1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Vibration - 2003

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Delemi, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have been experiencing a bad vibration in my engine during consistent RPM even at idle. It goes away during acceleration or letting off the pedal. I made a quick video.

-Video is still uploading at this point so... 30 minutes or so.

Today I changed 4 spark plugs and 4 coil packs. No change.
    338k on motor

2 codes in the ECM
    Failed start and bad O2 sensor which had been bad since I've owned it.
    Two weeks ago I had a Misfire code on 2 and 3.
    Help me out if you can I'm not going to throw money at this car if I cant figure it out I will be parting it out. Battery was balanced in August of 14.

2. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get the engine to idle Prius base idle Does it still vibrate? If you then unplug one coil at the time, is the effect same on every one? I’m pretty sure it’s not. Then you will find the problem cylinder (the one with no or least effect).

After finding problem cylinder you can make sure it’s not coil problem by switching two around. Then you can measure or look at wiring to that coil and fuel injector for that cylinder. Then you can change or swap around fuel injectors but you will probably need new O-rings for that.

#3 valde3, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have the vibration at idle or any consistent RPM. I can unplug any coil and it gets horribly worse. I have put two sets of spark plugs in it thinking one was cracked and not knowing which one it could be. I watched it on the SnapOn ODBII and at idle it runs 11 to 11.5 degrees on the timing. All injectors say they are firing. I am stumped, crank sensor going bad? I have no codes to go off.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does it vibrate at neutral? At neutral transaxle is (electrically) off. To get it to idle at neutral (only true idle) you need to do the steps on the link.

6. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, I went out at lunch and started the car. Put it in neutral and the vibration was there. I'm at work now but will troubleshoot more when I have time to.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Miss-fire sources:
    • ignition - you've already ruled that out assuming no connector issues
    • fuel injectors - not ruled out (Chapman is local expert)
    • manifold air or PVC hose leak - not ruled out, various tests
    • failed or failing valve - not likely, they tend to fail hard
    • failing throttle plate position - sticky, connector, or encoder
    The video doesn't work, no engine noise. To make the engine run, hit "MAX AC".

A failed O{2} sensor means the fuel-trim mechanism could have failed. This means the engine is using the default table built into the car and likely a very rich mixture. Do you take photos of the original plugs that might show carbon build-up?

BTW, the cited article is not terribly accurate about how the Prius ignition timing works. But it sounds like the last spark plug change fixed that particular car.

Bob Wilson

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That means its engine related. Maybe you could make better video? Running in neutral? From under the hood? Try to test ignition coil unplugging again in neutral. If it’s not in one cylinder it can’t (almost) be ignition or fuel injector related.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good to know you are not using a Prius-aware scanner.

So is this an auction Prius you are trying to return to service? Understand I am sympathetic to the goal but a Prius is not a regular car. It takes new skills and a scanner that knows how to read the Prius ECUs.

Have you measured the cylinder pressures?

Bob Wilson

10. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This is my daily driver, ran fine for the last few years. I redid the battery on it in August. Head gasket the year before. It's been a good car however I can't rely on it in this condition.

My scanner is a SnapOn Solus Ultra and it seems to be very aware of the car being a hybrid. I can watch charge and discharge rates among other things.

I'll measure cylinder pressure in the am.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I fully understand. Sometimes we've had auction cars show up. You've got history this this ride and it makes sense to make sure it is not something trivial.

I take it no evidence of bubbles in the radiator or loss of coolant (i.e., head gasket II?)

Chapman is the injector expert. He may have some ideas but I would be interested in knowing if they all 'sound alike':
    Mechanic's Stethoscope
    You might be able to identify a specific cylinder not firing correctly.

I would suggest swapping injectors but Chapman has reported the "O" rings often rot out and this can lead to another problem.

For grins, test the throttle plate with the car 'off' to make sure there is no evidence of sticky plate.

Don't rule out the mass-flow sensor being dirty. Again this like the O{2} sensor, it can lead to fuel mixture issues.

How are the short and long-term trim doing? Are they moving or 'fixed.' IF the old plugs were not gunked or sooted up, the fuel trim would be the next thing to look at.

