1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Other hatchbacks: Utility?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BluetoothEdsel, Feb 1, 2014.

1. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought I'd own a Prius by now, but the right combination of price / features hasn't come my way (thought CPO would be the solution - but it hasn't gone well.) Now an opportunity has come up to pick up one of last year's Mazda3 hatch closeouts for several thousand less than a new Prius - but it's a compact, and wondering if how its hatch utility would compare to the Prius.

I'm not a mega-miles driver, though like anyone who commutes on SoCal freeways, I wouldn't mind the gas savings. I do need to trade out of my old Corolla sedan into a reliable hatchback that can haul a bit of stuff - but a crossover or Prius v would be overkill. Figured the liftback Prius would be the best of all worlds: a daily driver with good mileage that can also haul stuff: but now I'm wondering if the utility is really worth the added price? Definitely don't want to underbuy, but also don't want to overpay.

This will be my first hatch, so I'm curious if people who have owned compact hatches have any thoughts on the Prius's comparative utility. The Prius obviously measures bigger (except in height), and has that storage tray under the trunk. But it's hard for me to translate that into real-world usefulness without having owned either.

Thoughts on a) usefulness vs. other hatches? b) Anything else I should consider? Prius will probably save some bucks on maintenance down the line, but still not sure that'll offset the initial cost difference.

2. eroxie

eroxie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Oh I'm just the person you need to talk to! I use to own an 07 Prius pkg 3. I hauled almost everything in it. We live 60 miles from a hardware store or building center and own 8 apartments and 5 homes which equals mega amounts of repairs,of every kind. I hauled water heaters, carpet, doors, windows, etc! Yes we own a pickup but it only gets about 12 mpg so using the Prius as a hauler was a no brainer. It worked so well that last year I upgraded to the Prius V, so I'd have the extra room. No regrets what so ever! Granted there were times when we had to tie the hatch down because our load was too long to close it, but that worked well too,with not a lot of extra noise. After our 4 daughters left home I went from a mini van to the Prius. I was worried because I was loosing all that space, however I NEVER missed it. The extra gas mileage allowed me to now go see them scattered through out the state without giving up anything.
    I truly believe you will love the Prius. Sit down and figure out what you'll save on fuel will probably equal or surpass what your initial purchase difference is.

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you figuring gas savings into the price difference?

4. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I drive a Prius liftback and was in a similar situation as you. I purchased it when my 2002 Corolla was fading and did not want another sedan. I test drove a 2013 Mazda 3 iTouring hatch and was very, very impressed. Fun to drive, nicely equipped, and generous hatch space both with and without seats folded down. 155 hp SkyActive engine will also give you oomph when needed and decent gas mileage, but not as high mpg as what the Prius will get you. Check out Fuelly website for further mpg info from owners, if you haven't already done so.

I chose the Prius because I HATE black interiors in cars (well, that is not the only reason). The Prius was an excellent combination of functionality, good gas mileage, and reliability. It is not fun to drive for me but is a great car.

The Mazda 3 hatch will give you that rectangular hatch shape that may be more conducive for taller items. I have a Honda Fit as well and I can get some crazy tall stuff behind the seats that I can't fit upright in the Prius without folding the seats down.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you purchase.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While the Prius is no wagon, as a hatchback, it has a couple of things really in its favor. One, the size of the hatch opening is deceptively large. Two, the depth from the floor to the inside of the hatch glass is more than it appears. Yesterday I carried a huge three piece rolling mechanics toolbox set home from Sears; the car swallowed it no problem.

6. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is pretty square back there, which I think is good. Nothing worse than a curvy interior panel forcing you to smash the hatch closed. Can't recall my test drive of a '13 Mazda 3 to compare. I got two Gladiator Gearbox 30' cabinets in their shipping boxes in there. Had to squeeze myself in up front, but I didn't need to go home and get the Subaru Outback.

Besides the Mazda, if you go the non-Prius route, I'd consider checking out the Kia Forte 5. Nice car with a lot of features for the money. My old man is on his second Kia and he has had as many problems as his Honda before it, zero.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the other thing you can do with Prius is put a roof top box on for adding hauling capacity.
    But I believe you are correctly thinking a non-hybrid hatchback *might* be more cost effective than a Prius if you are not putting on the big miles/year.

I will try to run some calcs. I like to look at state taxes (gasoline+annual car taxes) to see fuel savings. In CA you have high sales taxes and some annual car tax that adds even more to Prius cost of ownership vs. Mazda3. OTOH, you have high gaso tax 72 cents, which adds to Prius fuel savings.

Do we have cost difference Mazda3 Liftback vs. Prius?