1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v was totaled

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by aneuman, Sep 6, 2018.

1. aneuman

aneuman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got into a car accident on Monday that totaled my 2013 Prius v Five. Luckily my son and I are both fine. When I went to the wrecker yard to get everything out of my car, I cried realizing that it was done. I LOVED that car.

What would you do if you had to unexpectedly replace your Prius v? I am leaning toward a 2016 or 17 Prius v because I can't find anything else that fits my needs (size, efficiency, reliability) quite as well. I feel kind of foolish not even going to test drive any new cars. Ideas and/or sympathy?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You could test drive a new chevy volt assuming you have a good spot to charge it. Good reviews on this generation but I am not sure I would buy one used. Since it's a plug in hybrid you might get a federal rebate. Still the new volt would cost much more than a used Prius v.

Nothing wrong with a low mileage recent v. Currently I am in NYC and there are lots of them here as cabs. Saw the same thing in Europe last year. They were better than the Mercedes and Audi cabs and had better ac.

Personally I might wait until January and look at the all new Rav4 hybrid, which may well have similiar mpg and room as the v. The gas version should be out in a month or two. The Avalon and Camry hybrids available now are both higher mpg than before so that system will be mimicked in the Rav4. The Avalon also has the latest head unit with IOS CarPlay and the second gen safety systems, both expected in the Rav4. I would stay high mpg in any replacement other than a short term rental. I suspect another gas price spike is in the cards which will dramatically increase hybrid demand again.

#2 rjparker, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad you weren't injured. It won't be your first, but there are replacement v out there...

4. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'd go 1 step higher and go PHEV. Honda Clarity seems would be near my top of the list for now (until better choices appear).

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's clear you really liked how that v fit your life... I'd say you're on the right track looking for another gently used one.

The Rav4 is probably worth a peek, though I doubt it would be worth the expense and hassle of waiting (renting) until the new model arrives.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear your loss of loved one, that is Prius v, but glad to hear that you and your son escaped OK. I was just looking at used Prius V for our secondary car. It is hard to find reasonably priced recent model used ones, but they are out there. If you are set for Prius V, used are the only option now. I don't know how much improvement they made on 2016 or 2017, but the one I was interested was 2013 Prius v Two with only 45K miles and price was reasonable with some room for negotiation. Good luck in your search for a new car.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and glad you're okay!

i understand about loving your car. if it works, why risk something you might not be as happy with?

i've been in a prius for 14 years, and have yet to see another vehicle to match it.

i'd go with another v. all the best!(y)

djasonw, Sooner Al and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, another v.

Craig C and Sooner Al like this.
  9. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Stall till 1Q19 when RAV4h comes out but risk of new engine? Nothing but 2 very high mileage v wagons on craigslist in Atlanta. Jacksonville has one Toyota Prius V-wagon 2014*Package #5 with Tech package - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

I've been thinking of replacing my '12 V but really haven't found anything I want. Model 3 is too small and not enough trunk space. Model Y not available for years. I need and like that small wagon form factor. Subaru I've heard good things and bad about but it is pure ICE.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what your situation is, but my advice might be just to wait a while before making a decision.
    Since you evidently were very happy with the Prius v, that would definitely be on the top of the list. But if you can take some time, have access to transportation in the mean time, I might take the opportunity to investigate other options.
    Some times right after an accident and loss isn't really the best time to make a decision.

But of course, to flip flop on the issue, if you are sure you'd be happy with a newer, used Prius v? Then I guess you could say, why wait? No shame in knowing what you like.

Glad nobody was hurt, and good luck with your next vehicle evolution.

12. aneuman

aneuman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! If Toyota still sold the Prius v in the US I would 99% sure buy a 2018 Prius v. The lack of new cars makes it hard to find one (I have a long commute and plan to keep it for 10 years, so I want as new a car as possible). Carmax has a few that they will transfer for a fee. I basically want a fuel-efficient station wagon, which I guess no one else wants given that they are not sold in this country. The RAV4 gets 34 mpg, and I can't see giving up that much efficiency. But alas, the Prius is not big enough for my family to take road trips. Sigh...

13. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    If you really like the V that much and want new, just cross the border and buy from Canada. The exchange rate in your favor may offset the hassle and expense in coming here. You will have to put up with the Darth Vader look though from the latest offering.

scona likes this.
  14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Keep looking for a used Prius v. I searched for quite some time but eventually found a great deal on one. Our Prius v replaced our minivan and does a great job. There are very few (if any) other vehicles that can do what the Prius v does. It's a shame they cancelled it.

As for the comment above about test driving a Volt...jut don't go there. The Volt has very little hauling capacity...and very little room in the rear sear area. I don't think you would like it at all.