1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V test drive oddness

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Caseous, May 27, 2012.

1. Caseous

Caseous New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi there. I just asked a question about wheel size and now I have one about the Prius V. I'm trying to decide between a regular 2012 Prius and a V. I took the V for a test drive and found the acceleration to be significantly slower than the standard model. Did anyone else experience anything like that. Did you find the handling on the V ok, better or worse than the standard model? I'd like to know if my radar was off or the extra weight or something of the V was causing it.

Thanks,

Caseous

2. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We've recently test driven the Prius 3 (hatchback) and v (wagon). We agree the hatchback is peppier than the heavier, less aerodynamic v (wagon). However, the v has a softer, less bumpy ride than the hatchback.

We made those comparison drives three times before selecting the Prius v for our needs.

Yesterday we took delivery of my wife's Prius v. Only a 100 miles but enjoying it thus far.

1 person likes this.
  3. Caseous

Caseous New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Can I ask which Prius V you got?

4. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We got the v3 ... not much more (~$750) than the v2 (base), and the added options make that worthwhile.

We also added two-tone leather with heated front seats, fog lights, window tint, and carpets.

Don't claim to have gotten any kind of 'deal,' but we're happy.

5. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drove a std. 4 and a v2, and honestly ... to me the v was better. points i noticed. the car is only about 300 lbs heavier... aerodynamics don't really come into play for off-the-line accel....they do at about 30mph and above. i felt that the v accelerated better, as it has a lower gear ratio, it road smoother - with the longer wheelbase and pitch/bounce control...
    as well as cornered flatter. a bit wider stance, and i didn't confirm but i think maybe comes with rear sway bar where the std. does not. also in my road test about 30 miles each - using cruise, etc. i got 43 in the std. and 46mpg in the v.

wind noise was also quieter in the v - those little headlight fins do well to reduce wind noise from the rear view mirrors.
    as well, i think maybe the interior has a little more sound deadoning.

all in all both were nice to drive - for me, i'm looking at ordering a v this week - simply because of the taller cargo space, no dash bridge to hit the knees, and for me, the better ride. it all comes down to personal preference.