1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v software recall

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by telmo744, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Alesf76

Alesf76 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also the European HSD Auris are recalled, but just the ones built before mid-2014, that means that the fix to the IPM management software has been already applied in factory to cars built after the Prius v 3 recall.

telmo744 likes this.
  2. Robbomac

Robbomac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found a new 2014 Prius v still on my local dealer's lot, and finalized a deal on July 24. However, the dealership couldn't release the car to me until this patch was done. I finally got the car with the updated firmware on July 31 - love it!

#42 Robbomac, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    DogDaze likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I still haven't gotten anything in the mail about my 2014 v? Maybe not all vins are affected?

DogDaze likes this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check your VIN on the Toyota corporate site. Ours is flagged for the recall but our dealership says Toyota has not yet started sending out letters because as noted the 'fix' has not yet been established.

DogDaze likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Before getting the patch, use this time to run a set of benchmarks. Then repeat them after the patch.

Bob Wilson

DogDaze and bisco like this.
  6. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I received my notice yesterday for my 2012 v2, taking it in this morning for the software update, said to take 1 hour to complete. I will be comparing any changes to fuel mileage. Currently, just passed 40,000 miles trouble free, average 44.8 mpg per display (43.7 manually calculated).

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check your tire pressure when done. Toyota is notorious for 'deflating' tires to the pressure they want.

Bob Wilson

DogDaze likes this.
  8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well not my v, but took the Persona in today for its 10k mile service / state Insp/emissions a little early at 8800 miles and just under a year of ownership and yup! They deflated my tires to 36 all around... I politely asked and had them pump them right back up to 44/42 :)

And I forgot to ask them about my v and the recall but they never mentioned anything to me, one would think an alert or something would pop up on their screen? Guess not.

DogDaze likes this.
  9. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Got our recall notice today (Canada-2013 v).
    Will call dealership tomorrow and schedule appointment.

DogDaze likes this.
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Had the MG software recall work done this morning. Took all of 45 minutes, which included a complimentary multi-point inspection during which the dealership -- wait for it -- reset tire inflation pressures to 32 all around from my preferred 42F/40R... Thank you. Not.

Have a 500 miler coming up this weekend on which to check the post-software load MPG.

DogDaze likes this.
  11. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Air_Boss - I shall be awaiting you reporting the post-MGen S/w Fix MPG results after your 500-miler this weekend to see if there is any discernible "Hit" to the MPG Fuel Economy of your Prius v Five.

DogDaze likes this.
  12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As will I, thanks.

DogDaze likes this.
  13. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just bought a used 2012 Priusv w/55k miles.. The recall is flagged in the CarFax, so has not yet to be performed.
    in the short week we've owned it, it runs great so far and much better MPG's than we were expecting to see from a 'v'
    (got 58.5 in a trip to work across town and back yesterday.. RT is ~56miles.. about ~20 of which are freeway miles)

The car does have a hitch under the back.. I'm expecting them to give us a hassle over that when we take it in for the recall,
    but other than the failed 12v battery at the time of purchase, it's been running very nicely so far. (& rivaling our gen3 liftback for mileage)
    I'll be curious to see (if/how) the recall might affect the fuel economy..

14. rottnsoul

rottnsoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    the software issue is so the relays on the battery junction block dont burn out as thats what happens if you dont get this recall done. The relays close and then it will fry your invertor assembly. How do i know?? i maintain a fleet of 65 and this has already happened. Its got nothing to do with fuel economy people

telmo744 and DogDaze like this.
  15. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the update rottnsoul

XT1058 ?

16. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, just curious.. did you see any decrease in mileage or performance after the recall was performed?

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Practically, no difference, except a more 'industrial' sound on regen.

Arguably, some small fractional mpg improvement around town, from 42 to 42+ mpg overall.

DogDaze likes this.
  18. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Air_Boss... Thank you for the Update on the recall.. we actually.... (debated at first) opted to schedule it in w/our regular Toyota Dealer for the recall for this Saturday.

I was worried they might comment about the hitch.. but knowing that it was installed by the original Toyota dealer makes me feel a little more confident should it get a mention. I assume it shouldn't be a problem... but will be quick to offer my comments on it if so.. ;)

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The one thing we noticed with our regular Prius after a similar recall: the car was slightly more willing to slip into electric-only mode. I noticed this, didn't mention to wife. Out of the blue she made the same observation, so I think there was something happening there. Accordingly, I'd say our around town mpg improved slightly.

20. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mendel, thank you for your note and the information.. I noted similar but maybe different observations on her 2011 liftback as well. We didn't notice any particular difference in fuel mileage on it, but in our case I've noticed I can't always put it in EV mode like I could before.. (I sometimes get prompted EV mode in not available) It seems to happen more often when it's really HOT outside... yet, if I go easy on the accelerator, it will actually stay in the electric mode.. (when I can't do it manually) I only do it on occasion when I know I'm not going to exceed 25.. like when I roll around the corner to pick her up.. it's kinda nice to know the gas motor is not gonna start back up when not needed.

I like the feel of the V right now.. it feels like it has more power and seems to stay on the EV mode a lot longer and more often than the liftback.. I'm hopeful, that it remains close to the same.. I assume on account that it has a larger BIG battery pack.. when compared to the liftback?

Other than the lack of the solar roof... I think I like the drive and feel of the V better.. it has a bit more of an SUV feel I guess as opposed to a wagon.. (maybe the tinted windows make it just feel that way??)

Mendel Leisk likes this.