If you don't mind, clear the codes and start it up to get the current codes again? I know Snap-on has a good reputation but I tend to favor scanners I've had 'hands on.' Still this sounds like an engine-only issue so the Snap-on should cover the parts we're most interested in. I'll see what Vol. 1 says as the ambiguity group for the codes.​

Bob Wilson

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you should really do the coil unplugging test again. Most of the stuff that peoples in this topic are suspecting should be seen in that test. Just do it in neutral. If you last did it in park transaxle can help or even completely spin the engine so might be impossible to see anything. If you have done it in neutral and are completely sure about it then we can rule out many things and concentrate on the things that are left.

13. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So it's warmed up considerably here in Michigan and the issue has went away. I am confused and unable to further troubleshoot this issue till it shows its self again. I have checked the coolant mix 60/40 (full) a tester says the coolant is healthy. Changed it last year. Gas, I can't really test it but I did put a bottle of HEAT in it to see if there was water/ice in it. I use it in my diesel truck and it seems to always work especially if the fuel is gelling or has water that has froze. Oil change done a few weeks ago.

Bob your input is always appreciated. We have talked a few times in the past about one of the 1st gen batteries I rebuilt. I have worked on several auction cars in the past mainly the electrical and battery rebuilds/reconditioning.

I'll keep you posted, I'm going to go to the shop this weekend to replace the rear shocks (been in the trunk of my car for a year waiting to get done) and watch the fuel trim on the scanner and probably replace the O2 sensor.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure that was me, but I think I might remember somebody else saying that in one of our injector threads. Toyota definitely does recommend using new O rings (injector tops, into the fuel rail) and rubber seals (injector bottoms, into the cylinder head) whenever the injectors are removed and replaced. They can be purchased separately. (I recommend having extra O rings on hand for anyone who hasn't installed the injectors before, because as another PC member found out, there's some advice in the shop manual that seems strangely touchy-feely, but if you shrug it off you wind up with smashed O rings and bent injectors and fuel spraying out, instead of a successful job.)

But before going there, I remember at least two, maybe three, recent threads, all this winter, where members' fuel filler pipes have rusted through just above the right rear wheel where salt water gets thrown up, and the water has gone in and diluted the fuel, most noticeably after driving in wet weather.

-Chap

Delemi and bwilson4web like this.
  15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did put it this topic also that you will probably need new O-rings to install fuel injector. If fuel filler neck leaks you would have check engine for evap leak.

16. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The issue came back and after considerable frustration I find that there is oil some how getting into the intake. I am at a loss on how this is happening but by the residue it seems that it has been going on for quite some time. I am currently tearing it apart and will take pictures tomorrow. The oil was visible from the top of the throttle body assembly. I know this is an old thread but I think I am going to revive it and let people know what I find in case it happens to them.

17. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oil in the intake is normal for Atkinson cycle engine. Did you do the coil unplug test in neutral? Fuel trim numbers appear to be normal in idle (neutral) and under load (brake and accelerator in drive)?

18. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    There was so much oil in the intake that there was very little air getting into the cylinders. The air going into the cylinders carried oil. Fowling out the new plugs. It got to the point I couldn't accelerate over 35mph and the engine is struggling. I replaced all coils and plugs at one point. It started to misfire on all cylinders inconsistently. Mainly on 2 and predominantly on 3. I dumped about a half quart of oil out of the lower horizontal chamber on the intake. Several sensors are covered in oil. If this doesn't fix it it's going to the scrap yard.

19. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In neutral the car runs fine it isn't until it's moving above 20mph to 25mph it starts to misfire, just after the electric motor kicks off. I can watch the fuel and the crank signal on the scanner and they look consistent and within spec. I can see the misfire occur but the car is registering crank signal and the test light is showing me spark past the coil. The O2 sensor on the other hand is telling me it's burning rich. High fuel to air ratio.

20. Delemi

Delemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So i did the intake job today and its running much better however still misfiring. So I worked through the process from the beginning again.
    Removed #1 coil and it smooths right out and runs for about 3 minutes and shuts off with an error.
    I don't have the SnapOn scanner at home this weekend so I can't check it or watch what is going on. I want to say it is a fuel issue but I cant be sure and would be guessing at this point.

Any ideas?