1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius video - "2010 Toyota Prius brake problems. Easy fix, amazing documentry"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SlowTurd, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha. Maybe I'm paranoid with all the Sikes bulls***, but yesterday I was rolling down my (winter impassable) road, and saw a neighbor with his 3-y.o. kid. Little boy, so cute, was in his Carhart jacket with a little shovel helping his dad. I smiled an waved, passing slowly and away, and Dad gave me a Very Dirty Look. I don't even know these people, but my little paranoiac demon on my shoulder hissed, "Priusssssss hater!" :p

2. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That masked pissed-off Prius driver only covered Neutral and the Power button. Toyota can't use it for a driver training video until Brake Override, Brake Assist, and the Park button are included too.:eek:

Thanks.

3. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, to be honest, I thought you all would take offense to it. I am glad you did not. I am also happy to know you see the comedy of it, and not think I am some angry pissed off terrorist.

I did the cursing on purpose, tried to get 45 of them for 45 f-bombs per gallon like the car gets. I figured the video would get some attention, but not like the grand scale it is. I was contacted by KFKF in KC to be on their morning show, but I declined. I do not know what their intentions are.

Anyways, I am glad most of you "got it" :rockon:

4. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did make another video, answering some of the questions, and it only has one curse word at the end, but it only has 5k views, not 300k. The language is what makes the video, and makes it memorable.

Think of it this way, when Andrew Dice Clay was vulgar, he was on top of the comedy scene, when he came out and said that really was not his persona, now he can not be found anywhere. A-holes rule. lol :D

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. Brake override is activated by hydraulic pressure in the brake line. The parking brake is cable operated.

Tom

6. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Um yes it was me, not sure why you do not think it was? How many gasitmans do you know? :confused: And how many of them own a prius?

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

i didn't know if you were "fronting" for somebody else.

in particular...cossie1600

his car has the black leather seats in with a grey interior and a gps holder on the windshield. they seem to match the video to a tee.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ications/76880-black-seats-gray-interior.html

8. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No man, it is me. I see my furry little grey haired friend was outed in CA on the front page of the forum. I hope his nice person gets prosecuted and goes to prison for slander. What a dip-shit. :rockon:

9. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was a dumb question on my part. I went out a few hours later and applied the parking brake and it had no affect on the traction motors.

Somewhere in this same time frame I rediscovered that shifting to 'B'rake regeneration would be a good initial step to take along with braking. It also cuts ICE to near idle plus you get the beneficial regeneration effect slowing the car too.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One thing to remember about B mode is that it only cuts power when your foot is off of the accelerator. If you press the gas hard, B mode acts just like D mode.

Tom

11. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm... does it actually cut power at all. If you remove your foot from the accelerator you cut power. B mode just seems to introduce greater regeneration. I also just noticed only one other effect. While maintaining speed the ECO in the HSI goes off when shifted to B and back on when shifted to D again...but the green ECO mode light stays on regardless.

This reminds me of an unresolved question I've had. Is any harm done if you stay in B mode and/or use B mode at high speeds for long periods of time. Does it have a detrimental effect on efficiency and/or cost mpg?

12. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't attest to harm being done, but when I've accidentally left the gear in B, it struggled like any car in low gear when it doesn't need to be, if that makes sense.

13. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how to delete. I r a dum redneck.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I mumbled in some other thread, I'll never be able to shift
    to N again without hearing "you F*in' retard!" ... see, you've
    scarred me for life! And I, for one, appreciate it.
    Look at that! We're still alive!!
    _H*

15. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D

16. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it could be that gasitman is this guy. :rofl:

**nws***

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Power is controlled by the accelerator pedal, as usual. In the context of the quoted comment, the point I was making (rather poorly) was that B mode still provides full power when you give the car gas. As you back off the gas, B mode starts engine braking, where the ICE is used as an air pump to waste energy. B mode is also slightly more aggressive with regeneration, but engine braking is the biggest difference.

The point I want to make is to not expect B mode to slow you down in an SUA situation. If the car sees a command for heavy acceleration, B mode won't slow it down one bit.

Tom

18. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    B is for engine braking. AKA wasting energy. Its not going to magically slow your car down when your accelerating.
    What it is going to do is rev up that engine to de-accelerate your car when your foot isn't on the accelerator. (slightly increases regen too) what this does is give you a "downshift" feel - to save your brakes when going down a mountain.

19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today, when I exited the freeway onto a four-lane highway, I was cruising at about 40 MPH on the cloverleaf, quickly looked over my shoulder at the four empty lanes, and as I turned my head, I was horrified to see that the driver in front of me had come to a complete, dead stop!

I slammed on my Prius' brakes, and, thanks to the vehicle's low weight and ABS brakes, I came to a stop about 2 inches from her bumper. Yay, Prius!

I only wish that the guy who made this Prius braking video would make another video about a certain country that exports a vast number of pathetically bad drivers to the United States.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope the driver behind you stopped 2 inches from your bumper too. :)