1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Via Costco

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BabyD, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BabyD

BabyD New Member

My Mom bought me a Prius through Costco in April, Super White 2008 package 6 for $28,646 out the door. She really had a great Costco experience, and highly recommends it.

2. dmichael

dmichael New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would she consider adopting?

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    X2...or she could just pay off my Package 2 and call it even?:rolleyes:

4. FrankZ

FrankZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We got ours just this week and we got it through our Credit Union Car buying service...similar experience to Costco. It's great to not set foot in a dealership, isn't it?

5. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you search, you'll find mixed remarks about Costco. But I've bought 3 cars (including 2 Prii) through them and each time was an excellent, short, no BS experience for me. Also each car was bought at invoice (plus or minus a couple hundred) so I've been happy with the financial aspects as well.

Unfortunately the Prius isn't available via Costco in most areas now due to the present undersupply. Hopefully the new '09s will fix the seller's market we are now in and Costco will make them available through their sales channels again.

Whatever purchase method you decide, you'll love the car - especially with gas prices being what they are. Best of luck to you!

6. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm glad it worked for you. I bought my Prius in November 2007 and because I had a trade-in, the Costco dealer really tried to screw me over. I went to another dealer and I got $2500 savings from what the Costco dealer offered. I reported the experience to Costco.

The dealer will give you a "deal" and then take it away with the trade-in. For various reasons I did not want to sell my old SUV privately.

From what I could tell, if you're a tough negotiator, you can eventually get the Costco price or actually beat it like I did. But that was when Prii were plentiful -- there were at least 50 in the K.C. area when I bought. So none of this matters now.

7. SVPriusFan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Joekc,

My first purchase (also my first Prius) was with a trade in and I got KBB value for it without a hassle, so I was happy. The next two were no trade in purchases. All 3 buys were around invoice price as I mentioned previously and all were concluded quickly with no BS - in and out in about an hour. I dealt with the same person to set up the deal in all three instances, although the third purchase was concluded in another state due to a work-mandated move.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. From what you wrote it sounds like there was something weird going on and I hope Costco did something to deal with that jerk. I've heard mixed good/bad from others on this forum about Costco - I guess there are both honest and shady dealers operating in all venues we try...but I do want to share that my experience has been the best with them.

8. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    buddy of mine got his 08 p6 touring thru costco and also found his experience quite well, he reported a $900 savings compared if he went to the same local dealer directly

9. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How would one be able to tell that the Costco price would be better than a price you could eventually negotiate? I've bought 16 new cars in my life and I always felt I wasn't getting a good deal until the salesman was chasing me out to the parking lot as I broke off negotiations and left. Or sometimes they'll call me at home with a "final offer."

Costco may present a good deal, especially for the many who are uncomfortable with haggling, but it's hard to say if it's the best deal possible unless you have a similar non-Costco experience to compare it to.

What makes me even more suspicious is the sudden dropping of the Costco "discount" on the Prius. If this discount were in any way subsidized by Costco, it seems there would be no reason to drop it even with the Prius in short supply. I'm guessing it's a marketing partnership with some of the money getting kicked back to Costco, sort of like a finders fee. But I have no evidence this is true.

Finally, I have no desire to trash Costco. I respect them as good corporate citizens and I spend a lot of money (too much) with them. But the Costco "deal" would have cost me $2500 and that I can quantify. :)

10. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    didnt say it was best...but to the buyer he thought it was a good enough discount to not have to go and try to haggle...it also depends on the dealer that its being bought and compared to...and remember prices and premiums has sky rocketed here in CA...so i guess its also all quite relative to where you are as well

11. SVPriusFan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ditto that, KRC

I've made it quite clear pricewise the deals I've gotten from Costco over the past two years. And before those I did have many experiences buying that I could compare to my last three through Costco. I've negotiated several deals I'd consider very good ($300 above invoice for a 2002 Acura RSX, $250 above invoice for a 1999 Hyundai and $500 above invoice for a 1996 Ford Exploder, err...Explorer) - but each time required several hours forth and back, good cop/bad cop & other dealer BS, etc. I have been able to skip all this crap and get to a very good price within minutes through Costco for my past three Toyota purchases, two of which have been Prii. Of these three, the first was $250 above invoice, second was $200 below, and my most recent at invoice - and these were all per KBB listed invoice prices for the model & options I wanted.

Some people relish the "fight" of going in and wearing down the salesman - hey, if you are one of these go for it. I prefer not to waste my time and getting to a price I am willing to pay right away works for me. I'm very OK with paying invoice for a car - to me that is a GREAT price. But to those people have been able to do better through haggling, good for you. We all have to do what we think will get us the best deal.

As I said before, there are probably some shady dealers within the Costco network that have soured the experience for some, and they have been vocal here...But I'm not one of them.

Best of luck to everyone out there looking for a Prius!

12. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that's the bottom line: A few dealers will always try to game the system. I wouldn't be complaining now, but the situation I was in was 6 months ago and Prii were more than plentiful where I live. The Costco dealer had about 10 on the lot. So it wasn't a supply/demand issue. He just figured if he had to give the Costco discount he'd just make it up by ripping me on the trade-in. It was a take it or leave it, no negotiations offer. I left it.

13. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    very well put SVP!