1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v with advanced safety options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spatel, Mar 10, 2012.

1. spatel

spatel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I had a 2010 Prius III and was involved in a bad accident and had to total the car. Now I am considering to get 2012 five with advanced safety options like lane keep assist(LKA) and pre collision system (PCS). Does anybody had any experience with those options and how helpful those options can be in case of any unfortunate accidents? Does PCS work in case of impending crash in front of moving objects like car as well as stationary object like pole or something similar? I understand that this features are not designed to replace safe and attentive driving but can help lessen the impact just in case.

Thanks.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The most valuable ATP option for most of us is the DRCC, it works great and I use it exclusively, I never use the normal cruise control. I use the LKA sometimes when I am on long trips and I start to feel tired or like I might get sleepy, other than that I usually don't turn it on. When I do turn it on it works OK most of the time, but mine seems to have trouble picking out the lane edge at night on poorly lighted or unlighted roads.

PCS is something I hope I never get to test! It should work on stationary as well as moving objects.

I understand in 2012 the ATP option comes with HUD, I wish my car had that.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you approach a moving or stationary object too closely at too high a speed, it cinches up the seat belts, primes the brakes, makes warning sounds, and if necessary, applies the brakes pretty forcefully, but without attempting a dead stop. There are several threads here where people reported and described their actual experiences. It's pretty impressive when it happens. It may be testimony to this preventative system that I haven't seen anyone report an actual accident after this system kicked in.