1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V tire size

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by lordkahless, Apr 19, 2013.

1. lordkahless

lordkahless Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm the happy new owner of a 2012 Prius v. My question is it came with P205/60 R16 tires. These of course have lots of life left on them. My question is I have a brand new pair of P205/55 R16 tires that were going for a car I don't have anymore. If at some point I put these on my Prius V is there any issues with this car having a 55 instead of a 60 tire. Other than throwing the speedometer off.

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think so. As you stated, other than the odometer reading difference, you may end up with a rougher ride but surely better than the ride with the 50 series tires.

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    May wish to try "Tire Rack" site to compare the actual dimensions of the respective tires....

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the rolling circumferences are the same, you're fine.

This calculator will help you to find out.

Tire size calculator

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not going to hurt anything BUT it will probably look pretty silly with such a short tire compared to the stock size which is .6" taller. Taller tires generally offer better fuel economy.

The speedometer will be even further off than it is from the factory so I would expect a 2-3mph over-read. That means your odometer will also read faster and artificially raise your mpg.

While it won't hurt anything, I personally don't think the goofy appearance and speedo error is worth any potential savings. Which also begs the question, are they LRR? If not you'll really be shooting yourself in the foot with further mpg loss.