1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius victim mentality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marlin, May 29, 2007.

1. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(natureboy9 @ May 29 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]451721[/snapback]</div>
    Just because they're out to get you doesn't mean you're not paranoid. :blink:

Dave M.

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ May 29 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]451712[/snapback]</div>

So - your take on it is that everyone in a Prius that has weird experiences, AND reports it, is a whiner, slow driver, marginally skilled???

My take on you is - I think you and everyone, with your kind of opinion, is Narrow-minded, a hot head, one of those nuts that makes blanket statements and assinine assumptions, without any facts whatsoever, and an all around jerk.

You are obviously marginally skilled at deductive reasoning, and you are misinformed to think you have the talent to come up with a plausible theory about anything.

My, you must have some kind of radar, or extraordinary vision, if you have seen us all on the Highway.

I guess you don't have the guts to confront and bully anyone in your own life directly, so you get on a forum to do it.

Bite Me.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Today I was almost rear ended by--a sedan--who thought it was a good idea to run the yellow light on the highway. It went into the next lane and cleared the intersection before the light turned red. One a-hole on the road, or two? I'll leave that call to you (all). BTW I was driving the Intrigue today so IMO I don't believe the car makes a difference. Sooner or later the problem may correct itself when certain people will have to choose between gas, alcohol & cigs.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 29 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]451632[/snapback]</div>

I had a license plate frame on my Prius which read "My other car is a SUV". My GF thought it was funny, but I got tired of it.

Now my license plate frame reads "Backoff! 500 Volts"

Yesterday, we got a guy honking at me because I signaled and made a left turn and he had to slow down. My GF is convinced that happened because my license plate frame isn't "friendly"

I think that its just because some drivers are jerks.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(natureboy9 @ May 29 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]451731[/snapback]</div>

The small town Aggie areas of nearly any state will be like the backwards areas of Texas. :) We have plenty of em around here, Galt, Oakdale, Oroville, etc.

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 29 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]451660[/snapback]</div>
    Agree with all except #5 and the last part of #4:
    #4: I have the Prius "gas electric hybrid" decals, and there are still a significant number of people I meet who still are not aware of the car or it's mileage.
    #5: We live in a shallow society and America has historically had a love affair with their cars; you may not be trying to make a statement with the car, but that doesn't mean someone is not interpreting it as one, and reacting poorly to it.

7. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Here's a short list of driving behaviors that most irritate people. I'm sure most Prius drivers who are the victims of "Prius Rage" are guilty of committing at least #1 or #4.

<blockquote>1. Any vehicle driving at or below the speed limit in any lane other than the far right lane. It is common law of the road that each progressive lane from left to right is for increasingly slow drivers. If you want to be the ire of your fellow drivers, just keep driving 62 in the middle lane of a 70mph roadway. If people are passing you on the right, you are guilty of this. Move over. You might even avoid getting rear-ended in the process.

2. Cutting people off unintentionally. People respect aggressive drivers, even if it annoys them. It's an American failing, but we admire people with power. People do not respect the driver that causes problems because they drive like they still have a Learner's Permit. The clueless driver is big middle-finger magnet. This is why cell phone using drivers make other drivers mad. Cell phones turn many otherwise competent drivers into the equivalent of a near-sighted 90-year old. So do people who are eating, wildly grooving to music, etc. So do people who stare at their MFD constantly. Turn off your MPG video game for a week or two and see if you still anger people.

3. Tailgating. We all do this sometimes and don't even realize it. Remember that a lot of the people that tailgate either aren't paying attention or don't think it's wrong. Give people the benefit of the doubt unless you see an irate expression on their face.

4. Looking/staring at other drivers a little too long. It's a sign of aggression and a territorial challenge in the animal kingdom. Things aren't much different on the highways. If you're one of those people who cannot help but crane your head over at the person passing you, consider at least wearing dark sunglasses. It's worthy, though, to note that for some reason it is acceptable to stare at people using your mirrors, as if our subconscious is telling us it's like watching TV.
    </blockquote>
    OK, now for a few factors that can make you more prone to being the target of rage. See, it's easier to physically show anger (expression/posture/glance/vocalizing) at a misbehaving child vs when the child's 6' 250lb dad is standing there next to them.

Humans are usually cautious by nature when expressing anger. The calculation of "could I physically beat/restrain/fight this person" happens in an instant without conscious thought and is the biggest factor that people go through when deciding whether or not to show anger toward another person. Sometimes we all show anger because the offense was so great that we leave all sanity behind and confront a physical superior, however, this scenario is not as common.

<blockquote>A. Cars without tint. If another driver can see you too well, they can size you up and decide to get mad at you. If you have tint, it's like a smoke screen that can delay anger. People do not want to honk angrily at another driver if there's a chance it's a pro wrestler or a drug dealer.

B. Any small and/or light or "delicately-colored" car (champagne, mint green, even white) is more likely to be the target of anger.

C. Any BMW. If you were conscious during the 80's, you know why. :)

D. Highly personalized vehicles. People do not want to know you. You invite prejudice when you personalize. I'm not saying you should not personalize your vehicle, but driving a Prius in Texas with a "No Blood for Oil" sticker will at best get you angry stares. The smaller the town, the bigger the reaction. Use common sense on this one. Prius owners pride themselves on the common sense they used when choosing their vehicle, but they seem to loose it all when it comes time to buy a bumper sticker.</blockquote>

I'm sure I could think of a few more things, but you need to realize that it's not just your Prius that is getting you those angry stares.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a new theory.

