It won't help the pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcylists hit by the cars.

We now know the camry and prius v should not be top safety picks:mad:, but they still are very safe cars.

REW and Tracksyde like this.
  19. AtoyotA

AtoyotA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This "failure" of the Prius v does not bother me much at all. You have to realize what the IIHS is doing. This is a "new" test. The engineers design the cars to pass the federal regulations first and foremost. The IIHS has a long history of coming up with "new" tests that are more severe than the federal safety tests. If the federal test calls for a collision at 35 mph, the IIHS will test at 40 mph. That "minor" change means 30% more energy needs to be dissapated. A big change, though most people don't realize that.

Yes, I want a safe car, but I don't want a battle tank that will protect me in every conceivable situation - there is the point of diminishing returns. Where that point is, I don't know. But I do know I am very happy with my Prius v.

bostonbruins8703 and austingreen like this.
  20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at this video, it seems like in some of these tests, the impact misses the left side rail/grumple zone, then shreds the fender, hits the tire and the rim goes for a direct hit of the passenger footwell/firewall.

For the Chevy Malibu, it was more like a swipe than an impact. The car completely passed by the barrier and probably caused less wheel to passenger footwell area damage.
    Toyota's Camry, Prius V get worst ratings in new crash test - latimes.com