1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Versus Camry Hybrid or Ford C-MAX?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Crankykentucky, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Crankykentucky

Crankykentucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, has anyone traded their Prius for either a Camry Hybrid or the new Ford C-Max Hybrid?

Just wondering because I have a friend who just bought a 2013 Camry with the 2.5 four-cylinder and loves the car. He is happy with the mileage. I have read mixed reviews about the Camry Hybrid, however.

Thanks!

Fred

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking the Camry Hybrid 4 cyl has very good reviews...I do not know what you mean about mixed reviews but as of about 2012 model the TCH has finally achieved its full potential at about 40 MPG and very good power etc. Last time I priced new Camrys on CarMax I think the hybrid was getting a premium over the $3000 list price difference.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you look at a new Camry / Hybrid, sit behind the driver's seat, remove the headrest and sight from the seat edges up to the steering wheel edges, decide how that sits with you. Here's a photo shot straight into the seat, no photoshop. The offset is plain as day to me sitting in driver's seat which is a deal breaker. Interestingly enough, the C-Max has it too, and for what it's worth, I don't ever recall seeing an offset Honda wheel. Have one example photo, just ask.

camera 383a.JPG

I've driven Camry Hybrid, it's more powerful, quieter and smooth on highway.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    camry's are great, we used to average high 20's low 30's depending on the type of driving, and the new one's are even better. but our hycam is a big step up across the board (except trunk space) and we're getting 47mpg on the mfd first tank. my wife loves it but i would trade my 70mpg for 47.:cool:

5. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Wow, so you guys like the Camry Hybrid? My sister has a 2000 Camry with the base 4 cylinder and she gets 35mpg plus even in the mountains. Of course, she doesn't have a lead foot on the highway!
    My apartment building doesn't have an external power jack right now, so I don't know about the Plug In. I do like the Prius and hope the dealer works with me. I have driven the new C-Max and it is solid. Ford has come a long way in the last 5 years!
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

6. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  8. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, I got to drive a 2013 Camry Hybrid today and it was pretty nice. I can see why some people would be turned off by the small "pass-through" opening between the back seat area and the trunk. But, the car has a lot of pep and I really couldn't feel the gas engine kicking in like it does on my Prius III. The bad news is that, even though sales seem to be slow, this dealer would only discount the car about $1,000 with $750 rebate on top of that. He claimed that the invoice price prevents any deep discounts on the car. Maybe I will look at the regular Camry.

Interestingly enough, I didn't see any big incentives on the new Prius 4 even though this dealer has a lot in stock.

Has anyone here tried out the Hyundai Hybrid?

9. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    10-4, just wanted to be sure you were aware of mileage. Good luck!

10. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I find it interesting that I've seen the C-Max at Avis Car Rental outlets. I wonder what the user feedback is?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's too bad, we just got $3,500. off on ours. i've heard the hyundai's don't live up to their mpg's and have a lot of warranty issue's.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kia and Hyundai hybrid systems are totally different than Toyota and Ford which use same design principles. Optima and Sonata hybrids both use automatic type transmission, so you still feel shifting p and down. Their city MPGs are less than highway, and the highway MPG is less than Camry hybrid.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me just say that with 36" inseam legs measured crotch to barefoot, floor, the Prius liftback legroom is a bit cozy no matter what I do. Why? Because must slide forward well over an inch to reach steering wheel and it's still not all that close. My bad.

Camry hybrid will fit drivers with legs of 36" inseam and longer. Of course there's always those who chime in saying "I'm 6'6" and love Prius". Like to see a pic of them fitting knee under steering wheel while braking. But, wait, they probably point the steering wheel up near their neck / face to make room. That's a good idea if airbag deploys. :rolleyes:

14. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bisco, thanks for the note! Maybe I will try another dealer. This was the first visit to Dealer A!
    The Camry Hybrid really surprised me.
    Do you have any MPG figures yet on your new car? You got which trim level of Camry Hybrid, if I can ask?

15. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A friend of mine has the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and loves it. The only issue he has is passenger seat comfort.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

He has XLE with navigation, ultrasuede seats, everything except JBL if I recall. Was $33k ish sticker and paid bit under $30 right Bisco?

17. Crankykentucky

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is all good to know. I love the JBL on my 2010, especially using the iPod. I need to check out non-JBL system closer. Camry is much quieter than my bare bones Prius!
    I heard that the Camry Hybrids were moving slowly because of poor mileage figures in the low 30's. But, the more research I do, the more I think the complaints are with the older models--pre2012!

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, good memory! we turned in our 08 which we absolutely loved. it was getting 42 mpg on that tank. they gave us $11,000. for it which is pretty darn low depreciation on a $26,000. car after 5 1/2 years and 60,000 miles. my wife is still on her first tank on the new one and is getting 47 mpg so far. i think i could eek out 50, but don't tell her i said that.;)

19. PapaJ

PapaJ New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

20. PapaJ

PapaJ New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fred -- We drove the Prius V, the Camry Hybrid, and the C-Max. The V is roomy but turtle slow, noisy and handles poorly; the Camry is quick and efficient but has artificial-feeling steering/handling & the interior feels cheap; the C-Max has a much nicer interior and drives more like a normal car with good acceleration & handling. All good vehicles but really no contest, we bought the Ford.

Getting 47 MPG so far in mostly around-town driving. Reliability is still TBD, obviously Toyota is bulletproof in this area but Ford has a great 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid bits so we took the plunge.