1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v software recall

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by telmo744, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure, but I think the battery pack is the same on the v. The engine also is the same. What was change a bit was the transaxle "gearing", to give it a bit more oomph, to contend with more weight.

As to EV mode, I don't use it much, just attempt to use it when shifting the car in/out of the garage, trying to avoid a start up. And I'd concur, really hit-or-miss. Pretty much always miss, fall through spring.

For my garage to driveway shifts, if EV's on strike I take advantage of the 15 seconds or so of EV always available at start up, sometimes more than one, if I need more seconds.

DogDaze likes this.
  2. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I agree, hard NOT to get a start-up fall thru spring... I barely get out of the garage before the engine fires up.. (on the liftback) the V seems a lot more forgiving in that regard.

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I cared about the 2016, and had a wish list item, it'd be to make that 15 seconds more like 30 seconds.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, too bad we can't access the computer and change it as desired... via the cloud!! ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The V was not included in the prior Gen III recall and does not share the extended coverage Toyota announced. We have had the software flash completed only to have the inverter fail three months later and Toyota deny coverage. Software was supposed to fix problem Prius V inverters were having but warranty coverage was not extended.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not right. did you call customer care?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    outch! how much was the bill?

8. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, same denial after waiting a week for the reply.

9. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    $2186.15

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    frustrating. i would not be a happy camper.

11. Sverker

Sverker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I live in Sweden and we had the "software recall" here also. But I did not own my car then at the time.

And some days ago when I was making a lane change on the highway and gave some throttle to increase the safety distance between me and the car coming from behind in the lane that I were changing too.
    Then all force disappeared and all 4 yellow lights lit up.. ..and I ended up in front of the car that was coming from the rear.. ..because I could not accelerate.. Luckily, all went OK

So I suspect that apparently my car has not got the new software update that should prevent the triod to burn up in the inverter!
    I have a handheld scan tool and i plan to look if i can see the software version in the car and confirm that it is the old one.

Does anybody know in which software VERSION the fix were introduced? (So older versions should have the bug/issue.)

12. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Contact any Toyota dealer, they have the info if the car was recalled.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Sverker

Sverker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now everything is cleared.
    Toyota wants 18.526 sek to replace only the "transistor" in the Intelligent Power Module (IPM). The IPM is contained in the inverter unit under the hood. They said that only replacing the IPM can make that other components fail in the future..
    The second option is for 22.747 sek to replace the whole inverter..

Those options including error seeking for 1600 sek/hour, and they needed 2-3 hours..

• Now I pay full insurance and it has a machine moment, but my car is not covered when it has more than 12.000 Mil (Si) on the clock.
    • Toyota will not take this on goodwill.
    • Toyota has an insurance if you let them service the car once a year. But I didn't let THEM service the car. So this is not valid
    • I live in Sweden and has not 15 year extra warranty that Toyota US has implemented for this specific known issue.
    So with an OLD Prius you are smoked when something breaks down in the costly electronics!
    This is my second Prius and I believed in Toyota that they had the quality to pull of with the trick to make a hybrid that keeps together and do not break down.
    My first Prius that was a gen 1 there the battery broke down at 8.000 Mil (Si). For 40.000 sek. Toyota took it on goodwill.

So in retrospective two of my two Priuses has some hybrid tech breakdown. That if you think you will same some money on gas.. Think again because you will need to give more than twice than you save to Toyota when it break down.
    That is my experience anyway.

So if you own a Toyota with hybrid tech then make sure that it is covered by some kind of warranty or insurance!

How it turned out?
    Well, after some calls there i told them that this is a known issue and in US they have also extended warranty on just his issue.
    Toyota called me up and said that there were a 7 year "fabriksgaranti" (factory warranty) and Toyota will take the costs for the repair!!??
    I was very glad.

But I have searched on google for this "7 year factory warranty" and not find any.. ..it feels that they only made that up because they also knew that this failure are because of inferior quality of the transistor in the inverter. But who knows..

Well, maybe it is time to sell this OLD and in the future highly costly hybrid car?!(It is not IF it will break down. The question is more WHEN it breaks down) :(
    (And you can also add the added hazard with the hybrid tech of driving it on the highway and you may get injured (see my previous post))

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Swedish sek is equivalent to 11 cents US, ie: 0.11 of a US dollar. Also, I believe in Sweden they sub decimal point where North Americans use a comma?

So for example, the first amount, 18.526 sek, to replace transistor, becomes $2,038 (US).

Loved Wallander, btw! (y)