1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v, starter Motor question

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by pvee, Dec 26, 2022.

1. pvee

pvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Which battery actually powers the electric engine starter motor.

And if the traction battery voltage is real low, like in the blue area, will the car still start?
    Our Prius v will be 10 years old in May 2023.
    I replaced the small 12 volt battery about one year ago.
    The traction battery will drain down to the danger area when setting in stalled traffic or a long line in a drive through restaurant, but always charges back up and always starts.
    thanks..

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The traction battery uses MG1 to start the gasoline engine. There is no separate starter motor.

The computer protects the traction battery, and won't let it drain down to dangerously low levels in stalled traffic or anything like that. If you had the gas engine running recently, the traction battery should have enough charge left for numerous starting attempts.

pvee likes this.
  3. pvee

pvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your replay, I'm researching changing the traction battery in the spring if it last that long. Toyota wants 2600.oo for the battery and I am not sure if it has all new cells in it. I don't want o be a rebuilt one with a bunch of 10 year old cells still in it....pvp

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a toyota battery from a dealer would be all new. however, yours is not exhibitng any signs of danger.

all prius drain to two bars when sitting in traffic, the software is programmed that way.

if it starts swinging wildly from high to low and back, continually during normal driving, that's a sign of trouble

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should clarify that your 12V battery can get drained too low to start, which for the 12V systems means booting up the ECUs and pressurizing the brake accumulator, but not cranking the gas engine. A drained 12V battery doesn't mean a drained traction battery.

When stuck in traffic, as Bisco said, when the traction battery gets down to 2 bars, the ICE is forced on to charge back up to 3 bars. Lather, rinse, repeat until the fuel tank is empty. That 2 bars should have enough margin to crank the ICE quite a few times.