1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs other Toyota hybrids

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MayCaesar, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know my audience and try to avoid excessive verbiage. ;)

If you were able to import a Prius v it would lose its warranty after being registered in the US.

MayCaesar and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I'm trying to look out for my Canadian brothers and sisters :D

It's fine. I was being pedantic :p

Really? Most cars imported into Canada retain their full warranty.

MayCaesar likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota of Canada recognizes Toyota US warranty? That’s novel.

BTW I saw an ad here for DEP. I did not know there were any diesel Prii.

MayCaesar likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. There's a lot of US-spec cars up here (well a lot more than you think). Back in the late 2000s after the 2008 recession and the CAD was at par with the USD (surpassed it in 2007 actually), your cars were looking mighty affordable. A US$20,000 base Prius converted to CAD looks fantastic against our $31,280 for a base price. It's a huge discount.

It was the same for almost every car out there - the prices were based on an exchange rate of 1.4x to 1.5x (Your $19,990 2004 Prius cost $29,990 in Canada for example) so when the exchange rate dropped to 1:1, there were a lot of cars imported from the US (both new and used cars). Heck, even Prius cabs were US-spec (I can see the "headlight on" icon on the dashboard vs. the Canadian-spec which as the "taillight on" icon)

MayCaesar and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MayCaesar and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. MayCaesar

MayCaesar New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    After some consideration, I think that I prefer a regular Prius to Prius V, and Avalon Hybrid to Camry Hybrid. Prius seems to already have a pretty large hatch, definitely sufficient for sleeping and for hauling camping supplies for one person - I am not sure if the additional space of Prius V is worth the lost fuel economy. As for Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid simply seems like a better deal for the same price: a couple years older model, but since the design didn't change significantly in between 2014 and 2016, the Avalon seems to be a better bargain.

So the current list in order of preference is:
    1. Prius 2016 (probably Three or Three Touring model); Prius 2015 would also work.
    2. Avalon Hybrid 2013-2014.
    3. Lexus ES300h 2013.

I'm also looking at RAV4 Hybrid 2016 with some interest, but I'm not sure if a large cargo space, camping utility and AWD is worth the MPG hit - and a very steep price. If the price drops in the winter alongside the RAV4 Hybrid 2019 release, then it could be an attractive option.

This is interesting. How are such sales usually done: do the dealers from one country use their facilities in the other country to offer cars for sale, or do the buyers from one country buy directly from the dealers from another country? I'd imagine it could be very profitable for dealers to sell some of their cars on the other side, where they can hope to receive a better deal on them, while also offering a better deal to the buyer.

This doesn't look too bad. Only 2.5% duty rate? As for the certification labels, Prius V should probably be easy in this regard, due to its incredible fuel economy?

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remember that the Camry LE Hybrid has the same EPA mileage rating as the Prius. The newer generation makes a real difference. When comparing rating, remember the EPA ratings change again in 2017, lowering the EPA mpg of many vehicles.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Each country is separate (it came to a point where TMS [now TMNA] had to discourage dealers from selling to Canadians cause that means TCI is losing sales in an already tight margin situation).

You can buy directly from the dealership of the other country as long as they're willing to sell it to you and you have the funds to purchase (no financing since you're not a citizen of the other country so you have to provide your own funds or financing through your own country's bank)

Again, TCI runs on a tight margin - Canada's population is nearly the same as California so you can imagine how spread out we are (although something like 80% of the population lives within 100km of the US border). Selling a car here is tough because there isn't the economies of scale. The best selling Toyota is the RAV4 followed very closely by the Corolla (both selling 50,000 units each last year). This is comparison to Toyota North America (US arm) that sold 407,000 RAV4s last year and 387,000 Camrys. The Corolla was 3rd at 300,000 units. In 2 months, more RAV4s are bought in the US than in one year in Canada.

So in Canada, every sale counts. Losing 1000 sales is a big deal.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The above statement about the Camry LE Hybris only applied to the US version with the steel rims. The economy rating on the Canadian version is lower since it has alloy wheels.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. MayCaesar

MayCaesar New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Hello all!

I realized that I completely forgot about this thread and didn't make any updates.

I ended up buying Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium 2015: it turned out that my credit history was quite a bit worse than I thought, and I didn't have much room for choice and had to take the first financing offer that looked appealing. That said, I was completely fine with the idea of owning this car, even if it wasn't quite my top choice.

I'm extremely happy with it! The ride is very smooth and quiet, the fuel economy is as advertised (a bit less currently, as expected in winters), feels very well built and reliable. It is pretty roomy for a sedan: not quite the Prius or other hatchback/SUV's level of roominess, but enough to accommodate all of my goodies for long road trips, and then some. Sleeping is a bit uncomfortable, but with proper positioning on the back seat with bags used to fill the space in between the front and the back seats, I spend pretty good nights.

I'm on my 24 day road trip around the country, currently on the 8th day, and I only stayed at a hotel once to do laundry. Camping in this car is very doable: I mostly sleep at parking lots on rest stops that don't look too shady (preferring Welcome Centers, as those almost always have armed nightwatch). I don't have dark-tinted windows, but so far nobody bothered me: someone once knocked in the window to make sure I was okay, but other than that, no issues.

The car is a pleasure to drive, it corners very nicely and feels all around very stable on the road. The acceleration is far beyond what I need, and the automated features (such as parallel park assist) are great. Adaptive cruise control is the only missing feature I would really prefer to have, but it is a minor flaw.

---

Now, to be completely fair, were I shopping for a car again, and assuming I had a decent credit history, I would prefer the Prius. It is just more economical and, in my opinion, offers a better value for the money. However, I am perfectly fine with my Ford, I love it and do not plan on parting with it any time soon. There is a chance that I will move to Australia in a couple of years, and if that happens, then I will definitely buy a Prius there - but as long as I live in the US, this Ford is all I really need. :)

---

Oh, and something to note: this is a highway sedan. It is NOT an off-road vehicle. The slightest off-roading attempt leads to the car getting stuck in the mud and having to be towed. :( Then again, I suppose, a Prius would do even worse in those conditions, given the low ground clearance and tiny wheels.

In any case, I made it a rule to never-ever-ever leave the paved roads in Fusion. If the pavement ends and even a tiny portion of sandy/muddy roads starts, I always turn back and look for another entry point, or go to a different point of interest entirely. Sedans are absolutely not intended for those conditions, unless you really know what you are doing.

As far as highway or city driving goes, this car is a paradise! And it does well on all paved roads, even on broken country roads. It is when the consistent traction becomes problematic that it starts flipping.

---

Heading from Louisiana west towards Texas currently. Interested in how the Fusion will do in the deserty conditions.

Happy New Year everyone, and happy hybrid driving! (y)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats with your purchase and happy road tripping and new year!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! prius should not leave pavement either, just some advice when going down. under.

how many miles and how much?

all the best!(y)

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most people are surprised when I told them that a Prius comes with 15 inch wheels. What size does your car have on it?