1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V wheels and tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by anonymoususer, Jun 30, 2010.

1. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only if you don't like the potential of being more efficient... hahaha. :) In all seriousness, they should help with increasing you mileage returns but....
    I think Cossie put it best: it's about your driving style. You could have the lightest rim/tire setup, but if you floor the accelerator in PWR mode all the time, you're probably not making the most efficient use of the lighter setup. The ligther wheels will assist with efficiency, but they definitely will not help if your driving style is aggressive.

2. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't hurt to shave weight from car, but the true benefit is minimal unless you are doing something crazy. As a daily driver, does it really matter? Even if you do get the 2mpg difference, the 2mpg @ $3/gallon over 50K miles is less than $120 bucks. If you can afford to buy new wheels and tires, I am sure you are not going to cry over $120 over 5 years. It's like calling people stupid for buying options, but then certain things are worth certain values to some people.

3. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. EmuMessenger

EmuMessenger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am really surprised to read they are not lightweight. Do we have confirmation of the 25ish lb estimates?

6. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I had my wheels changed out the guy at my dealership remarked about how stock wheels are notoriously weighty.

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    x2 on the confirmation...Has anyone else confirm how much the OEM 17" rims weigh?

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can tell you this... I was shipped some stock OEM 17s. The total weight of one of the boxes from the shipment was 29.1 lbs. The rim is a fairly tight fit in the cardboard box, so I would say the box is no more than 20in x 20in x 10in. Having said that, I would highly doubt the box weighs that much more than 5 lbs, if even that. Not at all that scientific, but I guess I could weigh the box to figure out the weight of the rim.

9. VolkCelicaGTS

VolkCelicaGTS New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Redacted for ignorance. Sorry! :D

- Dan