1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Three Foglight Install - w/Pics!

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by managerman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A couple weeks back I decided I was going to add foglights to my new Prius v Three. I had seen a few other threads about how to accomplish the task...I also saw that a "kit" from Priuschat was in the works, but I did not feel like waiting. So I went ahead and ordered a kit from Blinglight.com...I have read that they are not too bad...and they are not. I also ordered the Prius v Five foglight bezels so I could have a almost identical look as factory installed fog light. I have created a PDF pictorial of the install for all you brave souls that wish to attempt this fun project...It literallaly took me a whole weekend to do this project. I went slow, ran into many issues along the way, but I sure learned alot! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Here is the link to the Install PDF with pictures! Please use Acrobat Reader 9 or above.

-M

foglights.jpg

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice write up! I've had bad experience using the heat shrink tubing in the past. It is not water proof, or maybe I didn't do a good job making it shrink. Although I noticed you didn't mention you soldered the cut harness back together, and I'm not really sure how well it works on unsoldered connections, there is a product I purchased at Walmart a while back called Performix Liquid Tape that provides a waterproof seal. It comes in two forms, a paste and a spray. (I really suck at soldering but I try anyways. I probably wouldn't have cut the harness and just kept all the extra wire tied up somewhere inside the passenger compartment, maybe inside the dash, if that was a possibility?)

3. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Few years ago, I bought a black heat shrink tubing set from JC Whitneys and they come with glue inside the tube, so once heat shrunk they're water proof. I don't see these in the new catalog though.

4. PriusV in San Jose

PriusV in San Jose New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I really liked the write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Can I ask what the total cost was?

Could you also wire the fog lights up for daytime running lights? I think you could by tapping into the right circuit...

5. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cost Breakdown:

1.) Blinglights Kit = $60.00
    2.) Factory Fog light Bezels = $67.00
    3.) Two days messing with it = Priceless!

I would imagine you could use them as DRL, and I am sure someone has done something similar on this forum..You might want to search the liftback forums, I would not be suprised if someone has done it there.

-M

TheTewks likes this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Normally you tap into a wire that is hot only when the Parking/Headlights are on. To have DRL function, you need to connect the relay for the foglights to a +12V power source that is on when the Prius is in Ready Mode, independent from the Parking/Headlights.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wonder if one could tap the D indicator light somehow, because that replicates how most DRLs function.

8. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here are the part numbers for the official Toyota Foglight Bezels (From Prius v Five)

Left: 52040-47010
    Right: 52030-47010

They were 33.00 each from Toyotapart.com 1.800.581.3033

-M

9. lucernech

lucernech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I realize this post is quite old (and probably why the link is dead) but was wondering if the PDF is still available? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Google search Toyota Prius V Fog Light Install. I can’t link it for some reason...

#10 jzchen, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    PePrice likes this.