1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs Brabus G500, impact physics IRL

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime8, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Brabus G500 4 Flips After Getting T-Boned by a Toyota Prius - The Drive

Minor injuries in both vehicles. Interesting anecdote since the belief is that the larger mass vehicle has an advantage in an accident, but engineers argue that the advanced technology in newer vehicles helps to reduce that imbalance. Of course in this instance the lighter weight vehicle struck the larger vehicle, so maybe the lighter vehicle would have absorbed more energy if that were reversed and this would be a different story.

2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 1 month old (at the time) 2600 lb Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, was T-boned by a 5500 lb GMC Suburban whose driver admitted that she was airheading as she blasted through a red light. My car had my entire family of 5 on this, my birthday, riding to a San Diego hotel. My oldest son, sitting at the door, a foot from the gas filler, and point of impact, suffered a bad whiplash for which he went to the hospital and then was released; he still has neck pain, at 42 years old, but no other injuries were sustained.
    I know a couple who were struck head-on in their 2400 lb Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 Veloce coupe, on the LA Vegas run by an older Chevy Impala; both people in the Alfa sustained injuries and are with us today; both people in the Impala were killed by the motor going through the firewall!! I BELIEVE in the (older) Alfa Romeos!! Mass has bearing; good engineering Rules!!

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sir Isaac said there is no truth in that.

But what is true is that the longitudinal stability of a car is far higher than its lateral stability - because it's longer than it is wide. Also, lower CG gives more stability in both directions. The Prius hit the side of the all-brick-battleship, thus pitting the Prius' low-CG and longitudinal stability against the brick's high-CG and lateral stability. Despite the mass advantage, the behemoth had no chance in such a circumstance.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You do not break the laws of Physics, the laws of Physics break you.

'LectroFuel and Trollbait like this.