They're just drafting us trying to match our mileage :lol:

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 29 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]451830[/snapback]</div>
    In response to #4, this is what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 30 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]451872[/snapback]</div>
    Got it, agreed on that. I personally do't like those and wouldn't put them on my car. I put the decals I have on to spur interest and hopefully start a conversation, where I can then dispel some of the inaccuracies people have who even know what a Prius is.

My point was that I still encounter large numbers of people who not only don't know what a Prius is (and they really haven't gotten a lot of advertisement from Toyota until recently), but don't know what a hybrid (as it pertains to cars) is. Just lookin' to do my part to educate the general public.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 29 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]451871[/snapback]</div>
    Wittily spoken. :lol:

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  15. mac1

mac1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 29 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]451813[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. Last time I checked, Houston is not exactly a rural "backwards area" (odd politics, social mores and archaic laws notwithstanding).
    My commute is a high speed (most of the time) heavy traffic trip. I have lived in the LA area and have a pretty good grip on understanding traffic densities. I have also driven in most major large cities west of the Mississippi River, and more than a few on the east side.
    I used to ride motorcycles, Honda, BMW and yes, HD, and I am not a "whiner" nor I am unskilled, with a calculated total lifetime mileage of more than 1.5 million miles including multi -axle trucks, firetrucks, motorcycles, ambulances and cars. I have quite a bit of formal training in handling the specialized vehicles.
    It is not opinion, it is a fact, I am tailgaited far more often in my current car, the Prius.
    It's part of my life, and no more than a passing irritant, I just don't take it personally.

Mac

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mac1 @ Jun 2 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]453950[/snapback]</div>

You missed my emphasis on backwards areas of Texas. IE not the large metro areas like Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. I agree with the rest of your reply though. lol Like you stated, I don't take any of it personal either. I actually laugh at their ignorance and incapability to deal with their frustrations in a more constructive manner. 5yrs ago I would have just made them pull over so I could beat the %$# out of them. :(

17. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I was driving up to a red light with my two children, but there was a large bump in the road, so I slowed down for it, and then just coasted up the 200 feet to the light. Some lady in an SUV floors it into the turning lane and whips ahead of me, only to slam on the brakes at the aforementioned red light. I smile the entire time. Light turns green, lady floors it, but the SUV is too much of a slug to spin the tires. She races up to, you guessed it, the next red light a quarter mile away. I pull up behind her with an even bigger smile. This light turns green, she races away again. You guessed it again, the next red light another quarter mile away I'm right behind her again, but this time laughing. So she jumps out of her SUV and says "You won't be laughing when I back into you." I laid on the horn, and the interesting thing was there were workers along side the road who didn't even bother to look up. So that light turns green and she goes again. Surprisingly we both make the next green light, only to get up to the next light which she gets to and slams on her brakes for the yellow light so she can sit there while I catch up behind her. I was smart enough to get into the turning lane so she couldn't follow through on her threat. So the light turns green, and I refuse to make the left turn on the arrow, and she refuses to go forward on the green. So we're sitting there for about 30 seconds. And nobody behind us honks? Finally, when there was a break in traffic, I make the turn so that she can't because of all the oncoming traffic.

Oh, the other detail was I was driving an F250 pickup truck at the time. And she was within a couple seconds of me flooring the truck and pushing her SUV and her out of the way because my kids were in the truck and possibly in danger from her.

So it isn't just the Prius they're after, especially if they are completely nuts. However, I do think that drivers target the Prius more than the average vehicle. Someday I'll tell the story of the F150 Lightning owner on his way to church.

18. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

I think it's psychological in nature. I felt the same way after I got my Prius, thinking wow why am I being tailed and cut off and flipped off, etc. The reasoning behind this is simple, in my case anyway. I'm used to driving a sedan, so cars behind me feel a tad farther away from the rear windshield whereas on the prius the end of the windshield is basically the back of the car. Also, it's a hatchback so you see more of the vehicle behind you, enhancing their perceived presence.

Next is the cut off syndrome. The Prius has such a short nose that yes, people who pull in front of you are closer to your front end because your front end is that much shorter. At freeway speeds, these little differences in distance between us and those around us can have a great impact on our perceptions.

As for people flipping us off, it's simply because they are upset that driving over the speed limit and rocketing away from a traffic stop doesn't get them anywhere. They're embarassed, self conscious, insecure, and envy those who make better choices.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Jun 2 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]454149[/snapback]</div>
    It's those people who lack a sense of control in their lives that resort to such behavior in a desperate attempt to regain some semblance of power. When their miserable attempts fail, it exacerbates their sense of powerlessness and forces them to act out in rage and anger. People like this should be sent off to work camps.

19. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I agree totally with what you say regarding the shorter front end and the rear window being closer to the back end of the other window. What I think is that you can't take the aggression personally. In most cases they are having a bad day or are just generally a jerk anyway but YOU just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe they just found out their spouse is having an affair, or they're house is being forclosed on, or their kid is into drugs or crime, or they had an argument with someone. Doesn't matter what the reason - you still get the brunt of their aggression. Last year someone even got out of their car on Rte 93 S going into Boston, walked up to another car and shot into the window. Hit and wounded a little girl. You never know who's packin these days.

20. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 29 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]451457[/snapback]</div>
    Done!