1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs Golf TDI = New Blue Ribbon Metallic Prius lll

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mark54321, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mark54321

mark54321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted a thread about trying to decide between these two cars a month ago. Thanks for all your help and input. I researched them both, read the reviews from various sources, talked to the service dept's at Toyota and VW and listened to what you and the TDI forum had to say about the comparison.

Bottom line: I loved the TDI because it drove great and I have never owned anything but manual trans. Purchasing this car for me, would be a little like purchasing a PSL at the stadium...you know you are going to pay a lot extra for something you love to do. No question the TDI would cost more to maintain, require more expensive fuel, may still have issues w/ fuel/ emissions systems and there are fewer mechanics that really know how to work on these new clean diesels. Those that do are very busy and may charge a premium. Bring the car to a local mechanic for repair and you have to go through the process of renting a car from some rental agency.
    VW reliability issues have been a problem in the past. No telling if the Golf TDI will be any different. The local Toyota dealer has a courtesy car service so no rentals if I have to leave the car. Which I doubt I'll have to. Prius seems to need very little additional maintenance.

I was impressed w/ how much even sports car drivers on this site loved the Prius. It's not a sports car but it seemed to give good enough routine performance and the payoff in fuel economy was amazing. I can't believe what some of you on this site have done with this car. Your experience and insight really helped me.

Decision was to go w/ a Metallic Blue 2011 Prius lll. Paid $24,400 and could have forced the dealer to give it to me for $23,800 due to a botched offer by AAA. Thread on this in dealer section. But I had trouble finding the car I wanted...and after the Earthquake dealaers were acting crazy....so I paid a not too unreasonable price for the color combination I ideally wanted. I couldn't be happier w/ the car.

Picked it up yesterday....put about 200mi on it..Still snowing in NJ.....city and hwy...avg about 53mpg. It really is a lot of fun and has much more interior and cargo room than the TDI. I found a place to put in aftermarket leather and I'm considering the fog lights noted on this site. I hope that if I follow the forum's recommendations on how to drive it I can get even better mileage.

Nobody on the site seems much intersted in aftermarket alarms on this car....any reason? I would like to protect the valuables in my car and also have a way to give me a heads up if someone tries to steal it from my driveway at night. ...not much forum activity on alarms.

Thank you all again.

Mark C.

2. amorris

amorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Prius vs Gof TDI = New Blue Ribbon Metallic Prius lll

Congratulations on your new Prius. I think time and experience will confirm the wisdom of your selection. Enjoy your new ride, the high tech, and the great mpg.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

nice write up, thanks. you didn't mention emissions, but that's a big plus over the tdi. welcome and congrats on your new ride. all the best!

4. PalominoPrincess

PalominoPrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

My "Other Car" is a 1990 Firebird. I loved my '05 Prius. This new '11, now that I've discovered how awesome Power Mode can be when trying to get into 60+ mph traffic from a dead stop, is quickly outranking the '05. I still love my Firebird and will never ever sell it, but putting premium gas in it, and now trying to find parts if needed is very expensive. It's a standard shift, with t-tops, red and super fun. But the Prius comes close with all the techy toys inside.

We also very seriously considered the VW a year or so ago and came to the same conclusions. I think you'll be thrilled with your decision. :)

ETA: I picked up my '11 on Thursday. And you're right, the whole situation in Japan has made buying a new Prius an insane adventure. At least you got the color you really wanted! Blue was top on my wish-list.

5. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Congrats on the new Prius! I don't know what you're doing for aftermarket leather, but you may want to take a look at Clazzio seat covers for a reasonably inexpensive alternative. They look surprisingly good.

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Congrats on your new Prius! Not much talk on here about alarms because Prius has historically been very low (if not at the bottom) of the most desirable vehicles car thieves like to steal. It may have to do with the complicated ignition systems, which probably makes it harder to steal, or the misguided perception of the masses about the true sexiness of this vehicle! What ever the case, this may start to change with the current shortage of available vehicles, the increase in demand, and gas prices that want to continue to climb...

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Congrats!

I think you made a good choice, and I too wouldn't worry about installing an aftermarket alarm system.
    Until and unless gas hits like...10 bucks a gallon, I don't see the Prius being a hot target for would-be car thieves. I also don't like the idea of some punk kid trying to splice an aftermarket alarm system into an already complicated electrical system.
    You're already (almost certainly) forced to pay for full coverage insurance. Let the lizard worry about some cretin stealing your ride.

Good Luck with the car!!!

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Hot wiring a Prius to steal is damned near impossible. The few thefts I read about, the thief either came with a replacement circuit board (!) or was part of a sophisticated ring that put the car on a flat bed truck.

Enjoy!

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Congrats! Glad you made a decision that works for you...

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Congrats--enjoy.

11. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

the fog lights are a nice touch, (plus 50 watt hid lights for your low beams)

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Mark, MODIFY THAT S**T!

13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Congrats on the Blue Ribbon Metallic! I love mine too. Mine has the aftermarket KARR alarm. Yes, it was a dealer rip-off, but the system has a "non-scannable" code. Modern car thieves are using scanners to pick up your remotes signal, and then later, using the recorded signal to gain entrance to the car. If gas gets to $5 a gallon, you can bet Prius will be at the top of the list for thieves.

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Doesn't scanning the code of the key fob only gain you entry to the car? I don't think you'd be able to start the car, and mentioned previously, it would take a pretty sophisticated thief to hot-wire it!

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you mean valuables like nav mounted on dash, valuables on seat - don't leave anything in sight.

I don't think people break in to steal the radio/headunit.

There is no glass breakage sensor, but if someone opens the door, it will wail like a banshee. It is alarmed when you lock the door.

It has engine immobilizer. Basically, if they want to steal it, they need a tow truck. Car thefts have gone down with engine immobilizers.