1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Test Drives

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 8, 2011.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Real-World data will have quite an impact. Just look at how Volt MPG after depletion was hyped prior to rollout and how much it was downplayed after finding out it was much lower than expected.

That editorial attempts to insult the capacity decision without ever acknowledging the primary purpose of keeping the design affordable for the masses.

v may not hold mainstream press attention much, since they typically focus on standout niche vehicles rather those that joe consumer actually buys. After all, what's exciting about a vehicle you see frequently during your commute. ;)

2. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

2011 Toyota Prius 4 DR FWD | Safercar -- NHTSA

It is still overall 5/5 star rating... in IIHS testing, it got Good on everything, including roof tests:
    IIHS-HLDI: Toyota Prius

I think NTHSA included more strict ratings after Prius's introduction... in EuroNCAP, it is also one of the top scorers:
    Toyota Prius | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

4. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Don't get me wrong, I feel pretty safe in my GenIII Prius. But I am coming from an 8th Gen Honda Civic that had 5 out of 5 starts frontal crash, almost a perfect score overall. There is still room for improvement for the GenIII Prius, that is why I am asking if the Prius v can get closer to the perfect 5 out of 5 in all categories.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may also want to take a look at the scores of other upcoming 2012 cars and don't forget that there has been recent changes in the test.

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/safercar/pdf/2012crashtestdatathatcarryover.pdf

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't ask how I know but in a hard corner u turn, and turns in general, I honestly felt it handled like my 'regular' 2010 Prius. I was quite impressed with what Toyota has done with the vehicle.

As for braking, it braked fine. I may have had to press harder, or it took ever so slightly longer than my 2010 but honestly just 'driving it' I commented to Linda on a few ocassions how I felt like I was back at home simply cruising around in my own Prius...

I also noted that driving the base v compared to the fully loaded v, the car had to work a bit harder off the line same as when I drive my Prius V with AT compared to driving my dads III. Is it enough to warrant not getting a loaded v? Hell no.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some thought 50 mpg was possible simply by keeping the ICE at the optimal condition in series hybrid mode. Oh boy, were they surprised when they found out the ICE powers the wheels with a clutch to improve efficiency and performance. We knew 50 mpg was not realistic and our comments were voted down.

Prius v initially was rated at 40 mpg but the final spec came out with 42 mpg. These real world test drives are getting more. Seems like Toyota under-promised and over-delivered.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree and that's why I am hoping that the PHV will be rated with a higher combined than 50mpg with the help of EV regen. A 13 mile EV with a 55mpg HV will do it for me. I think if the PHV were to have almost 20mpg more per gallon than the Volt in HV mode, thet would be the "Game Over".

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was the low 'scorer' in the test drive. 3 of us in the car and I pushed it pretty hard climbing over the mountain to the beach side and not babying it at all on the streets. Still finished with 40.3mpg in mostly city and semi-rural driving (no freeway). We also stopped for a bit so the ice cooled down and was restarted, but mostly it was the mountain that screwed me as I was over 43mpg just prior to that climb.

I intentionally took some curvy roads at high speed and felt the handling was quite impressive. It's still not a vehicle that would appeal to me personally, but it is a winner as far as design and performance goes and anyone in the price and category would be foolish to not give it their full consideration.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius v is pretty light considering it's size. It is 700 lbs lighter than the compact 4 seater Volt. It uses zero electricity from the plug so if you are in the market to utilize the grid, this is not for you. If you are looking for a single midsize family car that can do everything well, this car is for you.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to do a bit of swerving within my own lane at freeway speeds, and actually observed the EPS providing less assist during the "back and forth" oscillations I was trying to induce. I did this multiple times, and found assist during the initial steering effort, but the assist almost completely disappeared, and in fact, almost fought my efforts to "mess around". Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any good corners in the amount of time I had to really test handling.

As for the steering wheel, I was told to the contrary that it did NOT have SoftTex wrapping because of deadlines. I didn't miss it though, and felt the rubber wrapping was adequate for grip and comfort.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well, thats because NTHSA made tests harder... your 8th gen Civic now scores 2 stars in 2011 NTHSA test:
    2011 Honda Civic Gets Two Stars in Latest NHTSA Crash Test

1 person likes this.
  13. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, if the Leaf ever sports a 200 mile range i'm buying one. :)

2 people like this.
  15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

is it plastic wheel then or it has some kind of soft material?

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It felt like a rubber coating - it is soft and energy absorbing. Think like Gen II.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the prototypes or for the final version?

That compares with 44mpg in "city" driving as per the EPA. Somehow, they're underestimating the capabilities of the Prius v.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did anyone tried the Entune?

19. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It was demonstrated to us, yes. It still seemed to have a few kinks, but I was impressed by the ability to do voice searches for Bing on the higher-end Display Audio version, and Pandora seems useful (it buffers up to 4 songs at 32kbps, less at 64kbps). Sadly, I think carriers introducing capped data plans makes the proposition slightly less valuable, and being tied to broadband data makes it less useful during long trips or in rural areas.

I was more concerned about how it drove and just listened to Satellite Radio and tried out HD Radio on a local FM radio station (KROQ - yes, you can hear a difference). I did appreciate that you could split screen between NAV and energy monitor or audio.

They didn't have screen resolution specs on-hand, but the larger screen definitely looked sharper than our curent screen. Can't wait till these systems hopefully make it into the existing Prius line-up.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Same here, I was impressed at how easy it was to use Pandora and I Heat Radio and how good it sounded. Also, other apps such as weather, stock info (if you need that in your car) worked great.

Interesting thing was in the lower end radio which had a touchscreen, it uses your phones data plan to do weather, stocks etc. While in the premium radio with Entune it uses a subscription to XM in order to get this info. I had to ask, why should someone who spends less on a radio get services for 'free' without having to pay for an XM account. Answer? Seems you'll get free XM service when you get the high end Entune setup, possibly a few years.

Also, the radios we used were still prototype units so that has to also be kept in peoples mind when we talk about what we saw and used. Like Rick mentioned, we weren't given specific screen resolutions but the visuals looked great. The high end hdd entune radio has higher resolution than the smaller unit, and I think it was a 7.1" screen.

Overall, comparing both systems to the nav in my 2010, they are great units and I think people who get either system will be quite pleased.