1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbermanmd, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Basically, ditto to what Evan said, but one note:

I'm not sure about 'hip' -- it's tough to call, and I'm notoriously bad at it.

But I know one thing about college students: they move approximately every 8 months. So a hatchback is going to be very useful.

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Isn't the Matrix also a hatchback as well as the Scion xA, xB, and tCs?

Otherwise ya, the only mid-sized car with a hatch is the Prius.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have had all doubt removed by your responses. We are going to proceed with purchasing the Prius. Now we are just down to deciding about which package to order.

Thank you to everyone.

David

4. chas1969

chas1969 New Member

The Camry has a very small electric motor ... 45 bhp compared to Prius 67 bhp. I was very disappointed ! The Camry hybrid is rigged for speed not mpg. So if one was interested in the Prius in the first place (fuel economy and utility - 5 door hatch) then extra money for the hybrid system is questionable.

If I did any more than 40% highway and really wanted a Camry, don't buy the hybrid, get the jo-shmo reg 4 cylinder Camry.

My 2 cents or small 45 bhp motor in a big bucket.

CC

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I wonder how much of the poorer MPG in the Camry vs. Prius can be attributed to this. (Compared to, say, ICE size/power/gas consumption, aeordynamics, etc.)